Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Jun 8, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #647 of 751
  Ouch. If I was to EQ these things (and destroy their unique personality, but that's a personal thing whether you want that or not), I would definitely back off near 6k due to the noticeable ringing around that frequency. Time domain related sound artifacts are just as important as the frequency response itself.

Weird I don't hear any ringing, though I wasn't looking for it either. Generally the EQ setup reduces sibilance in these headphones, as it is often caused by the large peaks in the 8-10kHz range. I got a DAC/AMP to drive these, and this is for future buyers of these headphones, they may be able to be driven by mp3 player, I don't know, but out of my laptop they sounded terrible. With an amp, they have much better clarity and the bass texture even without EQ

Yes stock sound can handle most songs decently, though you're screwed if there's 10kHz sibilance. I can't listen to them without EQ however, its just amazing how much more these drivers are capable of. Remember to preamp -5dB to ward off distortion.

Apparently w1000, or a900/700 imitation pads for cheaper, makes the bass less boomy. Does anyone have them and know if they worth the 20-50 buck investment?

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #648 of 751
Hi everyone.... new here.

I own the ATH-900X mainly for gaming as I was really keen on the wide sound stage and balanced sound with not too heavy bass. 

I need to replace my ear pads and I was wondering if it's possible to replace them with these: http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=773

If it's possible, can someone instruct me if it requires some modification of any sort, or will it be an easy installation?

Thanks,

Gil.

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #649 of 751
I don't know about the w1000 pads, but the A1000 ones make a big difference. The sound is cleaner, and the fit is much more comfortable.

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #650 of 751
IMO, the stock pads are rubbish!

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #651 of 751
Hi all,
  I tried to post something that had an external link but it wasn't posted.
  I need to replace my ear pads and I read somewhere that the hifiman Velour Pads are very good and even better than the stock.
  My question is, can they fit the 900x and if they do, then does it require any sort of modification or will they just snug in?

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #652 of 751
Hey, i used this for 900x, fit perfect. I can't remember why i haven't used HifiMan velours, though i owned them, they do not fit perfectly for sure and some effort is needed to put them on.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #653 of 751
Hi all,
  I tried to post something that had an external link but it wasn't posted.

I need to replace my ear pads and I read somewhere that the hifiman Velour Pads are very good and even better than the stock.

My question is, can they fit the 900x and if they do, then does it require any sort of modification or will they just snug in?

They're not better than stock, unless you prefer for the cans to have less bass and detail, along with a brighter presentation. I tried a set on my A900x, IME, they're not very difficult to fit. I'd still urge you to stick with the stock pads. Good luck.

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #654 of 751

They're not better than stock, unless you prefer for the cans to have less bass and detail, along with a brighter presentation. I tried a set on my A900x, IME, they're not very difficult to fit. I'd still urge you to stick with the stock pads. Good luck.

Thanks, though I'm not sure my ears are trained enough to notice the difference in sound quality when it comes to replacing ear pads.
I was looking for something more durable than pleather because mine got a tear in them

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #655 of 751

According to either this thread starter or the other one, the A900 pads are supposed to improve sound quality, taming the droning bass. They are the higher quality pleather pads with wrinkles in them.

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #656 of 751
What are the differences between the open and closed variants? I'm looking for a open back headphone (i made a post but im still looking and asking around) and im torn between the HD 558/598, fidelio x2 (Its a bit out of my budget right now so I'll stay on the low 200$ for now) and id like to know how the a900x compares, any thoughts? :)

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #657 of 751
Hi guys,

According to you how many hour need i to burn in this headphone to get The best possible sound with the ATH A 900 X

Thank you i hope an answer from you guys, excuse me my english si pretty bad.

So i hope see you soon.

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #659 of 751
Burning in not a myth, most headphones do change sound quite a bit during this proces. Yet, as I bought my A900x used, and since  previous owner used them very little and I`ve put about 150 hours on them I didn`t notice much soundchange, not as much as with Grados. These are very efficient, and they have the ATH house brand sound signature to them, maybe that`s it.

But sound gets more lush when amped. Using a cheap dac/amp combo might be a good idea the make them correspond more  with your expectations, they do react really well to amplification. Iv`e used these for a while with Schiit Lyr, which is a bit an overkill in terms of power, but the lower spectrum improved a lot.

If You, on the other hand find the bass a bit strange, which it is, different pads do change the sound signature. As stated earlier in this thread non leather/pleather pads make the sound thinner and less boomy.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #660 of 751
I have no clue what genre the "signature ATH" sound will sound good on, ugh it reminds me of the sound signature on cheap mass market headphones, maybe that's why I am biased against them. The coloring also makes a lot of different music feel like they have the same timbre as well... They are very forgiving to low bitrate music, maybe that's their intention. On high bitrate music, electric guitars are muted and violins/pianos sound mushy, I just can't listen to them without EQ simulating goldenears' Accudio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back