Audio Technica ATH-AD900x Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #167 of 250
  If I buy a DAC, I'll probably buy an amp to accompany it. I just don't think it would be worth it for my current cans (AD900X), so I'll probably purchase the DAC and amp next time I upgrade.

Great!
Your ears will be happy
dt880smile.png

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #168 of 250
If I buy a DAC, I'll probably buy an amp to accompany it. I just don't think it would be worth it for my current cans (AD900X), so I'll probably purchase the DAC and amp next time I upgrade.

U should try dx80 player. Im not ibasso fan.. But its like now i can feel my ad900x is actually sing.

From my point of view.. Even though ad900x is open can, but i think it needs a lil bit soundstage because ad900x has already have great detail.. And i think dx80 and ad900x is a magic pair.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #169 of 250
U should try dx80 player. Im not ibasso fan.. But its like now i can feel my ad900x is actually sing.

From my point of view.. Even though ad900x is open can, but i think it needs a lil bit soundstage because ad900x has already have great detail.. And i think dx80 and ad900x is a magic pair.

Thanks for the suggestion. However I'll likely be tailoring my amp/DAC to my next set of cans (which, at the moment, seem to be the HD600 - I've heard good things about the Schiit Modi/Magni 2 when paired with the 600)

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #170 of 250
Thanks for the suggestion. However I'll likely be tailoring my amp/DAC to my next set of cans (which, at the moment, seem to be the HD600 - I've heard good things about the Schiit Modi/Magni 2 when paired with the 600)

Yes.. I've heard a lot of good things about 600's and schiit modi/magni 2.

However the price is a lil bit silly in my country. U can go for two ad900x for one 600's. And for schiit combo the price is like double from their current official price (due tax etc).

So far im really happy with current setup. Hopefully in the next 3 month might get upgrade for ad2000x. :D

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #171 of 250
Yes.. I've heard a lot of good things about 600's and schiit modi/magni 2.

However the price is a lil bit silly in my country. U can go for two ad900x for one 600's. And for schiit combo the price is like double from their current official price (due tax etc).

So far im really happy with current setup. Hopefully in the next 3 month might get upgrade for ad2000x. :D

Where do you live? Here in Australia the prices can also get pretty ridiculous. About $350 AUD for the Schiit stack including shipping. Found a reasonable price for the 600's though ($330 AUD), which, in USD, is pretty much the cheapest I've seen it.

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #177 of 250

I would very interested being an AD700 owner interested in seeing how they compare.

They're similar but there are some differences. The AD900x is still a bass-lite headphone, but it has a bit more bass than the anemic AD700, and you can actually feel that it's there. The highs are less "smooth" and sound more like standard treble which helps you hear details better. The mids remain forward but maybe not as forward as on the AD700, which is fine since I thought it's mids could be a bit too prominent at times, although it's a small difference and hard to notice. The AD900x's soundstage is about the same or slightly smaller in size compared to the AD700, but the improvements in bass and treble more than make up for it. The comfort of the headphone is worse, particularly in the earpads, but after putting on new earpads from E-Bay they're now just as comfortable or better than the stock AD700, and replacing earpads on the AD900x is somewhat easier than on the older versions. The headband has less padding too, but I've had no issues with it so far. The AD900x is a definite upgrade in sound. This headphone sounds high-quality and not tinny like some people described, and makes purchasing some more expensive similar headphones hard to justify. I got my AD900X for only $110 new which is dirt cheap for such good sound.

I've listened to the AD1000x as well. They don't have angled drivers so they're more likely to touch your ears, and they have a more forward and sharper sound overall with the same sound signature. But they're certainly not worth $150 more, they just trade a lot of soundstage for better imaging and more intimate sound. While the sound might have been refined in other ways too, the difference is so small that I can't remember them. You'd be better off getting something like the HD650 or X2 when they're on deal instead of the AD1000x in my opinion, while the AD900x remains a great choice for it's price, and it stands right at the gate of diminishing returns. If you already have an AD700 or AD900, then it's only worth the money to upgrade if they're starting to fall apart like mine were.

In the future I hope to compare the AD900x with the AKG K712 or SHP9500 and report back.

Hope that helps.

UPDATE: I've compared the AD900x with the HD598 and easily prefer the AD900x. The AD900x has more soundstage, punchier bass (although both are bass-lite) and more forward mids which I think is preferable. The AD900x has slightly brighter treble however and is more likely to cause fatigue. The AD900x is more comfortable for me once I replace the pads, since my ears touch the driver of the HD598 and it's headband isn't as soft as I would like.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #178 of 250
So I bought these a little while ago for gaming, and while I love the sound, I have a bit of a problem. I was planning on buying the v moda boom pro mic to use these on my ps4, but since the cable is non-detachable I don't know what to do. Do any of you guys know how I can handle this?

I modded my ad900x for a detachable cable. I really hated the stock cable, too long and way too much cable memory. That said, it was actually very easy since the cable hole matches the 3.5mm socket I used perfectly. I didn't have to drill the cans, just clearance the chromed plastic cover and the driver plate. You can see this in the last picture. It took maybe 20 minutes to do this:

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #179 of 250

I modded my ad900x for a detachable cable. I really hated the stock cable, too long and way too much cable memory. That said, it was actually very easy since the cable hole matches the 3.5mm socket I used perfectly. I didn't have to drill the cans, just clearance the chromed plastic cover and the driver plate. You can see this in the last picture. It took maybe 20 minutes to do this:

nice sharing bro @thesmokingman .
Quick question, is there any difference in SQ after you mod the ad900x ?

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #180 of 250
I bought the ad900x and then somehow accidentally bent the plug badly so I turned around and bought the ad1000x. I need to send in the ad900x to someone for a replacement cable, but when I do I'll post a comparison. The ad1000x seems to have deeper bass and weightier presentation overall but hard to say exactly. It's not really dark sounding though. I'm going to replace the earpads with Audeze microsuede. Default AT pads are too shallow for my ears. I had the Braiwavz hm5 velour on my ad900x which fit with careful stretching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back