Audio Technica AD2000 Amping?
Dec 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jibz

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm interested to know how all you owners felt about these headphones with regard to sound quality and whether you felt it wasn't quite right in any area until you found the proper amp for it or whether it was perfect straight out of the box!

I'm currently using mine with a Audinst HUD-MX1 DAC/Amp combo and am considering buying a seperate amp to pair up with the DAC portion of the MX-1.

With regard to how I feel about sound quality; I love the speed and detail of this can and the treble and the midrange is good for me as well (though not quite as warm as the A900LTD I have, some middle ground here would be nice). I find the bass incredibly detailed and textured but that there is a certain amount of impact lacking which, for me at least, means I'm not completely satisfied with it.

Were any of you AD2000 (or even AD1000(PRM) owners for that matter) owners in the same position as me and did you find a way to bring out a bit more bass impact whilst maintaining the fantastic highs of this headphone?

Cheers!

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 19
There is nothing at any pricepoint that remotely compares to the ZD? Surely something can emulate the sound signature of that amp!

One would think the ZD colours the sound to a certain degree if nothing sounds similar, no?

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
There is nothing at any pricepoint that remotely compares to the ZD? Surely something can emulate the sound signature of that amp!

One would think the ZD colours the sound to a certain degree if nothing sounds similar, no?

No, there isn't save for one rarity.

The Eddie Current DM2 is a little bit similar, but there were only three prototypes built (IIRC) and they never went into production.  Also the 6C41C isn't quite the same as the 6C33C - a shade softer and a little more musical from my recollection of listening to Zippy's DM2.

Not to get too geeky, but the Zana Deux is a very unusual OTL.  Most tubes have a high output impedance, so when you build an OTL with them, they won't drive low impedance headphones.  If you use output transformers to drive low impedance headphones, then you get the sound signature of the output transformers.

The 6C33C has a low output impedance without transformers, so the ZD will drive the low impedance headphones well.  Further, that means an OTL with a high damping factor (and loads of authority) for high impedance headphones.

There are a number of small things that contribute to the sound, like a highly filtered power supply (four chokes) and the way the circuit gets the signal out of the tube is unusual.  It takes the output off the plate, which is a more musical solution, but you will find precious few amps that do this.

There is nothing else remotely like it on the market.  The Zana is probably the most radical and unconventional tube design commercially available.

I wouldn't call the sound colored.  Solid state has a crispness/harshness up high many don't like, but solid state drives the low end with authority.  Tubes don't always get the low end right - often a bit polite and sometimes mushy.  If you're running output transformers, you get some coloration from those in the low end.  OTLs (save for the Zana) have a high output impedance and a low damping factor, so they don't have a firm grip on the low end.

Now, the Zana doesn't have harshness up high - it offers you everything good about tubes.  Highs are smooth, not harsh, and there might be a tiny drop of warmth, though I might be imagining it.  The Zana measures awfully flat.  Then, because of the low output impedance and OTL nature, the Zana has excellent control over the low end, just like solid state.  You get the best of both worlds and, like I said, there's nothing else quite like it.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 19
I found that the AD2000 pairs surprisingly well with my budget Harmon Kardon HK6250- see my review. I don't think you'll get the bass impact you're looking for with that combo though.

My heavily modded McIntosh 1500 (a 1965 transistor preamp/tube voltage and power amp receiver) is a a level above with these headphones, with a fuller sound than the HK6250. Dad's nearly stock Fisher X100B (100% tube) also handles the ATH-AD2000 well. It slots between the HK6250 and MAC 1500 but a bit closer to the Harmon Kardon.

My Meier Audio Headfive only offers a small improvement with these cans. This is a smaller opamp based amplifier.

It would seem to me, based on the above and admittedly limited data, that the ATH-AD2000 pairs best with amplifiers capable of supplying a great deal of current. I would look for a quality vacuum tube amplifier to pair with them. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with anything but the above so I can't provide recommendations.

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 19
The best low-cost amps I've heard with the AD2K are the Dynalo and M3. I'd give the edge to the Dynalo in terms of sound, it's a near-perfect partner sonically as it enhances the AD2K's impulse response (I've heard lots of amps slow down the AD2K's impulse response) while delivering properly deep & blindingly fast bass. In fact, IMO no one has heard the AD2K until they've heard it on a Dynalo!

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 19
Well it seems I will have to be buying a dynalo in the future!

Quote:
The best low-cost amps I've heard with the AD2K are the Dynalo and M3. I'd give the edge to the Dynalo in terms of sound, it's a near-perfect partner sonically as it enhances the AD2K's impulse response (I've heard lots of amps slow down the AD2K's impulse response) while delivering properly deep & blindingly fast bass. In fact, IMO no one has heard the AD2K until they've heard it on a Dynalo!

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 19
Thanks for the thorough, in depth response, Uncle Erik!

Definitely makes the ZD look like something I'd like to own in future though right now I have too many other commitments to be spending that much...

I'll try out the AD2000s on various amps at an upcoming meet and see how they affect the SQ.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 19
I love the AD2000s with my GLite (Dynalo). They really seem like they mate well. Granted I haven't heard it with many different amps but short of a Zana rig or the upcoming X2 I don't feel the need to upgrade. I would love to hear the Zana someday though FWIR it's a legendary combination. These are one of the only cans that are going to survive the LCD-2.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 19
I should never have opened this thread. I now have the sudden and strong urge to acquire a Dynalo.

Thanks guys. 
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 19
I should have never read this thread either! Makes me so impatient and I can hardly wait to get my AD2000 in the mail! Ordered one yesterday.
Sounds like something I'd like and I always wanted to give Audio Technica another chance.

Hoping it sounds decent with my Asgard. If not, please don't tell me! I've found it's enough for driving most everything I've tried, even the K601.

If it's better than the K702 to my ears, then i'll definitely be impressed. Never paid over $325 for a headphone before...

(please no K702 bashing
normal_smile%20.gif
I like them! I now prefer them over my K601)

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
I should never have opened this thread. I now have the sudden and strong urge to acquire a Dynalo.

Thanks guys. 
tongue.gif

Too late. I am now the owner of a Sheer Audio HA-006+ Plus Edition with some slight case damage. It was impossible for me to pass up at $200 shipped and I have some Christmas money that I was told to buy something fun with. While both quite excellent I've never felt that the MAC 1500 or HK6250 were perfect matches for the ATH-AD2000. If the MAC 1500 proves to be better than my new Dynalo I can always sell it.

I could easily DIY a Dynalo... well, the boards. The casework is another story. I decided it would be worth a few more dollars to get something with a proper fit and finish. 

Edit: Already working out the upgrades. I think I'll change the gain from 11x to 3x, install the same Gigawork 21 step attenuator that appears to be used on the HA-006++ Special Edition, and replace the knockoff with a Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG 1/4" jack. Just waiting for a response from the manufacturer on component values at this point.

Edit 2: After looking at the original Dynalo schematic, I'm also going to put two 330uF caps in the space occupied by the two small red caps and move the displaced parts underneath the board as a bypass. Something similar appears to have been done on the Special Edition. (Original [plus has toroid]/Special)

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 19
I've actually had an Ad2000 and a Zana Deux in the same room at one point and I never even thought to test the pairing. 

I already thought that the Ad2000 sounded a lot like an HD800, I wonder what it would sound like out of a Zana. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #15 of 19
Just a shout out to David of Acoustic-Fun, the maker of the Sheer Audio HA-006+. He was very quick to respond to my questions and did so in detail. It looks like he supports his products 100%.

I obviously have yet to take delivery of my new amp but if you are considering a Dynalo the HA-006+ seems to be a solid choice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back