Audio Technica AD900x
Oct 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pickleweed

Head-Fier
havent seen too much about these guys, but they really took me by surprise.

So, I went into my local best buy to go test drive some AKG 550's.  and I REALLY wanted to like them.  generally they sounded pretty good.  i dont think i had any of the seal issues that were being touted.  the bass was present, and it sounded nice.  definitely had more bass than i was expecting considering the reviews.  the clamping pressure was incredibly light, which just bothered me in general.  felt very unsecure, and generally the headband supported most of the weight so they werent terribly comfortable.  but definitely more comfortable than my shure 840's.  So i was reasonably unconvinced........then i glance to my right.

i give the 900x a shot.  didnt expect much, but what the hell, im here.  WOW.  i think i found my new cans.  they fit my head like a glove.  the clamping pressure was perfect, and i really appreciated the wing design.  i dont really like a band pressing against my scalp.  i didnt feel them slipping down like i had read about.  i didnt find the pads uncomfortable in the least, and in my time there, left my ears far less sweaty than the 550's.  then the sound......BASS.  substantial bass!  i dont consider myself a basshead, but i can appreciate it for sure.  i didnt find the 550's lacking per se, but there was an authority and quantity in the 900's.  the mids seemed to be pushed back a little more than i would've preferred, but only slightly.  the highs were crystal, and overall the sound seemed fuller than the 550's.  while the 550's seemed to have a wider soundstage, the 900's were very close in distance, but had a more in your face presentation, if that makes any sense.  and i seem to prefer that.  it makes listening more fun, so to speak.  I was hearing details i had never heard in my 840's, but to be fair, the 550's were as well.  if there was one thing that i wasnt wowed with, it was how they handled my more aggressive music.  i think it was the mids being pushed back so slightly, but things like coheed and cambria didnt succeed in the same way pink floyd, or acoustic guitars did.  wasnt bad by any stretch, but not near as magical as the other stuff.

i was only there for a little over an hour, but boy oh boy did these guys win me over.

and to add insult to injury, it was cheaper than the 550's!  WIN!

here's some stuff i listened to while there, to give you an idea of what i tested

pain of salvation 
coheed and cambria
the decemberists
lifehouse
fun.
pink floyd
taylor swift
jurassic 5
muse
arcade fire

i wish i had more variety, but my phone wasnt loaded as well as i wouldve liked.

anyone else have experience with these cans?  i dont see much about them.  i cant even find the graph's for the x version.  whats the deal?

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
anyone else have experience with these cans?  i dont see much about them.  i cant even find the graph's for the x version.  whats the deal?

Heya,

The A900X is a fantastic headphone. I found it to basically do what the Shure SRH940 does, but without the anemic mid-bass hole. The A900X actually has incredible bass, the mid bass is a little knocked up in the "X" versions I find, and it has really good sub-bass, none of which harms the mids. So vocals and instruments sound very realistic, warm and forward on the A900X, while still allowing pulsing sub-bass, and very good treble that doesn't spike you into fatigue. Reminded me of a smoother Denon sound basically with slightly better mids, and slightly less sub-bass ability, and less comfort. But the A900X for $180~200 is a fantastic headphone. It's sound stage is good too, for a closed headphone. My only real grip was the head band and pads, as I'm not a fan of the wings, I like more solid construction; and the pads were firm, and not very deep, I like much more plush pads and deeper cups (like velour and simply deeper cups). Overall though it's a headphone that I recommend on the regular to most people as it literally covers all genres as any real competent headphone should. It's my favorite AudioTechnica before going high-end, because I like the slightly leaning towards the bass curve that it has. All the mids & treble of the typical Air series by AudioTechnica, but with wonderful bass--quite different from the popular AudioTechnica choices that don't have a 50 in the name.

Short & Sweet:

Weight: light side of normal
Isolation: good
Cable: pliable, sheathed with black mesh, terminates to 3.5mm and 1/4th screw on adapter
Construction: typical plastic, minimal moving parts, some kind of metal back on the cups, all black, kind of flimsy feeling
Efficiency: very efficient, will drive from any device, no magical amplifier needed
Cup depth: average, not that deep, may touch some ears
Pads: firm foam, not plush, not angled, not form fitted (probably would benefit from a 3rd party pad swap, Denon pads?)
Sound stage: good, for a closed phone, doesn't sound stereo, but doesn't sound like a cloud either (front row to second row)
Treble: natural, engaging, not overly bright, no sibilance, crisp and tight
Mids: front and center, not recessed at all, natural voice, excellent tone, no grain, no bleed in from bass, exquisite vocals
Mid-bass: slightly emphasized, the "X" series have a touch of bass tuned in. Adds to the body, warmth, richness of the sound, doesn't bleed
Sub-bass: solid, flows deep, lands hard, good texture, decent impact
Genres: good for everything, from classical to dub. Yes, dub.
Value: excellent, it gets high marks from me, and I usually hate on AudioTechnica

Very best,

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 8
I've got an older pair of A900's that I've used on my PC for gaming since Call of Duty days and now onto Battlefield 3.

They are superb for gaming however recently all the coating on the pads has started to crack and flake off.

Rather than buy a new set I presume it's not a difficult job to replace the pads is it?

Thanks!

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
I've got an older pair of A900's that I've used on my PC for gaming since Call of Duty days and now onto Battlefield 3.
They are superb for gaming however recently all the coating on the pads has started to crack and flake off.
Rather than buy a new set I presume it's not a difficult job to replace the pads is it?
Thanks!

Replacing pads is very doable. It kinda stinks that the pads are kind of pricey though: http://www.audiocubes2.com/product_info.php/cPath/27/products_id/127

I still really miss my A500, I liked the A700, and really like the A900X (all as all arounders, but not excelling in any particular thing). I wonder why they aren't recommended as much. They're $220ish on Amazon, which is a fantastic price.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 8
I think the OP is talking about the AD Air series of headphones, rather than the A Art series which are closed back. 

I'm particularly interested in the AD900x, and would be most interested in a frequency response graph. If it's a touch flatter with a little more deep bass, it would be killer. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I think the OP is talking about the AD Air series of headphones, rather than the A Art series which are closed back. 

I'm particularly interested in the AD900x, and would be most interested in a frequency response graph. If it's a touch flatter with a little more deep bass, it would be killer. 

The OP referred to trying them at Best Buy two months ago, so I just assumed it was the A900X because the AD900X hadn't even been released at that point in time.

May 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 8
does anyone know where i can test out a pair of AD900x in the greater Los Angeles area? i am interested in giving it a shot if it does indeed have a better bass and smoother curve compare to the AD900. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back