Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Dec 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,456 of 1,585
  haha.  you said it yourself, "some of them."  ATH's high end stuff is notorious for not becoming cheaper, but rather more expensive as time goes on (especially discontinued stuff).  there was a time when m50s could be had for under 100, now they're all pushing over that.

and if anyone needed reaffirmation about CK10s and trance/DnB/techno/whatever, i wish you can hear what i'm hearing now..

That simply isn't true. Maybe you have to become more effective in hunting deals. The M50s have fluctuated a great deal in the past couple of years from being over and under $100 (depends on demand). Most of the AT high-end earphones have seen some significant price cuts since the new IEMs were listed. Again, it's a matter of effective shopping to catch these deals. As soon as there is surge of buyers the price may be raised again, but in the last two weeks I've seen major price cuts on AT major earphones (the older models that is).

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #1,457 of 1,585
Guys, this is getting out of hand. We talked about this in the first place because of the pricing and positioning of the IM02's being inferior to the CK10s..
CK10 used to be their flagship, and rightfully so. While the IM02 has been positioned below 2 more (supposedly) superior headphones within the same series.
Anyways, I'd be more than happy if the IM02 sounds as good or even better than the CK10, so I can finally get a replacement for the cheap. But considering how AT positioned them, I highly doubt that.. until I get them shoved into my own ears 
etysmile.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #1,458 of 1,585
eric, i'm mainly talking about the ck10, ck100, es7, esw9 and other legitimately high end stuff.  not so much the csk or whatever series.  either way, i hope the IM02 punches above its weight.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #1,459 of 1,585
The ATH-CK10 should have never been discontinued officially. They should just remain as one of audio-technica's flagship. A 10/10 IEM for me. Never tried the CK100, CK100Pro, or the new IM series, but the ATH-CK10 is definitely worth its MSRP as well as the fluctuating market prices.

On an interesting note, I find the Fostex PM0.3 speakers surprisingly similar to the sound signature and overall SQ of the ATH-CK10's (at least to my ears, after 5~ months of hearing between the two daily). Does anyone else who have the two compare and find the similarity true?

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #1,460 of 1,585
Someone (I couldn't remember) on the IM-series thread said that the IM02 is just basically a CK90-MkII in a new shell.. bummer :\

Quote:
  The ATH-CK10 should have never been discontinued officially. They should just remain as one of audio-technica's flagship. A 10/10 IEM for me. Never tried the CK100, CK100Pro, or the new IM series, but the ATH-CK10 is definitely worth its MSRP as well as the fluctuating market prices.

On an interesting note, I find the Fostex PM0.3 speakers surprisingly similar to the sound signature and overall SQ of the ATH-CK10's (at least to my ears, after 5~ months of hearing between the two daily). Does anyone else who have the two compare and find the similarity true?

Totally agreed about that but let's face it, somehow they have to move on, even discontinuing this gem is not the right way to do so. Maybe they didn't sell well. Maybe it's their fault not distributing this thing well out of Japan. 

Never heard the Fostex PM0.3.. But I'd say the CK10's have that studio-monitor-like quality to them. The way they articulate, the killer texturing and imaging, and the details just make everything come to life - even it has no life, e.g. electronic music.

Btw, recently I just demoed the new Westone W40's and surprised that, to me, they basically sound like CK10's with Westone-tint, much different from their old W4's. But gosh that price tag just yells "go custom" to me lol.

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #1,461 of 1,585

Totally agreed about that but let's face it, somehow they have to move on, even discontinuing this gem is not the right way to do so. Maybe they didn't sell well. Maybe it's their fault not distributing this thing well out of Japan. 

Never heard the Fostex PM0.3.. But I'd say the CK10's have that studio-monitor-like quality to them. The way they articulate, the killer texturing and imaging, and the details just make everything come to life - even it has no life, e.g. electronic music.

Btw, recently I just demoed the new Westone W40's and surprised that, to me, they basically sound like CK10's with Westone-tint, much different from their old W4's. But gosh that price tag just yells "go custom" to me lol.

It's one impression though, you don't need to be let down by that.

I say differently, I say it is better than the ck10s, and there are other people, haonan from headfi for instance, who posted his impressions in the hardware forum. Others not in headfi say great things about the im-02.

while Haonan, a fellow headfier, didn't do a direct comparison to the ck10s, he did compare them to the ck100pros. Haonan says that the im-02s don't fall behind at's former flagship.
(Read below to see haonan link to his review/small dogfight.)

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #1,462 of 1,585
I traded for a pair of these yestrri and wow I am truly blown away..I don't think my w4r will get much ear time in quit some time..same as my 535's. These are that good wow..and they only get better and better the mite I listen. I'm using my iPod classic7th gen with my continental v3 ,amazing. By far the best iem I've heard to date..great stuff :)

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #1,463 of 1,585
  It's one impression though, you don't need to be let down by that.

I say differently, I say it is better than the ck10s, and there are other people not in headfi that say the same thing.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/headphones-earphones-portable-media-devices-314/audio-technica-appreciation-thread-4032318-51.html

while he didn't do a direct comparison to the ck10s, he did compare them to the ck100pros, and he says that the im-02s don't fall behind at's former flagship.

Seeing as to how vlenbo quoted the wrong post for my ATH-IM02 review under HardwareZone forums, I thought I will come in to clarify and paste the right link to my review for once since I'm quite a regular lurker, but infrequent poster around here.
redface.gif

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/82499936-post748.html

Fellow Head-fier vlenbo is right. W1CKED I remembered once in one of your previous posts around here, you did mentioned you are from Singapore same as me. I would suggest you to get down to listen to the ATH-IM02's for yourself before passing some mere biased assumptions that the IM02's are just basically an 'rehashed CK90-MKII in a different shell'. I came from using quite abit of Audio-technica iems actually in the past, I have been in love with most of their inner-ear monitors since 2008 ever since I first got to own my very own ATH-CK9's, and for my case there's no turning back for me now. I just managed to get hold of a BNIB pair of CK10's just last year February, and I can tell you straight in the face w/o any questions asked, the ATH-IM02 are a vast improvement over the CK10, these are just hard true facts from me. There's really no reason for me to lie or put down the CK10's, since they are a pair of iems I like very much myself and they share the same tonal signature/sound character as the CK100PRO in summary, but when comparing the CK10 against the latest ATH-IM02, seriously there's no competition here at all. The ATH-IM02 is just much better in all areas.

I don't think you will hate the ATH-IM02 sound signature coming from the CK10's. While it does not share the same kind of sound characteristics as CK10 (the CK10's are much more lean-sounding in terms of its midrange and bass impact/rumble details tends to suffer quite abit unless you're using foam tips such as Complys), I would say both are quite similar in terms of treble texture with good amount of sparkle/bite thrown in, but the ATH-IM02's just accomplishes much better in areas such as soundstage presentation and imaging. (the layering/placement of instruments are much more realistically portrayed, and instrumental separation is top-notch)

In terms of local SRP here in Singapore, the pricing for the ATH-IM02 model also gives it a very high C/P value factor as well. Just go check out the demos for yourself at either Stereo Electronics, E1Personal Audio or Soundwaves, I'm sure you will somehow agree with me if you do adore the CK10's overall sound signature and presentation.
wink_face.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #1,464 of 1,585
Seeing as to how vlenbo quoted the wrong post for my ATH-IM02 review under HardwareZone forums, I thought I will come in to clarify and paste the right link to my review for once since I'm quite a regular lurker, but infrequent poster around here. :xf_eek:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/82499936-post748.html

Fellow Head-fier vlenbo is right. W1CKED I remembered once in one of your previous posts around here, you did mentioned you are from Singapore same as me. I would suggest you to get down to listen to the ATH-IM02's for yourself before passing some mere biased assumptions that the IM02's are just basically an 'rehashed CK90-MKII in a different shell'. I came from using quite abit of Audio-technica iems actually in the past, I have been in love with most of their inner-ear monitors since 2008 ever since I first got to own my very own ATH-CK9's, and for my case there's no turning back for me now. I just managed to get hold of a BNIB pair of CK10's just last year February, and I can tell you straight in the face w/o any questions asked, the ATH-IM02 are a vast improvement over the CK10, these are just hard true facts from me. There's really no reason for me to lie or put down the CK10's, since they are a pair of iems I like very much myself and they share the same tonal signature/sound character as the CK100PRO in summary, but when comparing the CK10 against the latest ATH-IM02, seriously there's no competition here at all. The ATH-IM02 is just much better in all areas.

I don't think you will hate the ATH-IM02 sound signature coming from the CK10's. While it does not share the same kind of sound characteristics as CK10 (the CK10's are much more lean-sounding in terms of its midrange and bass impact/rumble details tends to suffer quite abit unless you're using foam tips such as Complys), I would say both are quite similar in terms of treble texture with good amount of sparkle/bite thrown in, but the ATH-IM02's just accomplishes much better in areas such as soundstage presentation and imaging. (the layering/placement of instruments are much more realistically portrayed, and instrumental separation is top-notch)

In terms of local SRP here in Singapore, the pricing for the ATH-IM02 model also gives it a very high C/P value factor as well. Just go check out the demos for yourself at either Stereo Electronics, E1Personal Audio or Soundwaves, I'm sure you will somehow agree with me if you do adore the CK10's overall sound signature and presentation.
:wink_face:

Haonan, I read your detailed ck100pro review in a one thread and have been ecstatic to buy the ck100pro. When I got the im-02 I felt like I made the wrong decision, until I heard it's sound.

Before I go on, though, I want to sincerely apologize for acting like a pretentious A hole(trying trying keep this post cuss friendly). I have rectified this as you deserve far better from a fellow headfier. My original intention was to save people from searching YOUR original post. So I posted wings post that quoted your post, as I assumed that people would know that Haonan posted it, and got quoted by weng.

again, my sincerest apologies, and thank you for correcting me.

As our good headfier, Haonan stated, the im-02 are indeed good, and better than the ck10 themselves.

I do want to say that the treble has bite that people like in headphones, but I feel that it is a bit more liniant in its bite than the ck10's treble (I.e., not as silibant).

and one last thing...

If Singapore has the zero audio doppios, you guys should definitely try them out. $40 cheaper than the audio technica and has a similar sound sig to these new im02s, and while it is an assumption, headfier dsnuts has provided his Impressions of the doppios, and are pretty similar to what I heard from my im-02s.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #1,465 of 1,585
Haonan, I read your detailed ck100pro review in a one thread and have been ecstatic to buy the ck100pro. When I got the im-02 I felt like I made the wrong decision, until I heard it's sound.

Before I go on, though, I want to sincerely apologize for acting like a pretentious A hole(trying trying keep this post cuss friendly). I have rectified this as you deserve far better from a fellow headfier. My original intention was to save people from searching YOUR original post. So I posted wings post that quoted your post, as I assumed that people would know that Haonan posted it, and got quoted by weng.

again, my sincerest apologies, and thank you for correcting me.

As our good headfier, Haonan stated, the im-02 are indeed good, and better than the ck10 themselves.

I do want to say that the treble has bite that people like in headphones, but I feel that it is a bit more liniant in its bite than the ck10's treble (I.e., not as silibant).

and one last thing...

If Singapore has the zero audio doppios, you guys should definitely try them out. $40 cheaper than the audio technica and has a similar sound sig to these new im02s, and while it is an assumption, headfier dsnuts has provided his Impressions of the doppios, and are pretty similar to what I heard from my im-02s.

Hi vlenbo, no worries about it. I did not take into offense for what you have posted previously on this thread, you did not offend me or sound like a pretentious prick at all so please don't worry about it. I only just decided to come in here to make a proper clarification regarding the brief ATH-IM02 review I have wrote recently, and also to try to directly respond to W1CKED's posts on this discussion thread seeing as how he's a current owner of the ATH-CK10's as well and is also a fellow Singaporean IIRC.
redface.gif

Thank you for the earlier recommendations about the Zero Audio Doppios. Unfortunately as far as I know there are no brick and mortar shops here which carries any Zero Audio stuffs, as I remember Zero Audio was a brand that can only be found in Japan. (I have actually read and came across some existing discussions about their Carbo Tenore and Carbo Bassos awhile back, but not enough to make me buy them from Japan despite I have my own contacts there, and can easily buy headphone/IEM gears from the brick and mortar shops in JP such as Yodobashi/Fujiya-Avic/e-Earphone)

Yes, at the moment I'm enjoying my pair of ATH-IM02's very much. If I do ever discover anything new regarding them or anything that's worth mentioning in relation to the CK10's I will try to post again under the IM Series impressions thread. (My HardwareZone review has also been cross-posted on that discussion thread finally for the convenience sake of many fellow Head-fiers around here)

Cheers and happy listening!
beyersmile.png

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,468 of 1,585
not possible and not possible... sorry lol
yes that's what I thought lol thank you though. I actually put in a pair of etymotic green filters in them to try. It out.. and they work.but I think they don't dampen them enough.. well I don't think anyways. Because I traded for this pair on a trade and he said that he's had them for like. Two and a half years. So who knows if someone has had them before and how clean were their ears..I'm not trying to be rude there just if the filters get clogged I think it will change the sound like it does with the etys. .so I really don't know how much brighter they sound when they are new to when I had them..well the green ety. Filters sound good except I'm thinking they are a little bright or. Sibilant I guess is what I'm trying to say.. but omg there is a ton more detail then before.. it's really remarkable to say the least lol..but kinda sibilant. .I'm wondering if I went to the red filters from Knowles if that would calm the treble down a bit? Just a Tad. .or maybe this is how they sounded when new? Maybe I'll ask in the ety forum if that's what the red filters would do..or phone or get a hold of Knowles them self and maybe they would know what frequency damper the ck10 used. .sorry for this long explanation and I hope it made some sense lol I'm just kinda freaking out cause I love these things :frowning2: ..

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #1,469 of 1,585
^
That's interesting! However, imo, you could just use EQ to get the same effects filters do on some other high end IEMs. I know that the filters make a more defining and discreet change in overall sound signature and reproduction, but with the right settings in your equalizer you will get 99% similar results. I just never really understood filters, but it's because I haven't tried them often enough (only experience was with a Phonak Audeo's); I guess it is synonymous to changing the housing materials or ear pads on an over ear headphones.

You could try different tips with the CK10. For me, a deeper insertion (for example with a triple-flange) versus a Sony hybrids resulted in quite a big difference in overall enjoyment(less sibilance, more full-bodiedness mids etc.). It also isolated a lot better with Monster Turbine's medium triple-flanges, and I could hear more details without turning the volume too loud. I'm not saying the differences are huge, it is actually tiny, but it changes my aural experiences quite a lot.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #1,470 of 1,585
^
That's interesting! However, imo, you could just use EQ to get the same effects filters do on some other high end IEMs. I know that the filters make a more defining and discreet change in overall sound signature and reproduction, but with the right settings in your equalizer you will get 99% similar results. I just never really understood filters, but it's because I haven't tried them often enough (only experience was with a Phonak Audeo's); I guess it is synonymous to changing the housing materials or ear pads on an over ear headphones.

You could try different tips with the CK10. For me, a deeper insertion (for example with a triple-flange) versus a Sony hybrids resulted in quite a big difference in overall enjoyment(less sibilance, more full-bodiedness mids etc.). It also isolated a lot better with Monster Turbine's medium triple-flanges, and I could hear more details without turning the volume too loud. I'm not saying the differences are huge, it is actually tiny, but it changes my aural experiences quite a lot.
Maybe with some but with these I don't think I could have fixed it with a eq to honest.. It was just too far off.. Very piercing Ya know.. I listened to them without the filters and it was really bad lol they sound actually really good now with the ety green filters.. But could still use a slight drop in the high end.. I'm not sure what they sounded like when they were new.. When I got them they were a few years old used so over time wax build up possiblly changed the highs making them not so bright.. Now they are very clear on the brighter side like all the reviews had said.. With.. And I do mean.. With loads of detail.. I can see why they call them the.. Detail kings...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back