Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Aug 30, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #691 of 751
  I know, but most of the pads that were recommended to me change the sound of the M50's, lessening bass in particular. While many have bashed the M50's for excessive bass, I really want no less bass at all. Buying new pads online is risky because if I dislike the new sound then I have to return them and lose a little money and maybe send the M50's back anyway.

Do you know a physical store where I can buy new pads?

Audio Technica doesn't really have any accessory parts lying around retail stores. Unfortunately you'll have to buy them online.

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #692 of 751
How do these compare to Shure SRH1540 ?, the're in different price brackets though.

Also is channel imbalance pretty common among pairs ?

And... can these be found brand new somewhere ?(especially in Austrelia)

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #693 of 751
How do these compare to Shure SRH1540 ?, the're in different price brackets though.

Also is channel imbalance pretty common among pairs ?

And... can these be found brand new somewhere ?(especially in Austrelia)

I found the A900X to be much clearer then the 1540 .. vocals especially is excellent where as I found the 1540 too V shaped and the vocals just got lost in the muddy bass. I ended up with a sony Z7 instead and the A900X is an excellent compliment to it. Both excellent at vocals, Z7 tilts towards the lower end where as the A900X tilts towards the mid/higher end without being sibilant at all. Both are very smooth and I enjoy both. 

I'm in Australia and found that DWI sells them the cheapest .. at the moment it's A$189. I got mine a while ago while the A$ was much higher and were only $160. Definitely worth the money and I think it's better than most $300 headphones I've tried .. and I've tried many.

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #697 of 751

It's a tight fit but it does fit and it won't move at all. After having the sony Z7, the pads on those are just the most comfortable pads imaginable .. so when I put the A900X, they just feel so not lush. I knew the 1540 pads were very comfortable after trying them many times in shops .. and someone on this thread also has them on so I know it does fit. So when I saw the pads on the for sale section, I had to grab them as stupid Shure in Australia sells them for $95!! that's crazy. 

They've given new life to my A900X .. really comfortable for me and they just feel like new HPs. The original pads just didn't seem to seal completely around but these do.

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #698 of 751
joey99 thanks for the reply. A900X 190$ + Alcantera pads 95$ = 285$ !! Sounds like a great deal IMO :atsmile:

Are they brand new or refurbished ?
Also, how bad is the channel imbalance issue ? Is it quite common ?

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #699 of 751
@joey99 thanks for the reply. A900X 190$ + Alcantera pads 95$ = 285$ !! Sounds like a great deal IMO
atsmile.gif

Can you please elaborate "DWI". Also are they brand new or refurbished ?

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Closed-Back-HiFi-Headphones.aspx
brand new ... it is the same price on their ebay store as well .. both with free shipping. 
I'm sure you can find the 1540 pads elsewhere for much less... but the original pads are really not that bad .. you should try them first. It's only when I compare them with my Z7 pads.

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #700 of 751
http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Closed-Back-HiFi-Headphones.aspx
brand new ... it is the same price on their ebay store as well .. both with free shipping. 
I'm sure you can find the 1540 pads elsewhere for much less... but the original pads are really not that bad .. you should try them first. It's only when I compare them with my Z7 pads.

That sounds great ! I thought only referbs are available, as they were discontinued...

Unfortunately, I can't try them out. :frowning2: I was considering the pads because I sweat a lot.

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #702 of 751
Man...seriously? O_o they seem to have W1000Z for 599 AUD ! :basshead:

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Audio-Technica-ATH-W1000Z-Maestoso-Dynamic-Hi-Res-Headphone.aspx

I can definitely raise my budget if it's sonically superior, I mean, I was already going to buy the Shures...

OK, I raise my bar :p How is W1000Z compared to A900X ? :3

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #703 of 751
Man...seriously? O_o they seem to have W1000Z for 599 AUD !
basshead.gif

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Audio-Technica-ATH-W1000Z-Maestoso-Dynamic-Hi-Res-Headphone.aspx

I can definitely raise my budget if it's sonically superior, I mean, I was already going to buy the Shures...

OK, I raise my bar
tongue.gif
How is W1000Z compared to A900X ? :3

I also tried the W1000Z a few months ago at minidisc in Sydney. 
I thought they were gorgeous ... amazing smoothness. The tonal qualities were very similar to the A900X but just more refined overall. Is it worth 3 times the price? I think you should try them first.
Actually out of all the hps I tried there including oppo 2 and 3, fostex th900, etc, etc ... the W1000Z stood out for me and was the only pair I asked for the price. If I didn't have the A900X .. the W1000Z would be on the list .. but it was just too similar to the A900X. You really should try both and see if you can pick the difference and if it's worth 3 times the price.

BTW, I listen mostly to anything with great female vocals ... I especially like live acoustic performances where vocals stand out and sound realistic. Both A900X and Z7 does a great job of doing it.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #704 of 751
Seems our tastes are different. I don't listen to live recoardings or solely vocals but I do like vocals. I like smooth treble & good bass presence. A lot of music I listen have synths involved. Will the ATs sound good with them ? Also, how's the soundstage ? I prefer room like presentation with music having much body.

I may be asking a lot of questions... I'm totally new actually, this will be my first purchase, I still have some time though :)

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #705 of 751
It's actually very hard to recommend headphones to others as everyone has a different preference and hear things differently. Everyone's music and source is also different.
Preferences also change over time .. I used to like it very clinical, sharp and detailed .. but now I like it smooth, slightly warmer and bass you can feel. I think the A900X is definitely a great first headphone and very underrated. I does everything very well. I think synths will probably do well on it as it does have really good smooth highs that are never sibilant. For the price .. I think it's awesome.

From there you might just love it ... or maybe you find something missing ... and onwards with your headphone journey and really didn't cost an arm and a leg. I think that's the fun of it .. finding that perfect headphone for yourself. I have found them in the sony Z5 and Z7 and I haven't found anything that betters them yet. If you like big spaciousness where you look around the room seeing if your speakers are on ..  and amazing bass .. Z7 is awesome. Maybe you can look into that one too. Also the shure 1840 is a great headphone which would be my choice for a open hp. It's best to find a place to try them though before buying anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back