Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Jun 18, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,516 of 1,585
  My ears canals are very very narrow. The CK10 is uncomfortable for me. I've had them since 2008, so I am probably the most CK10-experienced headfier. I didn't start this thread, but I have the unique privilege of tipping of our OP and a number of people back in the day. I am proud of my accomplishments, and I love this earphone. But... it never has been comfortable for me.

That's a shame about the comfort. I bought mine in 2010, based on your review and have been very satisfied. I have large ear canals and they just disappear inside - can barely tell that they are there. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #1,518 of 1,585
think im going to give these a go, will post my thoughts soon
[/quote I don't think you will regret it. Give them a little time. Specially if your coming from a darker sq. I've have lots come and go including the w4 r.. 535. Ue900 and so on. But since I've had these the thought has never crossed my mind to get rid of them. I don't use them all the time only because if something happens to them they are really hard and expensive to find Lol but when I do its such a treat :)

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #1,519 of 1,585
I am into a lot of rock, specifically progressive like mars volta and tool etc where a lot is happening and I want all the instruments to be crispy clear.

I have had loads of headphones but all of them have never been able to handle solos very well like it sounds harsh on my ears.

Would anyone recomend these or a similar brand for what I want? They are discontinued in the UK so maybe impossible to get them but I heard they were great.

I have an amp for any lacking bass. I just want all the mid range and upper range instruments to be super crispy clear. Bass isn't so important but I like a good soundstage.

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #1,521 of 1,585
  I am into a lot of rock, specifically progressive like mars volta and tool etc where a lot is happening and I want all the instruments to be crispy clear.

I have had loads of headphones but all of them have never been able to handle solos very well like it sounds harsh on my ears.

Would anyone recomend these or a similar brand for what I want? They are discontinued in the UK so maybe impossible to get them but I heard they were great.

I have an amp for any lacking bass. I just want all the mid range and upper range instruments to be super crispy clear. Bass isn't so important but I like a good soundstage.

well the cx10 is rather spectacular treble wise, quiet probably the best treble of any BA IEM ever but its pretty prominant and it takes no prisoners.  if you feed it crap, especially if you feed it crappy abrasive, harsh treble it will take an ice pick to your ears.  just you mention things sounding harsh so im thinking it could well be your source material thats the problem.  if so getting the ck10 would be a very bad idea.

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #1,522 of 1,585
Check out the Etymotic ER-4S as well. It and the CK10 really require reference plane (deep) fit to portray the treble accurately. When you get the right fit, both are pretty special and perhaps unmatched in treble.

Aug 1, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #1,523 of 1,585

try finding here a used RE-272

i have had mine 3 years now , and will never sell it

i also dig tool/mv etc so you will dig the sound - having also an amp solves the lean/small bass thing

if lucky, you could get one here for 200$ , no need to shell out 600$ for dita etc

cheers

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #1,524 of 1,585
Pulled these out of my bag after not using them for the last couple months.kinda scared to use them that much because they are really hard to find if I break them .holy crap I can't take them out of my ears now lol these are still sooo good.I put other earphones in after these and and everything else sounds muddy in comparison. Wow. .just wanted to give these some loving ☺

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #1,525 of 1,585
Hi there, I did try doing a search before posting this question.  Since the CK10 is now discontinued, are there any other universal IEMs that have a similar sound signature?  Is the Etymotic ER4 close?  Thanks.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #1,527 of 1,585
yeah, not having actually heard the IM02, i've read that it sounds alike.

for the first time in a long time, i listened to music with my ATH-CKM50s.  they're typically reserved for when i play computer games or ASMR prior to sleeping.  decided to a/b them against the ol' CK10 for giggles.  i've been bitten by the head-fi bug again (now that i have the means to buy what i want) and am shopping around for a custom (but that's another story.)  it astonished me how big of a difference there was between these two IEMs.  granted, the price difference is an order of magnitude (but really, the CK10s are priceless to me) and one is a dynamic and the other a BA, but i'll give a mini review a shot, comparing a former BA flagship against an entry level dynamic..  haha.

so i listened straight from my MBA using iTunes 256kbs AAC.  why this setup?  because i'm saving for customs (looking at you, Hidition NT6)!  spending like 80 bucks for the schiit fulla or 300 for the ME2 can all go towards the custom, which i would be listening to from my phone/computer anyways (then i'd invest in a DAC).  i listen to a wide gamut of music, from electronic/dance, to rock, to metal, to pop, to classical, to country.  i have a thing for female singer/songwriters, so a lot of what i listen to is like Ella Henderson, Birdy, and most recently, Ruelle (check out up in flames if you haven't).

The first thing that becomes incredibly apparent is the highs.  they are so tinny on on the CKM50.  violin doesn't sound natural at all (i believe this is timbre?) and vocals sound really sharp, and not in a good way.  switching to the CK10 presents a night and day difference.  suddenly vocals sounded natural.  softer and more real.  a circle instead of a triangle (get it?).  strings and guitar also sounded much more natural and extended.  the treble rolled off a lot with the CKM50, and its really noticeable when you listen to the same piece with the CK10, of which the treble seems to extend forever and effortlessly.

the next thing that i noticed was the bass.  loud and strong on the CKM50.  it definitely hit hard and i could feel it.  however, the bass extension wasn't quite there for me.  the mid bass, the impact, was there, but the low sub bass rumble was absent.  and the downside of having a hard hitting mid bass is that it bleeds over into the midrange.  bass decay also wasn't there, so the mids definitely were veiled.  best described as having a cotton ball in my ear whilst listening.  the CK10 could resolve tiny details across the whole frequency range the CKM50 couldn't even detect.  the buzzword for the CK10s is clear.  clear clear clear.  its pretty close to sitting next to whatever or whoever is playing you music.  of course the CK10 is known for its neutral (light) bass.  the quantity isn't there, but the quality is.  you can hear it all the way down to the sub bass, but the punch isn't there.  the decay is pretty perfect in the sense the bass doesn't linger longer than the song intended.

not much to say about the midrange, as i didn't listen for that and i'm too tired to a/b more.  haha.

notes about durability and the cable.  i love the cable of the CK10.  its rubberized and incredibly bendy. there's no microphonics when worn over ear.  it has been exposed to every temperature from sub freezing to 90s and humid.  i haven't had any issues with it.  i wrap it over/under and keep them in the soft case they came with, and they hold no memory.  my only complaint about the build is the stress relief (its not even a real stress relief) at the IEM has a small tear.  its more of a sleeve for the cable at the IEM more than anything else.  it was because i slept with them in once, and i decided to never do that again.  the face plates are pretty beat now, but hey, its the character they build over 5 years of use.  the CKM50's cable is not as good, obviously.  its thinner, not quite as rubberized, and holds some memory, depending on how i store it.  microphonics are ever present, which is annoying because the cable extender happens to hang at my hip when i'm sitting, so its beating against the chair and making noise the whole time.  definitely a cheaper cable.  but i have no fear using them, so i'm sleeping in them and whatever else, because short of stepping on them, i think they're very durable.

anywho, that's about it.  feel free to ask questions.

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #1,528 of 1,585
After owning CK10 a couple of years back (and painfully having to sell them off), I've just purchased ATH-IM02.

Posted my short review and comparison with CK10 here: www.head-fi.org/t/753438/short-review-audio-technica-ath-im02-dual-driver-ba 

Will be happy to answer any questions on their comparison with CK10 or otherwise. I am extremely happy that I finally have the CK10 sound back in a much better package overall. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #1,529 of 1,585
  After owning CK10 a couple of years back (and painfully having to sell them off), I've just purchased ATH-IM02.

Posted my short review and comparison with CK10 here: www.head-fi.org/t/753438/short-review-audio-technica-ath-im02-dual-driver-ba 

Will be happy to answer any questions on their comparison with CK10 or otherwise. I am extremely happy that I finally have the CK10 sound back in a much better package overall. 

I tried the CK10 last night and it honest was an eye opening experience! I have never tried BA iems before and if I were to use one word to describe it, it would be Vivid. It was love at first listen lol. I was under the impression they would be flat and boring but they definitely were not that!

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,530 of 1,585
Check out the Etymotic ER-4S as well. It and the CK10 really require reference plane (deep) fit to portray the treble accurately. When you get the right fit, both are pretty special and perhaps unmatched in treble.

i can totally relate to this. i use Shure olives on a regular basis, but when i pair it with Monster triple flanges, and obtain the perfect fit, it is like a whole new experience. keep in mind the deep fit is very bothersome and painful for long session listening, so i mainly use triple flanges when creating/mixing tracks with FL Studio.

i've tried the CK10s with etymotic and klipsch multi-flanges as well, and the monster seems to be the best for overall enjoyment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back