Audio Technica ATH-A900X vs AKG K550
May 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #18 of 93
I like to have an idea on how I would upgrade and get a taste of company sound signatures. I feel like I want to go K550 > W1000X > D7000

I liked the idea of closed headphones.

Also, I would like to see your full unbiased write up to see if my experience was with a faulty set and when I compare them again, I can see if I agree.

May 14, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #19 of 93
Hey katun. Thanks for the comparisons. I agree with you on the build quality of the A900x. I've tried the 700x and they were the cheapest headphones I've tried in terms of "feel". It felt like a childs toy. They were so light and the wing system didn't work, headphone kept sliding down my head. The AD900 was much better. I don't know if the wing system is the same or stronger, but  it had a tighter clamp and just feels more luxurious. It stayed on my very small head even when I tried to shake it off.

I looked up the k550 before but I read something that put me off it, I can remember what it was. Do the 550's have more bass than the AT's? Also do they sound too analytical compared to the 900x? I'm looking for a fun sound with forward vocals but good enough bass. The 900x seems to fit this description but if the 550 does everything better, then I might buy that as it's much cheaper and better built. I have the DT770's atm. Would you say they are a big step up from it?

May 14, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #20 of 93
Quote:
Hey katun. Thanks for the comparisons. I agree with you on the build quality of the A900x. I've tried the 700x and they were the cheapest headphones I've tried in terms of "feel". It felt like a childs toy. They were so light and the wing system didn't work, headphone kept sliding down my head. The AD900 was much better. I don't know if the wing system is the same or stronger, but  it had a tighter clamp and just feels more luxurious. It stayed on my very small head even when I tried to shake it off.

I looked up the k550 before but I read something that put me off it, I can remember what it was. Do the 550's have more bass than the AT's? Also do they sound too analytical compared to the 900x? I'm looking for a fun sound with forward vocals but good enough bass. The 900x seems to fit this description but if the 550 does everything better, then I might buy that as it's much cheaper and better built. I have the DT770's atm. Would you say they are a big step up from it?

Interesting how you mention the A700X was sliding down your head. The A900X are actually even heavier! So it would be even more exaggerated.

Yes, I think the K550's bass has more weight and overall quality to it. Not sure about the DT770, have never heard those. But I think the K550's are better than any Beyer I've tried (DT880 and DT990).

May 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #21 of 93
Quote:

Interesting how you mention the A700X was sliding down your head. The A900X are actually even heavier! So it would be even more exaggerated.

Yes, I think the K550's bass has more weight and overall quality to it. Not sure about the DT770, have never heard those. But I think the K550's are better than any Beyer I've tried (DT880 and DT990).

I remember what it was I read that put me off about the k550's. The thin mids and lack of bass. Are the mids and bass fuller than the a900x? It's vocals mainly I'm concerned about. If you've heard the AD900's then maybe you'll have an idea of what I'm not looking for. Although they were clear and clinical, the treble was too much and the music sounded really thin and lifeless. They had zero bass as well.

May 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #22 of 93
Quote:
I remember what it was I read that put me off about the k550's. The thin mids and lack of bass. Are the mids and bass fuller than the a900x? It's vocals mainly I'm concerned about. If you've heard the AD900's then maybe you'll have an idea of what I'm not looking for. Although they were clear and clinical, the treble was too much and the music sounded really thin and lifeless. They had zero bass as well.

This is important to me as well. I need vocal clarity. My experience is that the A900X had more bass and more forward, rich mids... This is why all the rage about the K550 makes me feel my experience was flawed.

May 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #23 of 93
Quote:

Are you looking for closed? Why not get the D2000? Or an Ultrasone? Those are probably going to be more fun sounding, but again, preferences.

Midrange and bass are both fuller on the K550, but not by huge amounts. From the A900X to the K550 kinda reminds me of going from the AD700 to the AD900, and then some. Improvement wise, that is.

Thin midrange? Lack of bass? Midrange beats out the DT880 easily. For those who complain about bass are probably bassheads. Because I'm struggling to think of another model that has just a bit more bass without running into the D2000 and beyond.

May 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #24 of 93
Quote:

I've found they really don't benefit from amplification, which is actually a good thing.

Are you referring to the K550?  If so, I respectfully/strongly disagree.  I'm still weighing the amps, DACs and media players I have on hand (with another DAC on the way) to post a conclusive writeup later in the week, but I've found that this already great headphone becomes a whole different beast when the drivers are properly stimulated.  Increased body, GREAT bass and articulate treble... there's a heck of a lot to love with the right complimentary equipment.

May 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #25 of 93
Quote:

Are you looking for closed? Why not get the D2000? Or an Ultrasone? Those are probably going to be more fun sounding, but again, preferences.

Midrange and bass are both fuller on the K550, but not by huge amounts. From the A900X to the K550 kinda reminds me of going from the AD700 to the AD900, and then some. Improvement wise, that is.

Thin midrange? Lack of bass? Midrange beats out the DT880 easily. For those who complain about bass are probably bassheads. Because I'm struggling to think of another model that has just a bit more bass without running into the D2000 and beyond.

I'm looking for closed but with slightly forward vocals or at least neutral, and bass with the grado like slam (al least) if not more. It's not quantity I'm after, more the impact. The D2000 is V shaped and most opinions say the vocals are really recessed. Plus when I auditioned them they didn't really impress me. 

EDIT* I see you have/had the Q701's. How do they compare?

May 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #26 of 93
Quote:

Are you referring to the K550?  If so, I respectfully/strongly disagree.  I'm still weighing the amps, DACs and media players I have on hand (with another DAC on the way) to post a conclusive writeup later in the week, but I've found that this already great headphone becomes a whole different beast when the drivers are properly stimulated.  Increased body, GREAT bass and articulate treble... there's a heck of a lot to love with the right complimentary equipment.

Are you a K550 fan? If so, why?

May 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #27 of 93
Quote:

Are you a K550 fan? If so, why?

I am.  You can read my initial thoughts here.  You'll need to scroll down the page a bit since I have no idea how to link to a single post on these forums. 
redface.gif
 (a 'lil help?)

May 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #30 of 93
Quote:

I am.  You can read my initial thoughts here.  You'll need to scroll down the page a bit since I have no idea how to link to a single post on these forums. 
redface.gif
 (a 'lil help?)

Wow, great writing. This might considers me buying the AKG K550 for real again. The only problem is that I need the earpad to be at least as good or better than the 900x because I wear glasses. Because sometime the 900x hurts my side skull behind the ears which is very annoying. I know that a good seal is important but if its too tight then I won't be able to enjoy it unless I get lens contact =.=

Users who are viewing this thread

Back