Audio-Technica ATH-CKS1100 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 20, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #106 of 157
  Oh no. I've had that problem with my CKS99's, I was waiting to get the CKS1100's, but I'll just go for the IM-03's this time for balance.

The IM series has godlike vocals

I thought the CKR 9 and 10 had stellar vocals as well with better dynamics than the IM03. IM03 is on par in balance with the CKR9, but I thought the mids were a bit flat, and the soundstage just average for its price. CKR9 had average width but very deep soundstage and better imaging. Honestly you can't go wrong with both, but CKR9 at today's prices provides more value for me.

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #108 of 157
 Honestly you can't go wrong with both, but CKR9 at today's prices provides more value for me.

What would you recommend at around ~350-ish dollars?

I'm trying to get something that I'll have for about 2 to 3 years, I want something real balanced, great vocals, soundstage, rumbling sub-bass and very little to no sibilance.

I'm trying to find the right IEM for my soon-to-arrive X7

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #109 of 157

I'm trying to get something that I'll have for about 2 to 3 years, I want something real balanced, great vocals, soundstage, rumbling sub-bass and very little to no sibilance.

At that price range the FLC Technologies FLC8 meets all my needs. They were released 2014 but only starting to pick up steam here. They are dual-BA, single dynamic hybrids. Very tunable, with 36 different signatures and a small form factor. In default mode the subbass rumbles nicely with fast bass punch, no bleed into the realistic mids and just enough treble sparkle/smoothness balance. Excellent clarity and good soundstage. Best part is there's a mid-forward tuning available for vocal lovers like us. You can look it up in the FLC8 thread here. Right now it's the updated version FLC8S with a better cable.

Sounds like I'm advertising, so I'd rather direct you to ljokerl's review that persuaded me to buy it based on a single review. It's my favorite hybrid from all I've heard (DN-1k and 2k, XHA-H3). http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/flc-technology-flc8/ 

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #110 of 157

You won't get that with the IM03, unfortunately. It's an exquisitely balanced IEM and while you will feel the bass, there's definitely no rumbling going on. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #111 of 157

The X7 should be able to drive most IEMs without problem. Ex-owner of the X5ii here and its sound is excellent for the price. Do let me know how it goes. Only things stopping me from getting the X7 are the size and interface.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #112 of 157
  You won't get that with the IM03, unfortunately. It's an exquisitely balanced IEM and while you will feel the bass, there's definitely no rumbling going on. 

Agreed. Some things a dynamic driver simply does better.

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #113 of 157
Agreed. Some things a dynamic driver simply does better.

Because of the sheer size difference between BAs and dynamic drivers?

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #114 of 157
Because of the sheer size difference between BAs and dynamic drivers?

I don't know the science of it, but it's the dynamic driver's ability to vibrate and "move air" that gives it a more natural sound, punch, and speed.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #116 of 157

That also makes me interested in the JVC FX series, it's like a smaller DD, or so I've heard.

Had the FXT90 once, dual-dynamic microdrivers. Good fun V-shaped sound. Or you can go all in and get the FX850 Woodies. I haven't heard that though. The biggie Japanese companies, and I'm speaking generally here, Sony, JVC and AT, handle their dynamic bass very well.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #117 of 157
+1 for AT 
smily_headphones1.gif

I own the CKR-9s and the bass texture is heavenly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back