Audio Technica ATH-CKM99 Review
May 22, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #46 of 70
I like the CKM99 WAY more than I did my HJE900s (even brighter treble!) and I even slightly prefer them to my MD Tributes (too much sub-bass!) I am in the process of comparing
them to newly acquired JVC FXT90 (dual dynamic) and it is a good showdown. The JVCs have a richer sound, but a bit muddier with less detail. Both are excellent for the price and have
very different presentations!

May 23, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #47 of 70
Got them a couple of hours ago...These have got to be one of the most comfortable IEMs to wear straight down for me. Over the ear is better with the channel reversed but is more intrusive than wearing them straight down. The fact that you can get good isolation without the need of a such deep fit with such a wide housing due to the large driver is very nice (take note Radius). But I don't like the cable's length because it's too long with the adapter and too short without it, same problem as the JVCs. They also seem to really need a chin slider because the y-split seems to start pretty early and it opens wide because of it. 

So far pre burn-in..The treble is harsh almost in the same vein as unfiltered HJE900s. I was expecting the FX500s to sound this harsh but they're not and actually sound more refined throughout the treble. The mids are slightly laid back but not too bad. I actually like the bass on these, it has nice depth without too much presence but the FX500s have a more textured bass though which I sort of miss going back to the ATHs. These are actually somewhat cold and bright, pretty contrasting to what I was expecting but it isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

May 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #48 of 70
^^ Any further impressions after burn-in?

I've not been using mine that much as I've almost exclusively been using my EX1000s, but every time I go back to the 99s I still think they're a really excellent sounding IEM for the price and am very happy I got them. Build-quality is EXCELLENT. I personally think the cable length is ideal but I do agree they should come with a chin slider. The CKM99s are certainly not perfect but I view them as a sort of hidden gem, though definitely not recommended for those too sensitive to high frequencies.

May 27, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #49 of 70
I personally hadn't heard a dynamic like these, it almost seems like a dynamic version of the Q-Jays. Burn-in is actually going pretty well so far.  I notice less harshness, more bass and a lusher midrange. Dynamic range seems outstanding, reminding me of the DDMs. It's still a bit bright for my taste, but only time will tell as I'm taking my time with these. 

A little OT, but which Ipod (nano 4G or 5G) gives a clearer more forward midrange with the CKM99s? I'm finding my clip+ to sound a bit dark compared to the Touch (with FX500/CKM99) so Im looking elsewhere for an ultraportable. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #51 of 70
Can anyone compare these with the Sony EX600? [2]

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #52 of 70
Well I decided to get both the Sony EX600s and the CKM99s since I could just return the ones I didn't like. I had the EX600s for about 2 weeks and I just got the CKM99s a few days ago. Ultimately I sent the EX600s back. The EX600s do overall have slightly superior sound quality, but the CKM99s suit my sound preferences more and are IMO a better package altogether. Also the EX600's ergonomics annoyed me. Here are my impressions of both:

Note: if you're a believer of burn in, my CKM99s only have about 20 hours of burn-in.

The CKM99s have a slightly V-shaped sound signature, whereas the EX600s are pretty flat, well balanced. The CKM99s have amazing bass, the quality is great and there is more bass quantity and body than the EX600s, although the EX600's bass still has a decent quantity (by my somewhat basshead-ish preferences
tongue.gif
) and even better (slightly but noticeably) quality and texture. The EX600's bass reminds me of the e-Q5's bass in many ways; amazingly well controlled, a relatively short decay, and very textured. Both the CKM99s and EX600s have clear smooth mids, though I find the EX600's mids slightly clearer. As for the highs, the CKM99s do indeed have emphasized highs, brighter than the EX600s, though I don't find it too bad. The EX600's highs are noticeably smoother, but I think I'll let the CKM99s burn in more before I make more comments about their highs.

The build quality and comfort of the CKM99s are really amazing, they're the most comfortable in-ears I've worn. They are designed to be worn downwards, and putting them on and getting a snug fit is so easy. The isolation is really good too, about the same as my e-Q5s. I can barely hear anything on the subway while listening to music. They also barely stick out of your ears. The EX600s on the other hand are designed to be worn over-ear. I don't have a problem with over-ear designs, I don't really prefer them, but I found the Westone 2s very comfortable. However the EX600s were a bit of a hassle to get snug and fit on my ears. Wearing them, I never felt that my fit was totally secure, no matter how long I spent adjusting them. Although they never actually fell off my ears, they always felt loose and felt like they would. The EX600s also stick out of your ears a good amount, and as others have mentioned, this makes wind noise a problem. Microphonics are not a problem on either the EX600s or the CKM99s.

As for accessories, the EX600s come with a fancy leather case. However, it's huge and using it while commuting is very, very impractical (not that I've tried, but I imagine it would be). On the other hand, the CKM99s come with a nicely sized leather pouch that can easily fit into your pocket.

I'll probably have more to say later.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #53 of 70
Yesterday got the ATH-CKM99 (I had before IEM Sony MDR-EX510). Was in doubt between him and the EX600 but I decided CKM99 with the help of a friend who owns both IEM.

Unboxing video I made of the ATH-CKM99

Photos:

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #54 of 70
I have to put my review out. I have also just picked these up and on first listen the treble was extremely harsh, however, after a little break in period and some casual listening they are moving from mid-high focus down to a nice balanced sound. So if you are interested definitely pick them up... Great sound just give them a few hours and you'll be pleased.

Oct 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #55 of 70

Quote:
Yesterday got the ATH-CKM99 (I had before IEM Sony MDR-EX510). Was in doubt between him and the EX600 but I decided CKM99 with the help of a friend who owns both IEM.
Unboxing video I made of the ATH-CKM99
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4YSTmEfGAg

Interesting, it seems the carrying pouch is the same that came with the CK100. Are you using the Sony Hybrids?

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #56 of 70
I purchased the CKM99s from takoyaki7, i like them a lot. if only i could read people's lips i could wear them all the time.

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #57 of 70

Quote:
Interesting, it seems the carrying pouch is the same that came with the CK100. Are you using the Sony Hybrids?

yes, I'm using the sony hybrids. I thought they better than ATH.

sony hybrids that I am using are the ones that have foam inside: http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/EP-EXN50S/

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #58 of 70
I know I just bought the ATH-CKM99 but I'm already eyeing the next release of the Audio Technica which will replace the current flag ship of the IEM dynamics.

The Audio Technica will launch the ATH-CKM1000 on November 19.

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/products/hp/ath-ckm1000.html

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/products/hp/ath-ckw1000anv.html

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #59 of 70

Unboxing video I made of the ATH-CKM99:

Video presentation (IEM and its accessories) I made the ATH-CKM99:

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #60 of 70
What's the soundstage like on these? I've been torn between the EX600 and the GR07 but these are entering further into the picture now that I've read the treble might not be as harsh as I originally thought(less than the HJE900s, when i thought the HJE900s weren't too bad with treble).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back