Audio Technica ATH-CKM99 Review
Apr 25, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #16 of 70
Great! I am looking forward to hearing another opinion! And especially compared to the GR07! 

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 70
Yep, the CKM99 vs. GR07 is a great comparison. Also look forward to it!

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #19 of 70
Quote:
Brief update.
At this point, the 99s have some sibilance issues, but otherwise are strong. My hope is, as has been reported, that with burn in, those issues will disappear over time. But to be certain, I am burning in the 99s for a few days. I compared the 99s to the UE500vi, which I got for $59 on sale, and the UEs are preferable right now. In fact, those phones still amaze me for the price (they are $79 usually). The 99s fit great, sound very good in general, but when the highs start to get going, the ssssss sound bugs me. I guess it's gonna take time. Could be a tip issue too, so tomorrow I will try some bi-flanges. But I hope the sibilance goes away.

Dang. Bad news to hear. The MTPGs have very smooth highs and very full mids. Hopefully, they'll work out for me.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #20 of 70
Dang. Bad news to hear. The MTPGs have very smooth highs and very full mids. Hopefully, they'll work out for me.

According to what I have read from the Kakaku.com community japanese reviews that the CKM99 owners wrote, sibilance issues seem to be tamed/toned down alot after doing some adequate burning-in (as is the case with most dynamic-transducers IEMs) and these phones seem to have pretty refined highs in terms of the frequency response judging from the written reviews, so I wouldn't be too worried. The only downpoint probably inferior to the other Audio-technica phones as mentioned in several of the written japanese reviews, is that when compared to CKS90 (Solid Bass series) 2 owners did mentioned that in terms of bass quantity the CKM99 does lose out to the former, but unless you're an absolute bass-head I wouldn't be worried about that. (in fact I would say most people who are fans of the Audio-technica sound sig, probably aren't even bass-heads speaking honestly) And if you were to ask me to compare btw my own collection, I would even go as far to say that my ESW9 has probably too much of the low-end for my tastebuds, compared to my CK100. (which the bass is just nice IMO)

If bass quantity doesn't seem to be enough for anyone, nowadays there are plenty of portable DAPs out there being able to EQ the bass to higher dBs of your choice, so probably not much of an issue to anyone who has a respectable DAP that has a custom equaliser. (with the exception of Apples players for sure).

My 2 cents.

Apr 29, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #22 of 70
I also agree that sibilence tames with burn in/more usage. It really isn't a problem to me as I find the whole signature quite smooth in general. 

May 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #25 of 70
I can see where you are coming from, I get the same feeling comparing the HJE900s to the GR07s. Those CKM99s are getting really tempting...I have a reversing channel adapter on my way and that could make this comfortable for over-the-ear use.

I love "balanced" v-shaped in-ear with good timbre (HJE900s/FX700s) for solo piano and these fit that description but I also can't justify getting it considering I already have the two mentioned. These could possibly dethrone the Panas though..

May 2, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #26 of 70
I am really loving my CKM99s too, and I agree they have the right amount of "fun" to their character, though I haven't heard them in comparison to the GR07s.

They have great bass, without being over-the-top, and just a wonderful smoothness.

I agree that a shirt clip could be helpful, and I wish they had a cord cinch. Although this is less of a problem, since I wear them in my jacket pocket, and don't use the extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back