audio-technica ATH-CK100 Impression
Feb 18, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #16 of 71
Reason that not many people have this IEM is probably because of the big price...and the fact that most people like strong bass, which IE8 and W3 delivers...

I listen to a lot of Reggae music...Hows CK100 sounds on that?

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #17 of 71
Well too bad I ran out of yellow foamies right now, I might try it when I get some
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #19 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reason that not many people have this IEM is probably because of the big price...and the fact that most people like strong bass, which IE8 and W3 delivers...

Well in my place the price is not that different from W3.

As for bass, currently the burn in really does help but still it wont do magic. Judging from other review from other Japanese site. I can be pretty sure that their bass quantity cant compare to the SE530, TP10pro and W3. So if strong bass is one of your criteria. CK100 is not what you're looking for. Personally I think ER-4 fans should try this.

As for Reggae music, I'm not familiar with that genre, if you want you can give me a sample and I'll try it for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #20 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i think the reasons are the crazy high price and the fact so very very few places sell it, not sure what its like in the us but in the uk i dont think there is anywhere that has it

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #25 of 71
they are actually not expensive compared to westone and others. they are just not exported that is why they seem expensive. on the street in japan, they are no more than 350$ usd which is cheaper than many other triple driver phones out there.

conversely, even an atrio m5 is 200$ in japan and the shure and ue phones are another 1/3 the price that they are in the usa. so people there are probably wondering why an all plastic phone that looks like a small black marshmallow costs nearly 500$

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #27 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update of bass after 100+ burn in:
After burn in, the bass is significantly better, quantity wise, it's now even more than my Shure E4g. But still burn in wont do magic so although the bass is now more prominent, I would still think that the W3, IE8 or TF10pro would have even more bass quantity. The CK100 now has a much fuller and balanced sound. It feels like I'm listening to a full size headphone, the details in the bass region is also pretty impressive. I noticed in one of my song a fast bass line that I never noticed in the E4g. The bass is also kinda fast, with relatively short decay. Tightness is just so so, the E4g's bass still felt tighter and even more so with the Sony's Clear Bass setting. Non-responsiveness to equalizing is no longer a problem, CK100 now benefit quite a lot from equalizing, but I dont think equalizing is necessary unless one wishes for more bass.

Well, that's just great - if the CK100 has more bass that Shure E4s, then it's more than enough for my tastes. I think that it may actually be a prefect IEM for me. My Westone 3s are coming today. If I won't like them, I'll sell them and save up for the CK100.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #28 of 71
Yesterday I went to a friend's house, and I got the chance to try out the SE530. The hissing are kinda annoying IMO. Compared to the CK100, the SE530's bass are absolutely more prominent, but that's all. To me the CK100 wins in terms of separation, imaging, highs and even the mids. The CK100 mids sounds much more intimidating to me, the highs on the SE530 are kinda roll off and recessed, the CK100 high simply sounds more prominent, extended, clean and clear. Overall clarity and sound balance is still better in the CK100.

My friend who had tried a lot of IEM including the Westone 3, IE8, TripleFi10 and SE530, said he definitely prefer the CK100 to the Westone 3 and Triple Fi. To him the triple fi is too colored, and the Westone 3 loses out in the highs and *bass*, "the CK100 have more bass".(Yes I'm pretty shocked by this statement too, he is also using his UM56 tips with the Westone 3 too so I got nothing to say cause it's impossible that he'll get a bad fit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back