Audio-Technica ATH-CKS1100 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 3, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #91 of 157
The more impressions the merrier.

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #93 of 157
Welp according to USPS, priority 2-day shipping means 8 days before actually arriving. Good job, USPS. I have another package coming in late. Round of applause for USPS. Anywho,

They're finally here and when I saw them, my eyes widened as I see how HUGE the shells actually are. They don't seem to that much "taller" than my CKR10s when I lay them flat. The CKS1100 are maybe 5mm taller?  The headphone jack is larger as well, as in the jack slopes away from the jack (I got pictures that will show you what I mean).

The cable is a bit thinner and less rubberized than on the CKR10's. I'm assuming this is so it doesn't have as much cable noise but I wear them under my shirt anyways, so I don't have that problem with the CKR10's.

Onto sound (First impressions):

Well let me say that first off, I'm not very amazing at describing sound but I know what I like and what I don't so I guess that's something.

TLDR (for sound): I prefer the CKR10's but mostly just because I like the sound signature.

Indirect comparison (switching in and out of phone)
In more words, the bass just seems ever-so-slightly lifted a bit compared to the CKR10s, but the mids are just like dug out and just sounds lifeless. To me, that's kind of the make it or break it to me, because I really like a lifted mid section. The treble, I'd say is a touch more recessed compared to the CKR10's. The bass is pretty kicking but just a bit too much for the majority of my music library. Perfect for hip-hop and bass heavy genres.

The CKS1100 just sounds a bit lifeless and less exciting for certain songs.

Direct comparison (Running out of Fiio Andes E07K and I can plug in two IEMs at the same time)
I don't know if it's because I got more listening time, but now I'm thinking that the CKS1100 is starting to sound somewhat agreeable. Could be because I was running out of my phone but I dunno. 
Same impressions as I was getting before but with the mids less like a lifeless teenager. Still much more recessed than the CKR10's though.

All in all, I prefer the CKR10's. Guitars and vocals just sound right. With some mental burn-in with the CKS1100, I might start to hear some quirks with the CKR10s but for my first impressions I'm really liking my CKR10s a bit more.

Songs:
One Ok Rock - Jibun Rock
Sarah McLachlan - Angel
MrFijiWiji - Yours Truly (JIKES Remix)
Eminem - Not Afraid
2Pac - California Love
Egoist/Chelly - The Everlasting Guilty Crown

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #94 of 157
  Welp according to USPS, priority 2-day shipping means 8 days before actually arriving. Good job, USPS. I have another package coming in late. Round of applause for USPS. Anywho,

They're finally here and when I saw them, my eyes widened as I see how HUGE the shells actually are. They don't seem to that much "taller" than my CKR10s when I lay them flat. The CKS1100 are maybe 5mm taller?  The headphone jack is larger as well, as in the jack slopes away from the jack (I got pictures that will show you what I mean).

The cable is a bit thinner and less rubberized than on the CKR10's. I'm assuming this is so it doesn't have as much cable noise but I wear them under my shirt anyways, so I don't have that problem with the CKR10's.

Onto sound (First impressions):

Well let me say that first off, I'm not very amazing at describing sound but I know what I like and what I don't so I guess that's something.

TLDR (for sound): I prefer the CKR10's but mostly just because I like the sound signature.

Indirect comparison (switching in and out of phone)
In more words, the bass just seems ever-so-slightly lifted a bit compared to the CKR10s, but the mids are just like dug out and just sounds lifeless. To me, that's kind of the make it or break it to me, because I really like a lifted mid section. The treble, I'd say is a touch more recessed compared to the CKR10's. The bass is pretty kicking but just a bit too much for the majority of my music library. Perfect for hip-hop and bass heavy genres.

The CKS1100 just sounds a bit lifeless and less exciting for certain songs.

Direct comparison (Running out of Fiio Andes E07K and I can plug in two IEMs at the same time)
I don't know if it's because I got more listening time, but now I'm thinking that the CKS1100 is starting to sound somewhat agreeable. Could be because I was running out of my phone but I dunno. 
Same impressions as I was getting before but with the mids less like a lifeless teenager. Still much more recessed than the CKR10's though.

All in all, I prefer the CKR10's. Guitars and vocals just sound right. With some mental burn-in with the CKS1100, I might start to hear some quirks with the CKR10s but for my first impressions I'm really liking my CKR10s a bit more.

Songs:
One Ok Rock - Jibun Rock
Sarah McLachlan - Angel
MrFijiWiji - Yours Truly (JIKES Remix)
Eminem - Not Afraid
2Pac - California Love
Egoist/Chelly - The Everlasting Guilty Crown

It's the same weird sound I heard the first time using them. It'll disappear, at least I hope it does for your, since for me the mids are a lot more improved than they were on open box. Even Jant71 and dsnuts said the same thing.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #96 of 157
It's the same weird sound I heard the first time using them. It'll disappear, at least I hope it does for your, since for me the mids are a lot more improved than they were on open box. Even Jant71 and dsnuts said the same thing.

Yeah well I did get a used pair so it's probably a mental burn in or something.

Photos look great! How would you describe the fit in your ears with them being so big? Have you tried them with any custom foam tips(Comply etc)?

I tried and found comply a little too fussy with the squishing and fitting them into your ear so I use silicone tips.

They surprisingly stayed secure with the spirit tips that I use though they do look a bit bulky in your ear. The nozzle I found takes a little more work to fit than the CKR10s because of the big shells.

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #98 of 157
Saw them at Yodobashi Akiba . About the same price as the ckr-9s .

The CKS-1100 was priced at 25k yen and the CKR-9s were priced at 24k.

Just got the CKR-9 cuz they have crisper treble and more micro-detail.
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #99 of 157
I have had them for the weekend now, full review will be when I get my Fiio E12A but for now a first impression.
Compared to my IE80s wich already have a great bass the entire lower spectrum is amazing. The rest of the spectrum is a bit less detailed although the soundstage is pretty wide and good, just less detail and layers.

That being said the IE80s are pretty neutral and analytic so this was expected. The CKS1100 are much, much more fun to listen to. Especially electronic music. With the IE80s I got the wow effect when I learned to listen to individual layers and when I learned to listen to the details. The CKS1100 immidiately gave me the wow feeling. That being said I dont want to give the impression that the CKS1100 doesnt have any detail or richness. It still has a lot of detail and is overal a really great listen just not as much as other analytical IEMS in the same price range (which is expected).

TL;DR: If you like fun IEMS with a lot to offer in terms of bass quantity & quality and overal a good sounding and fun experience, the CKS1100 might be the IEM you are looking for. If you want to sacrifice bass quality and quantity for a more analytical and detailed experience look elsewhere.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #100 of 157
So do you guys think of the CKS 1100 as a sidegrade or a direct upgrade to the CKR 9, CKR 9 LTD ,and the CKR 10s ?
Personally i think its just a sidegrade.

Would love to see a real upgrade to the CKR series. Maybe they will be 13mm x2 with DLC coating with better tuning and maybe a resonance chamber to make the soundstage better and also a detatchable cable..... who knows? they might even introduce sound tuning to the CKRs successor 
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #101 of 157
  So do you guys think of the CKS 1100 as a sidegrade or a direct upgrade to the CKR 9, CKR 9 LTD ,and the CKR 10s ?

Would love to see a real upgrade to the CKR series. Maybe they will be 13mm x2 with DLC coating with better tuning and maybe a resonance chamber to make the soundstage better and also a detatchable cable..... who knows? they might even introduce sound tuning to the CKRs successor 
biggrin.gif

CKS1100 is part of the "solid bass" series, while CKR9 and so on have the "Sound reality" tag.

You're right, there's no proper successor to the CKR series just yet.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #102 of 157

biggrin.gif

I don't think the CKS1100 is within the same family as the CKR9 / CKR10, so I don't think they should be held as an upgrade (or a sidegrade, for that matter). They should be seen as a complementary IEM to something as excellent as the CKR family - a bassy, fun counterpart to the musical but relatively balanced CKR9 and 10.

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #103 of 157
Based on exp3rience, i3ms that "wow" right out of the box usually aren't that fun in the long run. But that's just what I have experienced, and a few others have said. Still cool to try

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #104 of 157
Just picked up a pair of these to replace my lost IM-03s (R.I.P)

Quckie impressions:

- As the flagship IEM of the Solid Bass line, the bass on these isn't as overwhelming as I feared. It's definitely prominent, but the bass isn't flabby. These things have serious thump, but the bass only comes out when called upon.

- Vocals are forward, perhaps a little too forward? Can't quite put a finger on it, but I definitely detect some sibilance. Might just need some burning in, who knows.

- IEM cable is pretty cheaply made and pretty crappy compared to the great build of the drivers. The inline remote works well and the L-jack feels solid, but the cable itself is rubbery and just doesn't feel good at all. I assume ATH will soon release a premium version cable similar to what they did with the IM series.

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #105 of 157
- Vocals are forward, perhaps a little too forward? Can't quite put a finger on it, but I definitely detect some sibilance. Might just need some burning in, who knows.

Oh no. I've had that problem with my CKS99's, I was waiting to get the CKS1100's, but I'll just go for the IM-03's this time for balance.

The IM series has godlike vocals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back