audio-technica ATH-CK100 Impression
Apr 16, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #48 of 71
hmm... non-existent.. heh that's not good >.< thanks

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #50 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by dctokyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the ck100 over the ck10, is it worth it?
I can get the ck100 for 32,000 yen and the ck10 for 20,000 yen,

Looking for something that has great isolation but sounds close to my victor FX-500's, great mids and highs, clean sound.

I own both CK100 and FX500.

I was deciding between CK100 and CK10 when wanted to get a pair of 'phones for female vocals, and I ended up picking the CK100. CK10 has a brighter treble and overall sound than CK100, and has a rly 'clean' sounding female voice, but its bass is utterly nonexistent. I had to turn up Clearbass on my Sony A728 to max before I could get any decent bass response at all. The CK100 is pretty much a super upgraded version of CK10: the treble is not as bright and more controlled, female vocals in return sound very rich and smooth; the soundstage is much deeper, giving very good sense of layering; bass is much more prominent, i'm very satisfied with Clearbass at +2. So the answer to your question, YES, CK100 is worth the extra money over CK10.
wink.gif

As for CK100 vs FX500, honestly there is no comparison haha.
Now that I go back and listen to FX500, it sounds muffled, its bass is very loose and bloated, highs kinda recessed, and vocals are very behind and flat sounding, female vocals sound dry and thin. CK100 isolation is also much better than FX500.

However, if you're the type of person who enjoys lots of bass, CK100 might not be the one for you, maybe look at IE8. BUT if you want amazing sounding female vocals, i honestly think there is no other IEM that can do better than CK100.

btw, i think we should start a CK100 appreciation thread!!
smile_phones.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #53 of 71
Based on multiple reviews (including mine), CK100 quite thin on bass and that deter interested people from getting it. I find it sufficient though. Currently soozieq have CK100 for audition but it's getting cold and dusty since UM3X getting the love now hahaha

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #54 of 71
if the bass of the ck100 is more than the ck10, i wonder what people think who have the pfe? i have owned the pfe and it was not for me but a great phone. the ck10 sounds better, fuller and smoother in all regards. why, oh why would people be turned off a phone that has more bass than a phone that has more bass than a phone that is immensely popular here?

haha. ck100 must be lovely.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #55 of 71
I agree... i personaly think CK100 is brilliant! the bass is more than enough for most of the music i listen to. In fact, i think ck100 is more balanced than any of the other 'phones i own, and i can listen to them for a long time without fatigue

now that i'm so used to ck100, when i go back to listen to c751, its bass hurts my ears lol

Jun 16, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #56 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if the bass of the ck100 is more than the ck10, i wonder what people think who have the pfe? i have owned the pfe and it was not for me but a great phone. the ck10 sounds better, fuller and smoother in all regards. why, oh why would people be turned off a phone that has more bass than a phone that has more bass than a phone that is immensely popular here?

haha. ck100 must be lovely.

X2 with the CK10 > PFE. I think maybe the CK10 has a little better build quality also
wink.gif

Yes, perceived lack of bass scares many away from the CK100 especially at almost $400 and of course, the "popular" brands are also a much easier sell in case it doesn't work out.

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #57 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 with the CK10 > PFE. I think maybe the CK10 has a little better build quality also
wink.gif

Yes, perceived lack of bass scares many away from the CK100 especially at almost $400 and of course, the "popular" brands are also a much easier sell in case it doesn't work out.

That is why I cant make up my mind to get ck100, it is not that easy to let it go if it does not work not

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #58 of 71
Attention bass-fi members! ... Just kidding
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for the impressions Sieg. Close to AD2000, sounds very promising.

Can someone who owns these and is not fixated on bass-performance, comment on how well it produces notes and how accurately it displays pitches? Say, on a "HD650s are tone deaf and AD2000 are nirvana (although they're really not)" -scale? Notes, notes I say! Why don't people listen to melodic structures
frown.gif
... I mean I've heard stereo sets costing up to 200,000 usd that sound like utter **** because they don't play music. Sorry to open out like this, but it's a real concern for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #60 of 71
it is lovely in that combination. i realise that i am not a basshead on the same level as some of us: if the WM-2 from Mingo isn't that bassy to one of our number: Average Joe, and the CK10's bass is 'non existent', then I am simply out of my league.

However, I would not call the FX500 bloated or muddy in comparison - it is merely a different flavour. The CK100 is a very mid-defined headphone, one which brings details from every instrument to the forefront: as long as it isn't bass. Bass, while great, is laid back. Even after really enjoying the CK100, I would not change my opinions on the FX500 as one of the best inner earphones on the market despite a few flaws.

Every earphone has flaws and unfortunately will not work for everyone, no matter how 'perfect' it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back