Audio Technica AT 705 Electrets NOS
Feb 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #16 of 24
I sent you a message. For anyone else here in case you were wondering I have a 600 dpi quality scan of the manual I just did up just message me for it and I can send it to your email address. I tried posting it in here but it gets moire patterns when viewed and saves like  you know what...very poorly.

so as far as wiring adapter box to speaker terminals it is as follows:

LEFT  
   + white    
   - blue
RIGHT
   + red
   - black

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #18 of 24
Hey team, I just picked up a pair of these Audio-Technica AT-705s at the thrift store for $1.99, but they didn't come with the XLR converter box. Is that an amp or just a hookup converter? Can I simply snag an XLR to standard headphone converter and enjoy the sound (albeit unamped)?

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #20 of 24
great deal! BUT you  need that adaptor box for sure 100 %. There are transformers in there one for each channel.
The unit for the AT-706 works as well ( one up now I think on ebay )
 Even some other electret adapter box with a similar pinout. I see these around on th'bay from time to time. Considering your minimal investment it's worth that risk to get one and hopefully your headphones are not imbalanced or anything, which is irrepairable.

Won't work on speaker taps or anything of that nature if that's what you are thinking.  These are worth the attempt at finding an adaptor.. Amazing things.

Even rewire a stax SRD-4 electret adaptor to a suitable plug should work I would think. Just 4 wires after all, since the drivers are essentially the same  give or take some damping.

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #21 of 24
yeah well bring on those lame thread resurrection comments i can take it, these deserve more attention anyhow
biggrin.gif

AT-706 en route going to be nice to try the boost on the 706's dual input adapter box. Yep still loving these things, never could stop. Like fine wine, never gets old and always classy.

Hmmm interesting ( or not )I see from the posted specs that the high and low toggle there simply drops the DB boost down from normal to lower. 36 db boost high/ 30 db boost low -----on these 706, whereas if the specs are right on the 705 they are always driven at 36 DB boost. Curious.
Only real difference seems to be an SPL of +4 on the 706, as if that's really noticable. Marketing alive and well back then even.
 I'm not complaining though.

Have a spare 706  also sitting in a drawer some older audio fella hacked a really nice TOTL gold TRS to the cable end, not sure why since they would get zilch for input even off terminals directly. Must have had some different arrangement going on. Those drivers will likely be used for the P.W.B. Black spare set restoration, since they are identical to what P.W.B. used right up to the near exact year range and very well damped in the black housings ( goosebump material ), but all that is useless info basically, might be of interest to someone, and I should stress that "one" part. Nobody 'cept me cares about P.W.B. stuff really... Maybe Jadeast...
wink_face.gif
The other restored P.W.B.Black set has a transplanted set of rare AT-707 drivers in them, nice silver foil dust/moisture guard. But before you cringe no they were already out of their shell, I didn't ruin anything rare.

All this talk of spares on rare stuff, you'd think a person was obsessed or something.
( I like talking to myself here )

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #22 of 24
For anybody's future reference the 706 adapter has quite sizable transformers compared to the 705.

Black 705 adapter  rated input @ 1.4V rms  /  max 5V rms
Brown/aluminum 706 adapter rated input @ 1.5V rms / max 10V rms

Wiring hookup is the same as 705.

May 1, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #23 of 24
  great deal! BUT you  need that adaptor box for sure 100 %. There are transformers in there one for each channel.
The unit for the AT-706 works as well ( one up now I think on ebay )
 Even some other electret adapter box with a similar pinout. I see these around on th'bay from time to time. Considering your minimal investment it's worth that risk to get one and hopefully your headphones are not imbalanced or anything, which is irrepairable.

Won't work on speaker taps or anything of that nature if that's what you are thinking.  These are worth the attempt at finding an adaptor.. Amazing things.

Even rewire a stax SRD-4 electret adaptor to a suitable plug should work I would think. Just 4 wires after all, since the drivers are essentially the same  give or take some damping.

Just saw this...5 months later. Yikes. Sorry. 
Thanks for the feedback. Trying to decide if I'm going to track down an adapter box, rig up mine own electret adapter box like you mentioned, or just hack them and put some standard gear in them. 
Love the look. Curious about the sound, but might be more trouble than I'm willing to go through. 

May 1, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #24 of 24
I will keep my eyes open and when I see an adapter unit will pm you. They do show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back