Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Feb 11, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #1,531 of 1,585

I tried the CK10 last night and it honest was an eye opening experience! I have never tried BA iems before and if I were to use one word to describe it, it would be Vivid. It was love at first listen lol. I was under the impression they would be flat and boring but they definitely were not that!

Definitely agree with your first experience. BA drivers are very very different in their response compared with dynamic and CK10 are definitely one of the best implementation of dual knowles drivers. I have tried multiple earphones in the similar and lesser price range - dynamic, single BA, dual BA and for my money CK10 delivers the best sound to fit my requirements. You'll fall in love with their clarity, speed and transparent nature.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,532 of 1,585

Definitely agree with your first experience. BA drivers are very very different in their response compared with dynamic and CK10 are definitely one of the best implementation of dual knowles drivers. I have tried multiple earphones in the similar and lesser price range - dynamic, single BA, dual BA and for my money CK10 delivers the best sound to fit my requirements. You'll fall in love with their clarity, speed and transparent nature.

Too bad they are discontinued :frowning2:  

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,533 of 1,585
Too bad they are discontinued :frowning2:  

Check out IM02 which I found at very very similar in sound to CK10. I got them recently and don't miss the CK10 anymore!!

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #1,535 of 1,585

Thank you for the recommendation! I hear that they are quite harsh though? I found the CK10 to be quite smooth. Maybe I need to try them out myself somewhere. No way for me to do that here in Toronto :frowning2:

By harsh do you mean IM02 having too much sibilance at the top end making it too bright on the ears? Just wondering because I would describe IM02 smoother than CK10 by all means - could be just a different choice of words though.

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #1,536 of 1,585

By harsh do you mean IM02 having too much sibilance at the top end making it too bright on the ears? Just wondering because I would describe IM02 smoother than CK10 by all means - could be just a different choice of words though.

I haven't heard the IM02 mind you, I was going by what I read from the various threads? Too many conflicting impressions so I don't know what to think at this point.

is the IM02 suitable for contemporary or perhaps top40 music? The CK10 sounded good with whatever I tired.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #1,537 of 1,585
  That's a shame about the comfort. I bought mine in 2010, based on your review and have been very satisfied. I have large ear canals and they just disappear inside - can barely tell that they are there. 

I'm very glad to hear that you have been satisfied. So have I. It's just that I'm a comfort nut and while the CK10 does disappear, its metal shield rubs my ears the wrong way.

May 17, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #1,538 of 1,585
Found a used pair of CK10 for a very good price, so I ordered it. Can't wait to see what the fuss is all about. Had the IM02 and really loved it, regretted selling it away. Coming from the IM02, what should I expect from the CK10? Is it an improvement over the IM02 or more of the same? (I'd be happy either way!)

EDIT: Got the CK10 now

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #1,540 of 1,585
Hmm, what is it with ATH and discontinuing their good products? The right channel of beloved ATH-CK7s died after going through the wash (...) and I'm looking at a replacement for them. Absolutely *loved* their sound, especially after I got the Soundblaster E5, and also the look is fantastic. Sadface.

CK-10s caught my attention as they're similar looking, however I guess I'll just have to keep looking. ATH-IM02s are well over AU $300 here, but maybe they're worth getting from Amazon?

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #1,541 of 1,585
I don't really think the IM02 and CK10 sound all that similar. I no longer own the CK10, so these thoughts aren't from direct a/b but the IM02 is a good bit bassier, with a fuller lower mid resulting in less clarity. Also its treble is easier going than the CK10. Plus the housings are a monstrosity compared to the diminutive CK10.

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #1,542 of 1,585
  Hey, just wondering, where did you buy them from?, also anyone know a site where they are still sold, preferably new but used is still fine, thanks in advance.

I bought them used from e-earphone.jp, forwarded to Tenso and then shipped to me. Currently they don't have any used CK10 in stock, but they do pop up from time to time so keep checking back. I couldn't find a new CK10 anywhere online.

Had the CK10 for a week now and find them quite a bit brighter than the IM02, but am enjoying the increased resolution and clarity. Really liked the small size and outstanding build quality. These are fine IEMs even by today's standards!

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,543 of 1,585
I don't really think the IM02 and CK10 sound all that similar. I no longer own the CK10, so these thoughts aren't from direct a/b but the IM02 is a good bit bassier, with a fuller lower mid resulting in less clarity. Also its treble is easier going than the CK10. Plus the housings are a monstrosity compared to the diminutive CK10.

I completely agree, that was my finding as well after I got the CK10. My ears get fatigued more easily because of the heightened treble of CK10, but I do enjoy the sound so far.

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #1,544 of 1,585
I completely agree, that was my finding as well after I got the CK10. My ears get fatigued more easily because of the heightened treble of CK10, but I do enjoy the sound so far.

Try Sony Hybrid tips (they have narrower bore) and try to get as deep fit as possible (the deeper the better for taming treble response). Those two things helped my when I owned them.

They are definitley classics. Nothing else like them out there.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #1,545 of 1,585
who rouses this thread?  haha.  i still love my babies.  even after i got my -R, i still use them fairly frequently.  when it comes to things like female vocal trance, there is nothing better.  if someone wants to ship me their IM02, i'd be glad to do an a/b... 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back