Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Jul 20, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #661 of 751
  I'm also a proud owner of the A900X. They are great headphones, but I have to admit that since getting my HE-400's I've barely used them.

Technically & to some extent sonic-wise He-400 is better but to that sonic bcz its has diff. sound because of more lower-mids.
The problem it has :
1)Recessed Upper Mids /Lower Treble
2)Treble is not Good , you can compare A900x still has way better crystalline treble
3)Comfort-wise poor.
4)Ok ok Soundstage.

Pros :
1)Bass
2)Lush Mids(basically lower mids) bringing body to sound

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #662 of 751
  I have no clue what genre the "signature ATH" sound will sound good on, ugh it reminds me of the sound signature on cheap mass market headphones, maybe that's why I am biased against them. The coloring also makes a lot of different music feel like they have the same timbre as well... They are very forgiving to low bitrate music, maybe that's their intention. On high bitrate music, electric guitars are muted and violins/pianos sound mushy, I just can't listen to them without EQ simulating goldenears' Accudio.

They are not bad with classical music.
Not great but not bad.The sound staging is actually quite fine for a closed headphone.Compared to "cheap mass market headphones" they live in another galaxy of better soundstage.
Maybe another universe 
biggrin.gif

The sound staging could (it seems to me) may actually compensate for their other negative qualities.
In an orchestral recording,the detail, separation, imaging is not bad at all. Much better than a good many more expensive headphones.
The slightly honky tone is actually their only obvious flaw IMO.
At the same time, the coloring may contribute to the forgiveness you`ve mentioned.

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #663 of 751
loving my A900X at the moment .. got some new shure 1540 pads and that's just given it new life. Adding my C5D amp with a slightly bass boost makes it just the perfect headphone. I've been using my Z7 for the last few months and neglecting the A900X but it's back baby :)

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #666 of 751
  Any pictures?

The1540 pads fit quite well .. does take  time to stretch them to fit but they do fit and won't move or fall off at all. Very comfortable IMO.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #670 of 751
I want the a900 pads so bad as the bass really is droning with the stock pads, maybe one day when I get more disposable income to justify 25 bucks on earpads :p

Though these are remarkable drivers, you can EQ them to do all sorts of things, though the bass will always remain a bit hollow.

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #671 of 751
I want the a900 pads so bad as the bass really is droning with the stock pads, maybe one day when I get more disposable income to justify 25 bucks on earpads :p

Though these are remarkable drivers, you can EQ them to do all sorts of things, though the bass will always remain a bit hollow.

I'm surprised by your comment, as I always thought the A900x's bass was slightly on the lean side. Well-balanced, certainly. Are you using an EQ to boost the lows?

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #672 of 751
I think the A900X's bass is on the lean side if you compare it to my Z7 ... but it's actually a lot more than my old shure 940. I've always described the A900X as a shure 940 with bass.
For me I don't find it lack bass by itself .. I do prefer slightly more and that's why the bass boost on the C5D is so good for it.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #675 of 751
It has a large droning 128hz hump but yes it has an annoying sub-bass rolloff. Though overall it is a very warm and laid back headphone with some treble sparkle to bring it to life.

Without EQ, its pretty good for all genre's, given that the song doesn't emphasize 9-10kHz, otherwise prepare for some ear bleed. With Accudio-like EQ, it feels like a veil has been removed from your ears, practically a must for lower treble reliant genre's such as modern rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back