Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 : fit and comfort mod!
Jan 4, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #46 of 65
I've done this mod AGAIN, and it worked AGAIN.  I received my AD700's back from Audio Technica's amazing warranty program, and when I tried them on before the mod I said to myself "man, I hate how these fit, they're terrible!".  I did the mod today and they are so comfortable now.  I've also compared the sound signature to a more neutral headphone than my previous comparison I did with the AT M50's.  I compared them to my higher grade Beyerdynamic DT990/250ohm (yeah, not dead flat neutral but much more neutral than the super colored M50's).  They actually sound pretty good comparatively.  The AD700's aren't as musical, however, they're more open and airy sounding.  I'll probably use them for gaming and my 990's for music.

Just thought I'd update!

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #47 of 65
I did this with my AD2000 today. They never hurt my ears, but were slightly uncomfortable after 2 hours.

You can go to Lowes and look for a 3/8" Fuel Hose. It's black and in the plumbing department way up above your head.

It does change the sound a bit, but not too badly. It's like a perfect fit and it actually takes some work to get them out.

BTW I have the original PDF file for the AD2000 if anyone needs it. There's not much to the mod though.

The length comes out to around 10 1/2"

The AD2000 fits my head quite well, but the AD700 doesn't. Strange.

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #48 of 65

Quote:
I did this with my AD2000 today. They never hurt my ears, but were slightly uncomfortable after 2 hours.

You can go to Lowes and look for a 3/8" Fuel Hose. It's black and in the plumbing department way up above your head.

It does change the sound a bit, but not too badly. It's like a perfect fit and it actually takes some work to get them out.

BTW I have the original PDF file for the AD2000 if anyone needs it. There's not much to the mod though.

The length comes out to around 10 1/2"

The AD2000 fits my head quite well, but the AD700 doesn't. Strange.

Really? Please elaborate on stock fitment.  I've been holding back buying the AD1000's or 2000's (haven't decided yet) because of the autrocious fitment on the stock AD700's with me head.

By the way, I should mention I didn't use RG6 coax cable for this mod.  I used thicker 6-component cable.  I also packed the foam above and almost behind the ring of cable.  It gives the pads a more lifted feel.  They're so very spacious and comfortable.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #49 of 65
I had to return my AD700 since NOTHING would let them feel secure on my heard. I'd move all around and they'd fall off. I even did the old rubber band trick with no luck. I'm sooooo glad I took the risk with the AD2000. I have a small head and they fit me perfectly. There is no clamping force without the mod at all, but they still stay secure. The AD700 on the other hand felt like they were just balancing on my head.

With the 5/8" fuel hose there is a tiny bit of clamping force now, but I like it. It's a little less than the HD-600 on my head.

Because the AD2000 is hard to find, it's still a risk if you can't return the AD2000 due to a poor fit. Buying them used would be the best bet. Not sure if there is a fit difference between the AD1000 or AD2000. I think the AD2000 just fits better due to a little more clamp than the AD700 and it seems like it's a bit smaller, but maybe not. I don't know my cap size, but let me know if it'd help. I'm guessing I have a small head since the AD700 never fit me.

Love the AD2000 BTW. I think it's probably my favorite headphone I've tried so far.

Quote:

Really? Please elaborate on stock fitment.  I've been holding back buying the AD1000's or 2000's (haven't decided yet) because of the autrocious fitment on the stock AD700's with me head.

By the way, I should mention I didn't use RG6 coax cable for this mod.  I used thicker 6-component cable.  I also packed the foam above and almost behind the ring of cable.  It gives the pads a more lifted feel.  They're so very spacious and comfortable.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #51 of 65
Just got mine today... building a gaming system and I thought I'd start with the "gold standard" of gaming headphones.  All I have to say is Oh Em Effing Gee, who the hell are these supposed to fit?!  No one has ever accused me of having a small head... I wear L to XL fitted hats, XL to 2XL motorcycle helmets, and these things are STILL an inch too wide!  As in the tops of the cushions are each a half-inch away from my skin.  Definitely going to have to do something...

Adrian, my head is just shy of 24 inches in circumference around my hat line.  Trying to measure the width right now with a tape measure, which is not easy...  Fail.  Haha, you all would be laughing your rears off if you could see the various things I'm doing with my head to try to measure it.  Alright, the closest I can come is somewhere around 6.5-7in wide at the temple (had to use a mirror).  If your head is 8.5 inches wide or wider, you should be golden.  7.5 to 8, and you'll probably be just about right -- not snug, but not flopping off if you tilt your head.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #52 of 65
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505053/audio-technica-ath-ad700-fit-and-comfort-mod

That should help lol i think your head is bigger then mine jeez
eek.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #54 of 65
Used duct tape instead of masking tape and no foam. Seems like the soundstage is a lot bigger... Still very loose when I shake my head, but doesn't fall off when I tilt my head forward anymore. It just stops on my ears LOL...Gotta find the foam now. Thanks for the share.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #56 of 65
Quote:
http://imgur.com/a/stXSN mine =D

I like it. What tubing did you use to cover the band wires? Other than the paint, did you apply any other mods?

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

I like it. What tubing did you use to cover the band wires? Other than the paint, did you apply any other mods?

http://imgur.com/kOMDhj0 lol

http://microcenter.com/product/214700/CAT_6_White_Snagless_Network_Cable_3_Foot

the entire mod job required me to unsolder the wires from the drivers to do it, took apart every single piece, 2 layers of primer quick easy sand, and then gloss white(spray paint enamel), i did the coaxial mod, the dynomat mod, and rubberband mod, i tried to do a foam mod with some packing peanuts as a test and foudn that it would be uncomfortable and ruins the soundstage a bit, so i removed them(thats why you test things, had I bought some high quality soft foam, id have been upset after shredding it, when I could have used it for something else)

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #58 of 65
Quote:

http://imgur.com/kOMDhj0 lol

http://microcenter.com/product/214700/CAT_6_White_Snagless_Network_Cable_3_Foot

Ha! That's real funny. I should have noticed that. Very resourceful.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #60 of 65
Quote:
yeah i was looking for something else, but I couldnt find anything besides that for under 10$ a set of white wire sleeves alone were like 40$, so i was like NOPENOPE, ill just strip the ethernet cables.

Not that it didn't look great already, but leaving the cable text on there raises to coolness factor by 10 for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back