AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Apr 7, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #3,676 of 3,694
There are AES to SPDIF converters and some are relatively inexpensive.
They won't be an 'ideal' solution, but would be functional…

JJ

Apr 9, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #3,677 of 3,694
@gefski , which unit are you using? Attero Tech? Are you capped at 24/96 or is it capable of outputting 24/192?

------

[/QUOTE]
There are AES to SPDIF converters and some are relatively inexpensive.
They won't be an 'ideal' solution, but would be functional…

JJ
I wonder if using a converter degrades the signal/timing.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #3,678 of 3,694
@gefski , which unit are you using? Attero Tech? Are you capped at 24/96 or is it capable of outputting 24/192?

------

[/QUOTE]
I bet you could find a used Big Ben that will convert and maybe help with timing. It did for me, though I am not converting. Just AES to AES, but it will convert to spdif from AES.

Apr 9, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #3,679 of 3,694

------

[/QUOTE]

The Atterotech unDAES-O. It is 4 channels, up to 24/96. I’m, of course, using 2 channels, and all my files are 44.1, whether ripped or Tidal. It outputs AES (or will daisy chain Ethernet, including PoE power).

Apr 9, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #3,680 of 3,694
Yeah they might, but as a temp(?) work around it should at least provide functionality.
And the Jggy will re-clock the signal anyway so there is that.

JJ

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #3,682 of 3,694
I agree that 24/96 is more than enough and if the dac is the JggyB the lower the better (up to a point).
I myself use 88.2 (dbl the CD Sample Rate) because AES feeds are less 'sloppy' (thanks to atomic bob who showed me some of his analysis), as my one and only SR to feed my AOIP and on into the JggyB.

And I do agree that the entire chain is involved as well.

But Schiit's Gen-5 implementation closed the gap on my AOIP feed, and their Unison USB (which just has to be a MAJOR step up) I'm sure closed it even further.
Perhaps I'll spend the $$$ for a board to find out, but I CAN think of plenty of other places to throw $150 at…
Still it would be interesting to determine what the differences are between a well tweaked AOIP feed vs the Unison USB.

JJ

May 15, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #3,684 of 3,694
I have an audinate AES box that I use to feed AES to the Big Ben and then AES to my dac. Would it sound better if I bought a box like the RME Dante which would allow a word clock connection to the Big Ben??

Jun 8, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #3,685 of 3,694
Jun 8, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #3,686 of 3,694
Anyone running a poor man's AOIP setup?
Will the below work?

- Dante Virtual Soundcard
- Audinate Avio AES adapter
https://m.markertek.com/product/adn...2x2-adapter-with-rj45-and-xlr-male-and-female
- Canare AES to SPDIF transformer
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/406162-REG/Canare_BCJ_XJ_TRB_BCJ_XJ_TRB_110_Ohm_to.html
- SPDIF input on DAC?

Thanks
yes kinda is the answer. I run AES into the dac so I don't need the Canare converter. Technically I am running AES into the Big Ben first then AES out to the dac and if needed it will act as a spdif converter for me too.

Made a lot of changes but the system is sounding the best it ever has. So I would say go for it. Where else are you going to get that kind of performance and flexibility for that price. And if you can try to get a used big Ben instead of the Canare adaptor or step up eventually.

IME the dante stuff is not end game at least the $500 or less items but its better than the usb options. Said another way, its highly doubtful you can get the same quality digital output for the money going with usb solutions.

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #3,687 of 3,694
In my setup I'm running the Antelope LIVE Clock word clock.
And if I were to get a REAL wild-hair (and NEED to spend another 1K$+) I'd opt for a master clock to drive the LIVE word clock, which in turn feeds the 2 Mutec MC3's and the RedNet 3.

This word clock addition to the system was a slight improvement in overall SQ, enough so I kept the LIVE clock, but not as much as replacing the SMPS's in all 5 devices in the AOIP chain.

It does mean that changing the sample rate adds yet another step in the process.
Fortunately, I use the sample rate converter in JRiver so that all files output at 88.2KB/s, which precludes needing to fuss with the different sample rates of all the files in my library.

JJ
Is there a reason why doing 88.2kb/s is better than other bitrates?

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #3,688 of 3,694
There are 2 factors.
1- the 44.1KHz waveform shapes I have seen, while still meeting the 'spec', are 'unkempt', where as the 88.2KHz (and above) is much closer to the 'proper' waveform.
2-its double the 44.1 Sample Rate, since CD's make up the vast majority of all of my music library. So this conversion doesn't mean jumping the 44.1KHz to 48KHz conversion complication.

Sonically there doesn't seem to be any discernible difference after the conversion to 88.2KHz no matter what the original sample rate of the track is, which would make it a no-go if there were.

So it's not a matter of a SQ increase, but more a matter of my OCD kicking in and this is the 'clean' way of dealing with it.

JJ

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #3,689 of 3,694
There is nowadays another alternative to USB that has really been gaining traction - Pi2AES. Like Dante/AES, it appears to compare favorably to USB, even “repaired USB”. Lots of info on it over at a site that dare not be mentioned here by name. I haven’t used it and have no plans to, but believe it sidesteps one irritation of Dante - lack of automatic sample rate switching.

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #3,690 of 3,694
There is nowadays another alternative to USB that has really been gaining traction - Pi2AES. Like Dante/AES, it appears to compare favorably to USB, even “repaired USB”. Lots of info on it over at a site that dare not be mentioned here by name. I haven’t used it and have no plans to, but believe it sidesteps one irritation of Dante - lack of automatic sample rate switching.
Curious, what is the proper way to change the sample rate in Dante Controller/Virtual Sound Card?

I assume you have to go into each device in Dante Controller, go to "Device Config" and then set the number? It's interesting that when I do set the number in Dante Controller for the Virtual Sound Card device it immediately grays it out to not be clicked on and says "This device does not support sample rate configuration".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back