Audio Technica ATH-A900X vs AKG K550
May 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #61 of 93
At this point you shouldn't care what other people's opinion are. You've had the privilege to listen to both so trust your ears. Personal experience should always be trusted over the sketchy head-if group think. Back when I was looking for headphones, the dt770s were highly regarded, but when I got an opportunity to listen to them, they sounded like cap. Buy the a900x. Then comeback and give the less privileged a nice review.

May 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #62 of 93
Quote:
At this point you shouldn't care what other people's opinion are. You've had the privilege to listen to both so trust your ears. Personal experience should always be trusted over the sketchy head-if group think. Back when I was looking for headphones, the dt770s were highly regarded, but when I got an opportunity to listen to them, they sounded like cap. Buy the a900x. Then comeback and give the less privileged a nice review.

That's what I keep saying. He's just worried he's listening to a lemon pair, which probably isn't the case.

May 22, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #63 of 93
Sorry guys. It's just the way I am. I'm always trying to learn. Ears do adjust. Opinions do change. I just want to educate myself, gain some experience, and more fully develop my opinion. If I can understand why people feel the way they do about headphones, then give that approach a shot, I may change how I feel and be more happy for it. This is where I'm coming from. I'm new to headphones. I have some experience with hifi speakers, but not too much.

One other thing about my demo periods; when the music gets quiet you can easily pick up the sound that is heard when a cell phone is interfering with a radio. The weird beeping. I just don't have faith in this demo. The K550 sounds distant and overly airy. I really feel badly about the setup.

May 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #69 of 93
Quote:

Are the A900X and K550 being compared because you don't think there is a better competition in this price range? I know little of other options.

I believe because they are both new in that price range and most people gravitate/buy new products.  Haven't been here in a while so I don't know how "new" they are.  Back in the day people are comparing Denon D2000, AKG K701/702, Audio Technica A900, etc.

May 24, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #70 of 93
Well, my 900x sounds AMAZING with RSA Mustang amp. Even my house mate who owns a Grados RS1i was amazed at how good the 900x is even without amp

May 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #71 of 93
When it comes to gaming, which would be the preferred set? I have been getting into movies and gaming lately and am concerned it may be as big a factor as music. I am looking for a closed set, though. I know they are not in the same price range, but how would these cans compare to the W1000X and D7000? I can get a steal of a deal on these two cans.

May 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #72 of 93
I guess either are good, I mean they are all designed for best music reproduction as possible so there should be no problem in gaming. Both of my H650 and 900x sound good for gaming.

May 25, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #73 of 93
I tend to find "detail retrieval" a shady topic. While I won't lie and say I haven't heard new things with upper tiered headphones, I will say going back to even the basic of models, I usually can hear the same thing if I know what to listen for. If that makes sense.

I understand and agree with this. However, better headphones somehow bring out the details. I don't need to struggle to hear it, it's just there for me to hear. I've heard new things from songs I've heard dozens of times, and after hearing it once with the headphones I'm usually able to hear it on lesser devices too, unless it's really a micro-detail.

Interesting compare here, I must say that I'm suprised to read the impressions about the AKG K550, I thought it was some fancy design with decent at most sound. Though it seems than AKG believes in them too, considering they're called Reference Headphones. I might try these at a shop if someone has them in Finland. Apologies for my laziness, but are the pads real leather?

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #75 of 93
Quote:

I understand and agree with this. However, better headphones somehow bring out the details. I don't need to struggle to hear it, it's just there for me to hear. I've heard new things from songs I've heard dozens of times, and after hearing it once with the headphones I'm usually able to hear it on lesser devices too, unless it's really a micro-detail.

Interesting compare here, I must say that I'm suprised to read the impressions about the AKG K550, I thought it was some fancy design with decent at most sound. Though it seems than AKG believes in them too, considering they're called Reference Headphones. I might try these at a shop if someone has them in Finland. Apologies for my laziness, but are the pads real leather?

Nope, they're some type of pleather perhaps with memory foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back