Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Aug 5, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #226 of 751
Did anyone else have any problems with these durability wise? I'm just wondering since the rubber strain relief coming out of the left cup seems to slightly coming out.

It's barely noticeable but I was just wondering since i bought these used and have no warranty on them. Loving these however! :atsmile:

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #227 of 751
So Ive had these now for 3 weeks or so. Im pairing them with an ebay Dac/Amp( this one ) using Itunes with mostly lossless files that I ripped myself.

Ive started noticing some crackling/something at certain frequencies. I have a hard time describing it, but at the 4min mark of Coldplay's Lovers in Japan, when it slows down and the piano comes in I can hear crackling in both channels each time the piano gets more prominent. I notice it in many other songs too, but since I listen to alot of metal and hard rock, I only notice it during intros and then cant hear it during the rest of the song.

I tested it using the Dac and straight out of the laptop as well, I can hear it from both.

Edit: As I was writing this I also just tested straight from my Ipod, using the coldplay song, and I cant hear the crackling.

So maybe its the laptop? or some settings in itunes? I have no idea. Hopefully its not the headphones....

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #228 of 751
Oh my... just received this headphone 5 mins ago to watch movie/youtube, I know I had to post my first impression.
This headphone has awesome bass, well not as nice as LCD2 or TH900 but it's there, seriously good sound quality.

I paid this for $169 USD so considering the price factor it's an awesome deal compare to TH900 $2000+tax or D7000.

I say it's about 80% of LCD2 in terms of SQ.  more to come guys.. enjoy your ATH-A900X.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #229 of 751
I thought you guys might like to see what the Alpha pads look like on the A900x since I posted a mini-review a little earlier.
Has to be the biggest pair I've ever owned.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vr8hs3eogem2nua/989_0438.JPG

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #230 of 751
I thought you guys might like to see what the Alpha pads look like on the A900x since I posted a mini-review a little earlier.
Has to be the biggest pair I've ever owned.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vr8hs3eogem2nua/989_0438.JPG

Where I get it ? Thanks in advance.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #231 of 751
I think I have a big ear, this headphone isn't really over ear it's more like on ear. I think the earcups are too small, I have no problem fitting my ears with HD800 but this headphone is too small.

Any suggestion ?

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #232 of 751
I think I have a big ear, this headphone isn't really over ear it's more like on ear. I think the earcups are too small, I have no problem fitting my ears with HD800 but this headphone is too small. Any suggestion ?

The Alpha pads really close off the ears; I think they might be of some help.

I found them on ebay; I don't know where to find them normally.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #233 of 751
Do those ear-pads change the sound signature any and are they good for those who wear glasses. Took a couple of secs but i found where to get them on google which is here https://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63 . As the default A900X pads are too small for my ears as well.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #234 of 751
Do those ear-pads change the sound signature any and are they good for those who wear glasses. Took a couple of secs but i found where to get them on google which is here https://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63 . As the default A900X pads are too small for my ears as well.

$60 ? I may pay $20 more for LCD2 vegan pads.

Anyone successfully installed LCD2 pads for A900X ?

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #235 of 751
I already fine paying 60 for ear pads steep as it is, I might as well switch headphones. I do like the headphones but not the padding and it worst now that i have to wear glasses 24/7.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #236 of 751
I already fine paying 60 for ear pads steep as it is, I might as well switch headphones. I do like the headphones but not the padding and it worst now that i have to wear glasses 24/7.

Ya I liked A900X a lot for the price, I might buy LCD vegan pads and yolk/headband and make my own cup housing after I extract A900X drivers...

Big project :) or maybe sell it. :frowning2:

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #237 of 751
I wear glasses 24/7 and I don't have any problems with the Alpha pads.
They're ridiculously comfortable and seem to have improved the sound signature (IMO); you can read my mini-review a little earlier on in this thread.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #238 of 751
Do you guys think the dacs found in ipod touches and toshiba laptops (perhaps laptops in general) should certainly be replaced with something like a schiit modi, fiio e17, etc. ?  I feel like I am not getting about 65-75% capability from my A900X due to my sources.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #239 of 751
Quote:
Do you guys think the dacs found in ipod touches and toshiba laptops (perhaps laptops in general) should certainly be replaced with something like a schiit modi, fiio e17, etc. ?  I feel like I am not getting about 65-75% capability from my A900X due to my sources.

The a900x has very slight changes if you decide to properly amplify these headphones. From what my friends say, they believe that the ipod touch may require amplification for headphones over 40 ohms. The differences you may notice is an extension in the lower frequencies that make mids sound fuller. So if you're looking for more bass, amping the a900x is optional. Older models of toshiba laptops (e.g. older than 2006), may or may not require amplification. From my experience, toshiba laptops didn't send out the cleanest signals while they were under load, and were unable to give my a900x the fullness it usually has.

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #240 of 751
Is it just me but A900X has pretty harsh trebles, it's actually horrible. Maybe I need to burn more ? I've got it last week so maybe I have about 20 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back