Audio Technica ATH-AD900x Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #151 of 250
  I can't really find any difference between my Razer Electra, and AD900X.
Is there something wrong with my ears? I'm serious btw, I can already hear people calling me a troll

With flac, with an amp, It's never like, ahhhh its clearly different! Nahh I mean I guess they sound different.
I mean the Electra has BOOMY BASS, but after I EQ that out slightly (cuz I cant stand boomy bass). Then theres really no clear difference.

Does your flac are good recording (because if it's 128 mp3 that was converted in flac it will make no difference at all in the quality of the sound, you have already lost all the information)? Does the dac of your computer suck? What is the amp? Do you have desactivated and remove any "sound improvement" bloatware on your computer (especially the 7.1 surround thingy that just destroy the sound)?

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #152 of 250

Does your flac are good recording (because if it's 128 mp3 that was converted in flac it will make no difference at all in the quality of the sound, you have already lost all the information)? Does the dac of your computer suck? What is the amp? Do you have desactivated and remove any "sound improvement" bloatware on your computer (especially the 7.1 surround thingy that just destroy the sound)?

I own the Objective2 + ODAC Rev. B Combo
Yes I did all that, I am very skilled with computers, my flac files didn't come from a lower quality souce file, And all sound enhancements are disabled. (I mean, except the equalizer on foobar)

I think my point is, I don't get the entire headphone thing, and would just like some feedback on my point of view, If its just me. I mean the AD900X does sound better than my cheap razer, but it's not really that significant in my opinion. And I have this with all headphones.
What I like most about the AD900x is that its the only headphone I can wear for longer than 4 hours because of how comfortable it is.

But I have all these friends that tell me listen to my new headphones they are SO AMAZING, and they build a large speaker wall. ITS SO AWESOME. And all these forums, talking so much about how good certain headphones sound.
When, to me, it really sounds pretty much the same. the most significant difference is usually bass.

But with an EQ I can make most headphones sound as good as my HD600 and AD900X.

Don't get me wrong, I like my AD900X, (my HD600 got stolen, or I lost it but unlikely), And I like it better than my HD600, But when friends who don't have actual headphones ask me if they should buy one. I don't recommend they do unless they have alot of money to spare, and tell them, to not expect to be blown away by the soundquality, after they read all those review.

This isnt a personal attack on the AD900X, just +$100 headphones in general.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #153 of 250
Yes I did all that, I am very skilled with computers, my flac files didn't come from a lower quality souce file, And all sound enhancements are disabled. (I mean, except the equalizer on foobar)

I think my point is, I don't get the entire headphone thing, and would just like some feedback on my point of view, If its just me. I mean the AD900X does sound better than my cheap razer, but it's not really that significant in my opinion. And I have this with all headphones.
What I like most about the AD900x is that its the only headphone I can wear for longer than 4 hours because of how comfortable it is.

But I have all these friends that tell me listen to my new headphones they are SO AMAZING, and they build a large speaker wall. ITS SO AWESOME. And all these forums, talking so much about how good certain headphones sound.
When, to me, it really sounds pretty much the same. the most significant difference is usually bass.

Don't get me wrong, I like my AD900X, (my HD600 got stolen, or I lost it but unlikely), And I like it better than my HD600, But when friends who don't have actual headphones ask me if they should buy one. I don't recommend they do unless they have alot of money to spare, and tell them, to not expect to be blown away by the soundquality, after they read all those review.

Ya I think it's up to everyone. I rememberthat when I bought my first headphone, the mdr-10rbt, to me they were sounding great and when I acquired the ath-ad900x I was blown as much as I sould think to (I was thinking that would be much greater as they were my first open). But they grew on me and I get used to more to a more flat sound to the point that I learned to hate the mdr.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #154 of 250

What headphones have you listen too?
What amps have you listen too?
What dac's have you listen too?
It would not be all these forums if people didn't find defference in all I mention above.
Like  "Hendrix" said are you "Experience"?

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #155 of 250
 Ya I think it's up to everyone. I rememberthat when I bought my first headphone, the mdr-10rbt, to me they were sounding great and when I acquired the ath-ad900x I was blown as much as I sould think to (I was thinking that would be much greater as they were my first open). But they grew on me and I get used to more to a more flat sound to the point that I learned to hate the mdr.

I have the feeling that, either something is wrong with my ears. Or people are over reacting / placebo.
I'd like to hear an Audeze LCD-2 sometime, But I'm already pretty sure i'm not going to find it sound very different than my AD900X or HD600

Quote:
What headphones have you listen too? What amps have you listen too?
What dac's have you listen too?

HD600, AD900x, Razer Electra, ATH M50.
 Only the dac and amp I mentioned above

It would not be all these forums if people didn't find defference in all I mention above. Like  "Hendrix" said are you "Experience"?

I have no idea what you are trying to say,

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #156 of 250

HD600, AD900x, Razer Electra, ATH M50.
 Only the dac and amp I mentioned above

I have no idea what you are trying to say,

What I'm saying is you might want to try another amp&dac with the MSR7.
I have the HD650,ATHM50 & AD900x also. The AD900x MSR7 sounds awful with the DA8 dac but fine with MKII both Yulong.
AD900x sounds great with my HO amp because its a dark amp and the AD900x is "Bright" same thing with the MSR7.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #157 of 250

Just curious, what about the AD900X's did you prefer over the HD600's? I currently own and use the AD's and was thinking about upgrading to the HD600's (likely with the Schiit modi+magni).

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #158 of 250

Just curious, what about the AD900X's did you prefer over the HD600's? I currently own and use the AD's and was thinking about upgrading to the HD600's (likely with the Schiit modi+magni).

Man what a sad story.
He has to color the headphone so he can like it. Playing with the EQ to me is adding color.
I own a lot of ATH  headphones. AD900x are one of my favorites and use to be my commute phones.
Have you tried the HD650? What source are you using? (DAP,DAC ect..)

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #159 of 250

I don't think there is a big difference, and if I heard one I couldnt tell which one it was.
I prefer the AD900X because they are SOOOOOO COMFORTABLE
but you'd be better off asking someone else, who has proper ears

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #160 of 250
Anyway I hated alot on mid and high end headphones, just disregard everything I say.
The AD900x is still my favorite headphone, because they are so very very comfortable.

But I can't tell the difference between the Razer Electra and AD900x in a blind test. Or any other headphone for that matter
I'm not salty at all about my purchases, I just can't seem to hear the difference

solblack

Have you tried the HD650?
No
What source are you using? (DAP,DAC ect..)
Objective2 + ODAC Rev. B Combo

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #161 of 250
  Anyway I hated alot on mid and high end headphones, just disregard everything I say.
The AD900x is still my favorite headphone, because they are so very very comfortable.

But I can't tell the difference between the Razer Electra and AD900x in a blind test. Or any other headphone for that matter
I'm not salty at all about my purchases, I just can't seem to hear the difference

solblack  

Have you tried the HD650?
No
What source are you using? (DAP,DAC ect..)
Objective2 + ODAC Rev. B Combo

I hope you get the chance to try the HD650 if your upgrading.
The AD900x with DX50 and C&C BH2 have great synergy together
I'm using the HD650 with DA8 and Darkvoice 3322.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #162 of 250

Man what a sad story.
He has to color the headphone so he can like it. Playing with the EQ to me is adding color.
I own a lot of ATH  headphones. AD900x are one of my favorites and use to be my commute phones.

0_o How did you use the ad900x as a commute phones? What kind of magic voodo did you do to use an open-back in the bus? I'm really interested to know.

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #164 of 250

Man what a sad story.

No, I haven't really tried many headphones other than the ones I own (unfortunately the closest dedicated headphone store isn't that close). I don't currently own a DAC. I mostly use my Android phone and laptop.
(Still not entirely sure if those questions were directed at me, still getting to grips with the way the site works)

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #165 of 250
  No, I haven't really tried many headphones other than the ones I own (unfortunately the closest dedicated headphone store isn't that close). I don't currently own a DAC. I mostly use my Android phone and laptop.
(Still not entirely sure if those questions were directed at me, still getting to grips with the way the site works)

You got to invest in a DAC makes a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back