Audio receiver to use as dac for my headphone amp
Jun 21, 2017 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Senn Life

New Head-Fier
Hi guys n gals! I play music from my computer (the built in DAC makes noise) and would like to somehow run sound through my speakers receiver (for the DAC) and then to my headphone amp. I have no idea if this is possible or what receiver i would need to buy to make this possible. Btw my headphone amp is a bottlehead Crack.

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 8
You would need a computer with optical out,and a receiver with optical in.

Why not just get a stand alone DAC? This is my set-up,granted one doesnt need 125wpc for near field listening,but I also use it to drive my HE-6.

The small device on top is a Chord Mojo,which I use as a desktop DAC,and amp for low impedance HPs.
18403833_10155614377900288_4198089724648383269_o.jpg

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 8
I was thinking of buying the modi multibit, but I'm going to upgrade my receiver soon anyway and figured that if I spend a grand or so on my receiver the DAC in it will be good enough to use. My computer does has optical out. I remember using digital will bypass my internal dac and use the receivers but was curious how I'd hook the Crack up to the same channel

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Hi guys n gals! I play music from my computer (the built in DAC makes noise) and would like to somehow run sound through my speakers receiver (for the DAC) and then to my headphone amp. I have no idea if this is possible or what receiver i would need to buy to make this possible. Btw my headphone amp is a bottlehead Crack.
I would say to get the DAC (Schiit or other) for connecting between the computer and Crack amp.
Run optical from the computer to the receiver.

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 8
I was thinking of buying the modi multibit, but I'm going to upgrade my receiver soon anyway and figured that if I spend a grand or so on my receiver the DAC in it will be good enough to use. My computer does has optical out. I remember using digital will bypass my internal dac and use the receivers but was curious how I'd hook the Crack up to the same channel
A $25 sound card, like the Asus Xonar DG, comes with an optical port.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 8
I know giving my receiver a digital imput will use it's internal DAC, but how can I use the external headphone amp instead of my speakers? Most receivers have their own headphone amp inside, but I'm not interested in using that. I'm just trying to steal the dac inside

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 8
I know giving my receiver a digital imput will use it's internal DAC, but how can I use the external headphone amp instead of my speakers? Most receivers have their own headphone amp inside, but I'm not interested in using that. I'm just trying to steal the dac inside
It would need to have a 'Line Out'...RCA in/out most likely.Not sure how prevalent line-out are on receivers.
Alternately if your receiver has a 'tape-out' you can most likely use that as well.Do not attempt to use 'phono out' though,usually doesnt end well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back