Audio Technica ATH-A900X vs AKG K550
May 15, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #31 of 93
Quote:
I'm looking for closed but with slightly forward vocals or at least neutral, and bass with the grado like slam (al least) if not more. It's not quantity I'm after, more the impact. The D2000 is V shaped and most opinions say the vocals are really recessed. Plus when I auditioned them they didn't really impress me. 

EDIT* I see you have/had the Q701's. How do they compare?

I've owned the Q701 twice, and absolutely loved it the second time around. Paired it with the HRT and M-Stage and it was fantastic. But, there are two reasons I got rid of it. Headband was awful, and I wished the bottom end had more substance. The K550 fixed both those issues for me, while adding the dual benefit of being closed. I adored the Q701's midrange (DT880 was no match) and the K550 seems to retain everything I remember about the Q701's midrange, while adding the much needed weight to the bottom. Very, very good headphone!

Vocals are very recessed on the D2000. I find any headphone now days can be bass cannons with no midrange, so I tend to look at balance in the sound and a very forward midrange. Sennheisers have always been good to me in that regard.

Quote:
Are you referring to the K550?  If so, I respectfully/strongly disagree.  I'm still weighing the amps, DACs and media players I have on hand (with another DAC on the way) to post a conclusive writeup later in the week, but I've found that this already great headphone becomes a whole different beast when the drivers are properly stimulated.  Increased body, GREAT bass and articulate treble... there's a heck of a lot to love with the right complimentary equipment.

Yes, I am.

I'll have to disagree with one of your statement as well. You mention, "a whole different beast". Funny thing is, out of every headphone and amp I've ever owned, none of them improved enough to label them as a "different beast". Partially the reason I stopped buying amps all together, is because I find the price/performance ratio stinks. Yeah, I realize some headphones actually need the extra power, but as far as sound quality improvement...

I think users that cannot afford a decent setup should still consider running the K550 unamped. I found it sounds fantastic regardless.

May 15, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #32 of 93
Quote:

I'll have to disagree with one of your statement as well. You mention, "a whole different beast". Funny thing is, out of every headphone and amp I've ever owned, none of them improved enough to label them as a "different beast". Partially the reason I stopped buying amps all together, is because I find the price/performance ratio stinks. Yeah, I realize some headphones actually need the extra power, but as far as sound quality improvement...

Out of sheer curiosity, what kit did you try them with?  Using my Duet 2 or HDP as an all-in-one or pairing either with my PPAv2 all produced varying degrees of improvement.  In terms of price/performance, I guess that would be subjective. (and something I'm currently in the process of figuring out my own boundaries on)  In terms of becoming "a whole different beast," I stand by my statement.  Exposition is forthcoming.

Quote:

I think users that cannot afford a decent setup should still consider running the K550 unamped. I found it sounds fantastic regardless.

I agree completely. 
beerchug.gif

May 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #34 of 93
I've taken another listen and I am lost. I must be hearing a defective unit. Can someone having experienced both the A900X and the K550 explain to me in as great a detail as possible without bias what the characteristics of these models are?

May 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #35 of 93
Quote:
I've taken another listen and I am lost. I must be hearing a defective unit. Can someone having experienced both the A900X and the K550 explain to me in as great a detail as possible without bias what the characteristics of these models are?

Well, besides me I'm sure you mean.

My comparison is still in progress. I've been working long hours on it.

May 18, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #36 of 93
Quote:

Well, besides me I'm sure you mean.

My comparison is still in progress. I've been working long hours on it.

I'd like to hear more from you as well. I look forward to reading your comparison. Make sure to share it with me; I'd greatly appreciate it. Are there any brief objective descriptions that you can share about the two? Characteristics that could be easily grasped from a few quick yet intimate sessions.

May 18, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #37 of 93
Quote:

I'd like to hear more from you as well. I look forward to reading your comparison. Make sure to share it with me; I'd greatly appreciate it. Are there any brief objective descriptions that you can share about the two? Characteristics that could be easily grasped from a few quick yet intimate sessions.

Without even discussing sound, I'd take the K550 every single time just based on it's build and ergonomics.

Between the two, K550 has much better bass extension, while the A900X has it's bass focus up near the mids.
Midrange is miles bette ron the K550. A900X is truly recessed in comparison. Voices on the K550 really grasp you.
Treble is more fatiguing on the A900X, yet it's not a fatiguing headphone. K550's treble is more clean and crisp.

Overall, the A900X sounds thin and distant in comparison to the K550. It's pretty obvious the K550 is a step up.

May 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #38 of 93
Quote:

Without even discussing sound, I'd take the K550 every single time just based on it's build and ergonomics.

Between the two, K550 has much better bass extension, while the A900X has it's bass focus up near the mids.
Midrange is miles bette ron the K550. A900X is truly recessed in comparison. Voices on the K550 really grasp you.
Treble is more fatiguing on the A900X, yet it's not a fatiguing headphone. K550's treble is more clean and crisp.

Overall, the A900X sounds thin and distant in comparison to the K550. It's pretty obvious the K550 is a step up.

What is the content, DAC, and amplifier being used, again? I may just be too new to this, but I am hearing the opposite. The K550 feels somewhat lifeless and distant. Is it likely that I just have different tastes? Could you describe the K550 as dry or cold? The A900X sounds warmer, fuller in soundstage, more separation, better detail, and just feels smoother. I keep asking because I so badly want to like the K550 better. It is far more comfortable and attractive, and the description you are giving sounds phenomenal, even if I am not quite experiencing it. I may drive out tonight and test out a set a bit farther down the road. Thanks for keeping up with me.

May 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #39 of 93
Quote:
What is the content, DAC, and amplifier being used, again? I may just be too new to this, but I am hearing the opposite. The K550 feels somewhat lifeless and distant. Is it likely that I just have different tastes? Could you describe the K550 as dry or cold? The A900X sounds warmer, fuller in soundstage, more separation, better detail, and just feels smoother. I keep asking because I so badly want to like the K550 better. It is far more comfortable and attractive, and the description you are giving sounds phenomenal, even if I am not quite experiencing it. I may drive out tonight and test out a set a bit farther down the road. Thanks for keeping up with me.

So, what's the point of this thread if you like the A900X better under direct comparison? I'm confused.

May 18, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #40 of 93
A factor that might be affecting the comparision is the A900Xs have been out longer then the AKG K550.
So the A900X you tried might have been more broken in then the AKG K550 ("breaking in headphones" is a point of discussion).
Also the amplifier used for the test might just work better for the A900X over the K550.

I'm not sure how much the following affects sound.
The A900X's maximum input power is 2000mw
Maximum input power on the K550 is 200mw

Could it be the A900X just scales up better with an amplifier then the K550?

P.S. as the A900X sells for $60 cheaper then the K550, get the A900X.

May 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #41 of 93
Quote:

So, what's the point of this thread if you like the A900X better under direct comparison? I'm confused.

The point is that I may have listened to a defective model or haven't spent enough time with the model to experience it more fully. I'm new to this and hear great things about the K550. I love the look and overall design. If by chance I am able to experience more than what I have so far, then I would be quite delighted. Seeing as my observation is quite opposite about the K550, I feel there must be something wrong. If it is truly a step up from the A900X in audio performance, then I am thrilled to grab a pair. I just want to know if the pair I was using is defective or in bad shape due to being on display. I thought the point of the thread was clear. I am new to this and experienced differently and wouldn't be surprised if the unit demoed has been treated poorly. 

May 18, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #42 of 93
Quote:

I personally would still take the K550 even if it was $100 more

Quote:

The point is that I may have listened to a defective model or haven't spent enough time with the model to experience it more fully. I'm new to this and hear great things about the K550. I love the look and overall design. If by chance I am able to experience more than what I have so far, then I would be quite delighted. Seeing as my observation is quite opposite about the K550, I feel there must be something wrong. If it is truly a step up from the A900X in audio performance, then I am thrilled to grab a pair. I just want to know if the pair I was using is defective or in bad shape due to being on display. I thought the point of the thread was clear. I am new to this and experienced differently and wouldn't be surprised if the unit demoed has been treated poorly. 

Yes, I get what your thread is about. But what's not clear to 'anyone' is whether or not you got a defective pair. Unless you plan on getting another K550 to compare, you'll probably never know if your pair is a lemon or not. And that's a terrible feeling, I know. But 'counting hands' via thread poll and discussion isn't going to change anything. So, back to what I mentioned, I'd just stick with the A900X if it sounds better to you *unless* you plan on getting your hands on another K550 to compare. Because even if a million people tell me something sounds good, and it sounds bad to my ears, then by golly I won't listen to it.

May 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #44 of 93
Quote:
A factor that might be affecting the comparision is the A900Xs have been out longer then the AKG K550.
So the A900X you tried might have been more broken in then the AKG K550 ("breaking in headphones" is a point of discussion).
Also the amplifier used for the test might just work better for the A900X over the K550.

I'm not sure how much the following affects sound.
The A900X's maximum input power is 2000mw
Maximum input power on the K550 is 200mw

Could it be the A900X just scales up better with an amplifier then the K550?

This is interesting. The A900X did sound more involved. Maybe relative to the A900X, the K550 can benefit more with a proper amp. For me, the price of the K550 and A900X are the same.

Quote:

I personally would still take the K550 even if it was $100 more

Yes, I get what your thread is about. But what's not clear to 'anyone' is whether or not you got a defective pair. Unless you plan on getting another K550 to compare, you'll probably never know if your pair is a lemon or not. And that's a terrible feeling, I know. But 'counting hands' via thread poll and discussion isn't going to change anything. So, back to what I mentioned, I'd just stick with the A900X if it sounds better to you *unless* you plan on getting your hands on another K550 to compare. Because even if a million people tell me something sounds good, and it sounds bad to my ears, then by golly I won't listen to it.

I do not yet have either model. I have only listened to them on display in a Magnolia at Best Buy. The models have not been broken in at all as it is a new display and new product to Magnolia. I noticed a few aspects of this new setup that lead me to believe the installer was careless, but I did find all connections to be proper. 

I can be a bit of a hassle, but this is how I am. I often end up with the best product for me. I go through phases of infatuation and bias to open-mindedness. I'm quite particular and greatly appreciate anyone willing to put up with me. 

EDIT: I just noticed the soundstage is described as "remote" on the K550s. This may be relevant to what I've been experiencing. With the amount of noise in the demo area that had been somewhat distracting I may have been more inclined to enjoy a very forward soundstage. Would you describe the soundstage of the K550 to be a bit remote and the opposite for the A900X?

May 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #45 of 93
Quote:
I do not yet have either model. I have only listened to them on display in a Magnolia at Best Buy. The models have not been broken in at all as it is a new display and new product to Magnolia. I noticed a few aspects of this new setup that lead me to believe the installer was careless, but I did find all connections to be proper. 

I can be a bit of a hassle, but this is how I am. I often end up with the best product for me. I go through phases of infatuation and bias to open-mindedness. I'm quite particular and greatly appreciate anyone willing to put up with me. 

EDIT: I just noticed the soundstage is described as "remote" on the K550s. This may be relevant to what I've been experiencing. With the amount of noise in the demo area that had been somewhat distracting I may have been more inclined to enjoy a very forward soundstage. Would you describe the soundstage of the K550 to be a bit remote and the opposite for the A900X?

Oh okay. I was under the impression you owned the A900X, and were comparing it to a "lemon" K550 you had. Had no idea it they were display models. Makes sense now.

"Remote" is a very strange way to describe soundstage. I'll just say the K550 sounds more like an open headphone, while the A900X sounds very linear in comparison. The K550 is more forward sounding all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back