Audio Technica AD-Series: AD300, AD700, AD900, AD1000PRM, AD2000
Jun 7, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #16 of 46
Oh, and did anyone have their affected AT headphones recabled? I'm thinking of going down for mine soon.

Full story here!

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #17 of 46
My AD1000PRM have been recabled, yes. Not that I can hear any difference from it or it is going to impact much, but Audio Technica recabled it with a new 4 core and sent it back done with the old cable with it as well. That is something I don't mind them doing. :wink:

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #18 of 46

Quote:
Oh, and did anyone have their affected AT headphones recabled? I'm thinking of going down for mine soon.

Full story here!

Actually the full story is at jap website.. mine already has the number so not affected

.....just noticed you're going to keep ad2000 and sell your stax? wow..

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #21 of 46

Nope, more like not that many have heard it. They are pretty hard to get hold of outside area near Japan, this more of a US and Europe forum. It is pretty hard to find ATs to listen to in UK for example.

AT UK, only carries the AD line up to AD1000 and the W line. They haven't imported any of the A1000X/A2000X nor any of the limited editions they have came up with.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #24 of 46
No way in heck am I going to believe a $2,000 amp is going to move the current any better than a $300 amp. An amps only purpose is to amplify the signal so the headphones have enough power for the drivers. It should not effect the sound in any way unless the headphone is lacking power to properly drive the drivers.

A lot of claims around these boards are horribly unfounded and mostly the result of placebo and psychosomatics, not only that many of them are horribly exaggerated. I've seen hardly any scientific evidence any of these proclaimed phenomenas occur other than, "Man they definitely change the sound EXTREMELY."

Edit: I mean other than tube amps, which the tubes add distortion, which is funny an audiophile would pay $2,000 for their frequencies to be rolled off and etc.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #25 of 46

Quote:
No way in heck am I going to believe a $2,000 amp is going to move the current any better than a $300 amp. An amps only purpose is to amplify the signal so the headphones have enough power for the drivers. It should not effect the sound in any way unless the headphone is lacking power to properly drive the drivers.

How do you know when enough is enough ha? and i;m not talking about SPL here, obviously ther's morre to amplification than that as you yourseld just wrote. Maybe an 2000$ amplifier can distribute that power (e.g current) BETTER than a 300$ one. cleaner, more linear, less distorted etc. Though i gotta say i have my doubt that the Zana which is OTL based (swings more voltage than current) is very suited for the AD2000.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #26 of 46
Well, pretty much many people do like the added distortion from the tubes which adds the sense of warmth on the music. The thing is, we should be looking for the sound we enjoy not the sound it meant to sound like, which is what colouration all about. Getting something that you don't enjoy but perfectly flat might not be a good idea after all.

There is far more to amplifier than just current and voltage, stereo crosstalk, output in response to impedance (some headphone have greatly different impedance depending on the frequency), transient response, frequency responsive, THD, SNR all have an effect on how an amp will sound with a pair of headphones.

That being said so, I am not a fan of tube amps at all and I am rather happy with the solid state gears I currently have.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #27 of 46
That's fair, and that's fine if someone wants coloration from EQ/Amp/etc, but wouldn't that someone be better off just finding headphones that are made to sound the way they want rather than spend time and money modifying their headphones? When I do get my Ad2000 I am sure I'll be completely blown away with a $200-$300 amp.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #28 of 46
There many times that such things never existed, the distortion from a tube amp is not something that you can replicate with a headphone switch. Also, some amp are just plain better than others. I am not saying you cannot have good things at a low price level, but highly precise electronics is not that cheap. The cost will also go up with the low economy of scale, as it become a niche product. Heck, if everyone drives a main battle tank, I am pretty sure the cost of those things will fall right down. I haven't heard anything better than a HA5000 or a P1u with my Audio Technicas, not something more expensive nor something cheaper.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #29 of 46
Tweaking the exact sound via colored gear will always give you more permutations of final sound to choose between than from just picking among 'phones and sticking to transparent sources and amps.

That said, most of those variations are pretty minor, they usually cost tons of money, and they usually aren't very convenient.  I've tried tube gear.  I liked the sound when I first heard it, but since then I've discovered that I really only like it with some genres and since switching amps with random play isn't really practical I don't use either of my tube amps much anymore.

If someone likes it then good for them.  I've got no beef.  I only get angry when somebody tells noobs that they need to spend tons of money on amps or sources or not bother with good headphones at all.

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #30 of 46
There is often things that value doesn't directly correlate with quality, a cheap pair of headphones can give a surprisingly good sound if you know which one to go for. At this moment of time, I think I have heard everything out there save the new STAX and very happy with my current setup. It is not perfect, but it have the compromise that I am willing to make and all the things that I wanted. The "perfect" sound is just a personal preference that everyone is not going to agree with the same standard. Best way to confirm is to be there yourself and hear it with your own ears, reviews can only gives so much information, it is impossible for a pair of headphones can be described perfectly with pure text and diagrams.

Crap, going off topic here... Maybe I should pick up a pair of AD2000 along side my AD1000PRM just for completeness's sake. D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back