Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Jan 25, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #916 of 1,585
wait Shig, you won James' contest?  haha.  lucky!!  I'm going to order christmas trees soon, and from what i remember reading earlier in the thread, these help a bit with the sound and bass.  though i already love the way it sounds...  we'll see what happens!

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #919 of 1,585
It's funny, after reading all this posts of CK10 love it reminds me of that warm feeling I would always get listening to them. The soundstage was on just another level. Even now that I have my JH5's which I do find "better" I still love the CK10's. The JH5's and CK10's are like a perfect set to me since the CK10's are a very specific type of neutral while the JH5's are much warmer and more "fun". They are both amazing in their own regards and they will not be leaving me, if my CK10's ever go up for sale you know I'm in trouble!

Also, further praise on the cable, best cable hands down I have ever experienced. Whatever sort of amazing magical stuff that cable is made of is the best there is. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #920 of 1,585
i remember reading somewhere that the cable is specifically made in Korea for AT's high end products.  could be wrong though..

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #921 of 1,585
I just pulled the trigger on these yesterday. I purchased these from Dimitri from Musica Acoustics - http://www.musicaacoustics.com/Store.html

If anyone wants to buy these, Dimitri has an opened box CK10 up for sale for about $200 USD. It is a brand new pair but was used for Demo at his local shop. If anyone is interested in buying those, drop him a note. :)
I had a great time dealing with him and he comes highly recommended!

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #922 of 1,585

Quote:
Quote:
Hey soozie,

I see you've migrated to the FX700. 

Oops. I should update my sig
redface.gif

I sold my FX700's a couple of months ago and decided to stick with the CK10's (which I re-bought after selling my first pair to Mark!). It's strange, because I used to only be able to listen to them for a couple of hours at a time (before the highs killed me) but since I've been using the stiffer tips, the seal is tighter, the bass has a little more presence, and the treble is still really sparkly without dominating everything like before.

Glad you're enjoying them! Are you using them with your S9? I'm using them with my Sony X with the Clear Bass set to +1 and everything else off. They actually sound full bodied to me now. As for customs, I'm not averse to the idea - but I like trying out different universals, and I think customs would probably put an end to all that. And then of course, if they were really good, I'd start to get curious about other customs, and you can see where that would be headed
biggrin.gif

I wish I'd kept my FX700's though, but I can never justify keeping two expensive phones when only one pair gets used the majority of the time. Funny, the FX's sounded sooooooooooooooo bassy to me after the CK10's, it took a while to get my head (ears) round the sound again.  Although I think acoustic guitar sounded more natural with the FX's, I have to admit I really like the bigger soundstage of the CK10's with my Sony.

Edit: Sig updated!

Haha.  Sounds like your ears are evolving.  Yes, I'm primarily using them with the S9 on the Dance preset.  Maestro works well with the Shures, but the bass is too thin with the CK10.  From my time with the X, the CK10 would be an ideal yin and yang pairing.

I hear you on the bass adjustment.  Always felt the C710 was bottom heavy especially with the Comply tips, and it's a lot to take in when switching from the CK10.  Of course, the reverb on dynamics is hard to replicate on BAs and they go well with hip hop tracks that are mixed bass-light.

For the CK10 owners, can you post your left and right channel impedance measurements?  The product specs are 55 ohms though my pair read 26 ohms in each of the channels.  Why is there such a huge discrepancy--QC issues, fakes?  The audio-technica M50 is rated 38 ohms and my pair read 37 ohms.  I measured my other phones and both L and R channels are perfectly matched and within 1-2 ohms off specs so the multimeter is working fine.

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #923 of 1,585

Quote:
i remember reading somewhere that the cable is specifically made in Korea for AT's high end products.  could be wrong though..

Maybe post 905 in this thread (previous page)?  
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #924 of 1,585
Still enjoying these so far. I can honestly say that they're the best BAs I've hard so far (minus EQ5s which I need more time with) and they have changed my perspective on several things.

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #926 of 1,585

Quote:
For the CK10 owners, can you post your left and right channel impedance measurements?  The product specs are 55 ohms though my pair read 26 ohms in each of the channels.  Why is there such a huge discrepancy--QC issues, fakes?  The audio-technica M50 is rated 38 ohms and my pair read 37 ohms.  I measured my other phones and both L and R channels are perfectly matched and within 1-2 ohms off specs so the multimeter is working fine.

If you are using a regular Multimeter, then what you are measuring is DC resistance, which is different from Impedance. Impedance is AC resistance and varies over frequency in most transducers. It's quite possible that although the DC resistance of your CK10 is 26 ohms, the Impedance could be much higher. However, if any other CK10 owner can confirm that their pair also reads around 26 ohms DC resistance then it would put to rest your doubt about whether you have a genuine pair or not.

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #927 of 1,585

Quote:
Well the CK10 does have the spike up there if that's what you mean by assertive :) I feel the mids on the CK10 are a bit more engaging than the DBA-02 but this is from memory. I had ownership of them both overlap by 2 days.

I was more referring to vocals, as in how forward they are in general compared to the rest of the spectrum. I thought the MD Tributes and Addium V2s pushed this part of the spectrum further back for example compared to the EQ-7/CK10.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #928 of 1,585

Quote:
Quote:

If you are using a regular Multimeter, then what you are measuring is DC resistance, which is different from Impedance. Impedance is AC resistance and varies over frequency in most transducers. It's quite possible that although the DC resistance of your CK10 is 26 ohms, the Impedance could be much higher. However, if any other CK10 owner can confirm that their pair also reads around 26 ohms DC resistance then it would put to rest your doubt about whether you have a genuine pair or not.

I can confirm, mine read 28 Ohm.

Cheers

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #929 of 1,585

Quote:
Still enjoying these so far. I can honestly say that they're the best BAs I've hard so far (minus EQ5s which I need more time with) and they have changed my perspective on several things.

Keep moving up the IEM chain and your perspective will keep changing 
wink_face.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #930 of 1,585
I ended up buying a pair of CK10s today at the headphone store.  I just could resist any longer -I had to have them.  I was a bit surprised at how small they are. 

Next purchase will be an ATH-W1000x I think.  My wallet doesn't mind so much yet, but the Mrs. wasn't too happy with me (until I showed her the headphone case I bought for her CKM55s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back