Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Jan 27, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #931 of 1,585
Any immediate sound impressions? 

Quote:
I ended up buying a pair of CK10s today at the headphone store.  I just could resist any longer -I had to have them.  I was a bit surprised at how small they are. 

Next purchase will be an ATH-W1000x I think.  My wallet doesn't mind so much yet, but the Mrs. wasn't too happy with me (until I showed her the headphone case I bought for her CKM55s).

I'm waiting for them to arrive from Japan (could it take any longer?) and reading all these threads keeps making me more restless.

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #933 of 1,585
yeah me too..ordered the fake sony hybrids from ebay uk for a mere $6 for 9 pairs. It would be quite nice if they arrive right on time with the CK10. It would be like it's meant to be. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
I'm still waiting for mine to show too. In the meantime, I ordered Sony Hybrid tips from Amazon.

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #934 of 1,585
Yes, actually the SM3 is next on my radar and possibly customs. I've pretty much tried every top tier dynamic having disliked the presentation of all the BAs I've had tried but things are gradually changing after the EQ5s and CK10s. 
Quote:
Quote:
Still enjoying these so far. I can honestly say that they're the best BAs I've hard so far (minus EQ5s which I need more time with) and they have changed my perspective on several things.

Keep moving up the IEM chain and your perspective will keep changing 
wink_face.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #936 of 1,585
^ subject to the mercy of the Japanese postman --- I thought people there were supposed to be..ermm..well efficient.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #937 of 1,585

Quote:
Any immediate sound impressions? 

Quote:
I ended up buying a pair of CK10s today at the headphone store.  I just could resist any longer -I had to have them.  I was a bit surprised at how small they are. 

Next purchase will be an ATH-W1000x I think.  My wallet doesn't mind so much yet, but the Mrs. wasn't too happy with me (until I showed her the headphone case I bought for her CKM55s).

I'm waiting for them to arrive from Japan (could it take any longer?) and reading all these threads keeps making me more restless.

Being a really big fan of Audio Technica stuff, I think I live in the right place (every electronics store seems to have a large selection of their equipment -no waiting necessary!).  As for the CK10s, I'm impressed with them so far.  Permitted they have a proper seal in the ear canals, they sound really clear and present a pretty good soundstage.  They sounded terrible until I put them in nice and deep.  The bass is a little bit lacking, but I was already expecting that.  The compromise is worth it for the outstanding mids and highs though.  They sound so much more refined than my Sony MDR-EX90s.  With the right music, these things are amazing.  I'm excited to show them off to my otaku friends this weekend.

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #938 of 1,585
^ that sounds pretty spot on in line with the general impressions of the CK10, so thats great. Are you using the original tips? I've heard they are quite bad(uncomfortable and affect the sound wrong way), are they really as terrible as people have been saying?

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #939 of 1,585

Quote:
If you are using a regular Multimeter, then what you are measuring is DC resistance, which is different from Impedance. Impedance is AC resistance and varies over frequency in most transducers. It's quite possible that although the DC resistance of your CK10 is 26 ohms, the Impedance could be much higher. However, if any other CK10 owner can confirm that their pair also reads around 26 ohms DC resistance then it would put to rest your doubt about whether you have a genuine pair or not.

My digital multimeter has an impedance measuring zone and I've measured my other phones.  The methodology has not changed.  To measure the left channel, red probe goes on the jack tip (3) and black probe on the ground sleeve (1).  For the right channel, red probe goes on the ring (2) and black probe goes on the ground sleeve.  Perhaps the specs have changed over time.

Quote:
I can confirm, mine read 28 Ohm.  
Cheers

Thanks for posting your measurement.

Quote:

Congrats.  They are stealthy.  If you have a multimeter, feel free to post your measurement.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #940 of 1,585
Nice to see the flock of CK10 follows continues to grow! The more people that own and listen to this IEM the better 
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #942 of 1,585
I don't have a multimeter here in Japan sadly, but I have to admit I am curious about the headphones' resistance.  I'm using the original tips and they sound good permitted they're in properly -it's just getting that proper seal can be a bit difficult.  These things seem a bit finicky.  Sometimes the seal is too great and no sound comes out.  If I move ever so slightly the sound can be changed drastically.  I think some new tips are in order...  It's toss-up between foam and triple flanges!

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #943 of 1,585
You should check out some Sony Hybrids (real or fake). Those have got the most positive feedback for the CK10.

Quote:
I don't have a multimeter here in Japan sadly, but I have to admit I am curious about the headphones' resistance.  I'm using the original tips and they sound good permitted they're in properly -it's just getting that proper seal can be a bit difficult.  These things seem a bit finicky.  Sometimes the seal is too great and no sound comes out.  If I move ever so slightly the sound can be changed drastically.  I think some new tips are in order...  It's toss-up between foam and triple flanges!

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #944 of 1,585

Quote:

Triples for sure
etysmile.gif

Trimmed a pair down to doubles the other day and couldn't get a good seal with it though. Luckily you get plenty to play with when you order from eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back