Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Jul 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #211 of 751
ATH-WS99 vs ATH-A900X
Any feedback would be helpful because I'm in a bit of jam here. Seems like the WS99 has been getting praise left and right for its bass heavy signature with attention to midrange/treble detail/focus. It almost seems too good to be true. I know the A900X will not disappoint regarding mids, highs, soundstage, etc., but lack of sub bass could be an issue.

Thoughts?

Btw, I'm coming from the M50.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #213 of 751
Quote:
Is the Xonar DG good enough for the a900x?

The xonar dg 5.1 with built in amp will be able to properly drive the a900x based on experience.
If you're a bass head and would like to push the a900x further, I recommend an amp that has EQ knobs/buttons. These headphones have much potential in punch and quantity.

I'm curious to know if the a900x benefits from a high end amplifier. Since I'm using an entry level Fiio E07K which happens to do the job right for me.

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #214 of 751
DAMN IT! The left driver is having problems. It is cracking on some songs when the bass comes in. On some it's very noticeable and it kind of vibrates with the song. Sort of like those cars with the maxed out subwoofers turned all the way up. I already tried blowing on it and i took off the ear pads to see if there's anything. Looks like im gonna have to send in for repair. :frowning2:

EDIT: Everything seems fine now thankfully. I guess something was on the driver or something.

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #215 of 751
So i received the w1000x ear pads today and man was it tough to get on! They are noticeably smaller than the stock ear pads. I did manage to get them on and while the pleather and foam is more comfortable I noticed it seemingly made a better seal.

Sound wise it seems the mids has been increased by a tiny amount. It sounds really similar though.

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #216 of 751
Since we are discussing pads, I'm also looking to replace my a900x pads.  I've heard people replacing DT880 pads with HE-500 velour pads and since people have said you can use DT880 pads on a900x's, does anybody know if the transitive property holds and HE velours can be used on a900x's?  HE velours can be had pretty cheaply so I was wondering if anybody has tried this out?

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #217 of 751
Ok, so since I had read that some people have put FA-003/HM5/Jaycar pads on HE-400's I decided to try to put my spare Jaycar pads on the A900x's. It took some effort as it is a super tight fit, but they can be put on.  They are definitely much more comfortable given the extra padding, but I'm not sure about the sound yet.  They seem more sibilant and have more treble than I remember before, but will listen for a bit more and see if that holds up.  

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #218 of 751
Initial ATH-A900X Impressions

Introduction:

Picked up the A900X yesterday.  Here are my first impressions after about 5-7 hours of burn in.  I have been listening through my 3rd Gen Ipod Touch and my Toshiba laptop.  I've had the M50s for about 4 years.  Picked up the A900X on ebay for around $160.  Brand new.

Impressions:

-Balanced sound signature. Can be slightly bright with some genres.  Nice treble detail and extention.  Noticing more details in the drumming, especially in death metal.
-Tight bass.  The M50 definitely has a higher output in the sub bass frequencies, but the A900X bass is cleaner and more textured.  Not suitable for genres demanding lower/sub bass frequencies.
-Unable to get a seal around the ears. I used to a rubber band to remedy the situation and couldn't be happier.  These are quite comfortable.
-Seamless mid range.  Quite clear and liquid.  Compared to the M50, the A900X has another sonic dimension to be experienced.
-Wider Soundstage.  The soundstage is decently bigger than the M50.  It really helps to relieve congestion between the lows and highs, allowing for nice mid range presentation.
-Average noise isolation.  Provides some isolation from the environment, but not too much.
-Easier to drive.  I wouldn't be surprised if my amplifier preferred a headphone of a lower impedance.  The 4 ohm increase has been noticeable on my equipment.  These would probably benefit from an amplifier, but it isn't crucial in any sense.

Conclusion:

These are great headphones.  I can't wait for them to continue burning in because I pretty much liked these headphones out of the box.  If they had a little more sub bass output, buying these headphones is almost punishable by law. For $160, you are getting A LOT of headphone.  A lot of the comments in this thread contributed to my decision.  AT does it again!

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #219 of 751
Quote:
I still worried about that "bad batch" apparently in the 2012-05 marked sticker. I want to order from e bay, but I've been asking and sellers tell me that's the date their boxes are marked with.

anyone now something about this ???

Mine have that sticker. They sound fine to me. But I haven't done any testing to see if the drivers are mismatched.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #220 of 751
I got these a few weeks ago, and I must say , I am a bit disappointed. This is my first closed headphone, so this might contribute to it, but this headphone to me sounds on par to the (much cheaper) Superlux 668B. The soundstage is improved, but I don't feel any warmth in this headphone. Does adding an amplifier help in this respect? Right now I'm running this out of onboard realtek, but I don't want to dump money into an amp and end up with no difference.

I realize now that this thread is probably more appropriate for me (I guess i'm not appreciating?):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/608889/audio-technica-ath-a900x-discussion-thread-formerly-a-900x-review/240

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #221 of 751
I got these a few weeks ago, and I must say , I am a bit disappointed. This is my first closed headphone, so this might contribute to it, but this headphone to me sounds on par to the (much cheaper) Superlux 668B. The soundstage is improved, but I don't feel any warmth in this headphone. Does adding an amplifier help in this respect? Right now I'm running this out of onboard realtek, but I don't want to dump money into an amp and end up with no difference.

I realize now that this thread is probably more appropriate for me (I guess i'm not appreciating?):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/608889/audio-technica-ath-a900x-discussion-thread-formerly-a-900x-review/240

When using the fiio e17 (vs just the headphone out on my macbook) it makes a slight difference. The sound is cleaned up a bit but that's more or less from the dac at work not the amp. Amping these aren't needed really at all.

As far as not as much warmth in the sound as you'd like maybe you just need to adjust to the sound? Playing this pink noise on 1080p may help. I found before i did this the a900x was a bit harsh up top and that's coming from a sr225i. Played this for 15 mins and it made a difference. Maybe too much bass has been added for my tastes. :atsmile:

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #223 of 751
Guys the more I use these headphones the more I love them. By now I'm sure I have well over a hundred hours of music and a couple hundred hours of gaming into them. They are just amazing. To me, not a single part of their range is bad. The bass is nice and tight, without being boomy. The midrange is absolutely great, and both male and female vocals sound luscious. The treble is also incredible. It is absolutely beautiful, without being sibilant or shrieky. They also have a giant soundstage and incredible clarity and detail with great instrument separation. If you are still thinking about these, just look at the reviews on amazon. At least 10 reviewers said they were much better than the m50s and several others called them better than the dt880! I got mine at $140, which is a killer deal. At their current price of $236, they are still a good deal, but I might wait for the price to fall.

Check out my review! http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-a900x-art-monitor-headphones-japan-import

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #224 of 751
Aug 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #225 of 751
As you probably know, Audio Technica is a Japanese company. To keep costs low and profit high they produce their headphones in japan, and ship them out internationally.

a. I've purchased the Audio Technica A900X from Beach Camera and Audio Technica CKM500 from Comtachi Japan. Both orders came in well and working. Considering Audio Technica makes more durable headphones instead of fancy packaging boxes, your headphones will be safe nonetheless.

b. That is true, sending them back would be a pain, I have no experience with sending back headphones to audio technica. However I have ordered spare wings from them since I have done tightening mods that came with it. They were glad to sell them to me for $5 each, their customer service always responds within 24 hours for my experience.

c. When my a900x came in, I was charged $34 when they were delivered by fedex and ordered from Beach Camera. Beach camera put the price as $220 + $0 shipping, but I guess Fedex decided to charge me extra, if I didn't pay they would have had to return the package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back