Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Aug 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #241 of 751
Quote:
Oh my... just received this headphone 5 mins ago to watch movie/youtube, I know I had to post my first impression.
This headphone has awesome bass, well not as nice as LCD2 or TH900 but it's there, seriously good sound quality.

I paid this for $169 USD so considering the price factor it's an awesome deal compare to TH900 $2000+tax or D7000.

I say it's about 80% of LCD2 in terms of SQ.  more to come guys.. enjoy your ATH-A900X.

You know you can find these, for $100 refurbished on ebay right! 

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #242 of 751
Quote:
Is it just me but A900X has pretty harsh trebles, it's actually horrible. Maybe I need to burn more ? I've got it last week so maybe I have about 20 hours.

For me I don't but then it could be that I burned them in as well as being used with my NFB15.32. One thing tho, some how I Put a crack in the Y on the right side of the headphone. Maybe its time I should go back to metal using headphones. As plastic is not safe from me. unless its thicker plastic. I had to put some some package tape on the crack to keep it together.

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #243 of 751
You know you can find these, for $100 refurbished on ebay right! 

Ya I saw that on eBay
I never trust refurb ones
But thanks for the info ! :)

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #244 of 751
Quote:
Is it just me but A900X has pretty harsh trebles, it's actually horrible. Maybe I need to burn more ? I've got it last week so maybe I have about 20 hours.

I agree to a certain extent.  It can be pretty bright/fatiguing at times, but it's only usually with songs that are already bright to begin with.  Mine have around 100 hours.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #245 of 751
Quote:

Ya I saw that on eBay I never trust refurb onesBut thanks for the info ! :)

Trust the Refurbish as long as it has Audio Technica 2 Year warrenty with it, I have a refurb w1000x and it's perfectly fine. Think of it this way. A refurbhished is better than good, because it has been retuned an repiared exactly as it should. Even production models come otu with little error's, but a refurbished is repiared or corrected, so any issue that was present in new is also fixed. An I am talking refurbished off of Amazon. Which comes with a return policy mind you xD 

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #247 of 751
Quote:
Whats a good price point to sell these used with an e11 amp? thanks

Nice Combo maybe $150 for em both, the can alone goes for around $130 used and the amp $35 so $150 is a nice little discount on em both I'd think

My Akg K550 came and in well sadly they are more epic that I had even imagined anything portable could be... the combination of sound and isolation is most epic. SO I think after I reivew my ath a900x I will sell it... as it is "MORE FUN" which honestly the K550 is PLENTY fun for me, any more fun would mean more forward mids and loose'r bass. As honestly the k550 is like a perfect mix of my Dt 990 and w1000x. while not being better than either one. Just a touch less refined

Point being, any one want a used Ath a900x In Box for $132 [free shipping :D]

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #249 of 751
So I bought an Alpha Pads for A900x and it's too small. Crap !.
Anyone successfully installed it ?

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #250 of 751
Quote:
So I bought an Alpha Pads for A900x and it's too small. Crap !.
Anyone successfully installed it ?

Yep! Wearing 'em right now.
It took me about 5 minutes, but in my opinion, it was a 5 minutes very well spent.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o7xnx4fsfvxjgx/989_0440.JPG?m

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #251 of 751
Quote:
It took me about 5 minutes, but in my opinion, it was a 5 minutes very well spent.

Whoa, I bet that does wonders for them! A pads where excellent on the Mad Dogs, how does it change up the sound? 

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #252 of 751
Quote:

Did you unscrew the pad housing from the headphone ? This Maddogs Alpha pads are too small, can't strech.
Maybe I bought the wrong one ?

Sorry photos are upside down, (don't know how to rotate).

Maddog pads are 9 centimeter in diameter, and A900X factory pads are 10.5 centimeter in diameter.

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #253 of 751
It was a really tight fit, but with enough stretching, you can get them on well enough to where they'll stay.
Don't be too afraid to really push on the pads to get them to stretch around the cups.

As far as the sound, I felt it really helped balance out the treble with the rest of the spectrum (it was a little overbearing before).
The general....hm...presentation of everything just felt more real as opposed to before when it seemed like the sound was just pushed out farther on either side of my head rather than all around me.
It was actually like I had two cans over my ears with sound playing through (didn't feel that with the M50), but with the Alpha pads, I don't get that feeling, even though they isolate so well.
They're more comfortable and really improved the overall signature, but that's just me.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #254 of 751
Quote:
It was a really tight fit, but with enough stretching, you can get them on well enough to where they'll stay.
Don't be too afraid to really push on the pads to get them to stretch around the cups.

As far as the sound, I felt it really helped balance out the treble with the rest of the spectrum (it was a little overbearing before).
The general....hm...presentation of everything just felt more real as opposed to before when it seemed like the sound was just pushed out farther on either side of my head rather than all around me.
It was actually like I had two cans over my ears with sound playing through (didn't feel that with the M50), but with the Alpha pads, I don't get that feeling, even though they isolate so well.
They're more comfortable and really improved the overall signature, but that's just me.

Thanks PChu for the information. :)

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #255 of 751
I finally got it on the 2nd attempt, I had to re-assemble the housing back and then the pads.

As for the trebles, PCHU was right it balances out to the rest but to me overall SQ is now bit muddy, however the sound stage significantly improved same level as LCD2.
In fact with Maddog pads it resembles lot like Audeze headphones except it's black :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back