Audio Technica ATH-AD700 vs ATH-M50
Jun 26, 2012 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

gamerfry

Head-Fier
I'm buying a new pair of phones to replace my old sennheiser PC333D headset which I used for gaming. I would primarily use them for 33% movies/TV 33%gaming and 33% music. I've heard that the soundstage on the AD700's is nothing short of magnificent, however it has also been stated that it is severely lacking in base. The M50s on the other hand have been said to have amazing base but the soundstage is nearly nonexistent. Rich realistic and accurate sound is important to me and I am worried that the AD700s, while they may provide a great soundstage for movies and gaming wouldn't have the bass needed for explosions or gunfire. With the M50s I'm worried that I won't have any sense of directionality at all. Are the AD700's really so bad at the lower frequencies that I should be worried? Will the M50s not suit my needs for direction? What do you think about these questions and about which pair I should choose overall. Keep in mind I can not go higher than $120 so please do not recommend any other sets that are higher than that. Thank you.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:
I'm buying a new pair of phones to replace my old sennheiser PC333D headset which I used for gaming. I would primarily use them for 33% movies/TV 33%gaming and 33% music. I've heard that the soundstage on the AD700's is nothing short of magnificent, however it has also been stated that it is severely lacking in base. The M50s on the other hand have been said to have amazing base but the soundstage is nearly nonexistent. Rich realistic and accurate sound is important to me and I am worried that the AD700s, while they may provide a great soundstage for movies and gaming wouldn't have the bass needed for explosions or gunfire. With the M50s I'm worried that I won't have any sense of directionality at all. Are the AD700's really so bad at the lower frequencies that I should be worried? Will the M50s not suit my needs for direction? What do you think about these questions and about which pair I should choose overall. Keep in mind I can not go higher than $120 so please do not recommend any other sets that are higher than that. Thank you.

Well, it seems as though you have a two sided problem. Not enough bass, and not enough soundstage. Well, to be honest, the AD700s have adequate bass for your gunfight action movies and shoot-em-up games. They aren't bass heavy like the M50s, but provide much, much better sound quality. I'd say go for the AD700s. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 33
How about fa-011. Ive not heard it but supposedly it's real good combination of bass and soundstage at the price. I've had both m50 and ad700, m50 is definitely better for music, but I find the comfort alone to be a huge redeeming factor on the ad700.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

At your budget, you can only get the ATH-AD700s anyway.
Save some cash, just get the Samson SR850s for now.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 33
Comfort isn't really an issue for me all I really care about is sound quality. can you speak to the ad700s bass or the m50's soundstage? Are they really as bad as people say? 

I've had both m50 and ad700, m50 is definitely better for music, but I find the comfort alone to be a huge redeeming factor on the ad700.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:
At your budget, you can only get the ATH-AD700s anyway.
Save some cash, just get the Samson SR850s for now.

I found some m50s for 100 bucks.

How about fa-011. Ive not heard it but supposedly it's real good combination of bass and soundstage at the price.

Read the review on this site and it sounds fantastic but I couldn't find anywhere to buy it.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:
Comfort isn't really an issue for me all I really care about is sound quality. can you speak to the ad700s bass or the m50's sound stage? Are they really as bad as people say? 

What source(s) do you plug your headphones into? computer? is there a sound card?

The ATH-AD700 are good headphones, as long as your into audio that does not need bass to sound good.
I never wear my ATH-AD700s any more.

ATH-M50s good for music, not for surround sound.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:
What source(s) do you plug your headphones into? computer? is there a sound card?

The ATH-AD700 are good headphones, as long as your into audio that does not need bass to sound good.
I never wear my ATH-AD700s any more.

ATH-M50s good for music, not for surround sound.

Yes I'm using my computer with an asus Xonar DG so I would be using the 5.1 surround. I really listen to everything pop/rock/jazz/classical.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:
Yes I'm using my computer with an asus Xonar DG so I would be using the 5.1 surround. I really listen to everything pop/rock/jazz/classical.

Brainwarz HM5 (closed) might work for you.

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:
Ended up grabbing the FA-011's Seems like they were the best bet given the compromise between the sound stage and bass I needed

I'm guessing the Fischer Audio FA-011 is the best parts from the ATH-AD700 and ATH-M50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back