AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Sep 9, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #3,541 of 3,694
I experimented a bit more today. I upgraded DVS to version 4 and got a Windows Audio option WDM. Sounds great but would only do 24/44 or 32/44. Nothing higher. It did sound good. It took 24/192 and down sampled it to 24/44. So my search continues.

I think that my eventual plan will be to use Qobuz which according to the latest PR releases will come with Roon integration at launch. I guess the question is if Roon will work with DVS. I really like Qobuz and with Roon I can drop JRMC and still be able to play my local files.

Sep 9, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #3,542 of 3,694
I experimented a bit more today. I upgraded DVS to version 4 and got a Windows Audio option WDM. Sounds great but would only do 24/44 or 32/44. Nothing higher. It did sound good. It took 24/192 and down sampled it to 24/44. So my search continues.

Hmm. I actually got the same problem as you. I thought that limitation is because of foobar. Personally I prefer the sound using wdm compare to asio.

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #3,543 of 3,694
I got Roon working with DVS. I think that is more of my learning my way around Roon than a technical issue. I am running Roon Server on Windows Server 2012R2 with the Windows Essentials Media pack installed and my music stored locally on an SSD. I am using the most current versions of RedNet Control and DVS and have sample rate following enabled. DVS using ASIO sends audio to my Rednet D16 which supports 24/192. The path shows as lossless and ASIO is exclusive by default.

The “fix” was that I decided to add Roon Bridge to my headphone rig which has it’s own PC audio server but uses a USB output. In the process I found the audio settings on my iPad and realized that "Dante Virtual Soundcard(x64) was indeed showing up there. Once chosen, and a couple of choices made, it just worked. I can also now play to my headphone rig using the files on my other server so I may disconnect the SSD on the HP system once I compare audio streamed vs local. Sound quality is equal to JRMC or slightly better.

Now if Qobuz will release their US version which they said will be capable of Roon integration then I will be set!

Sep 27, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #3,544 of 3,694
If you've lost your D16 from Rednet Controller, try unplugging your LAN cable from the D16. Use a single cable, and plug one end into the Primary and other end into the Secondary ports of the D16. Once the lights begin flashing, unplug both ends and put you original LAN cable back into the Primary port. This should bring the connection back. I think Miska might be right. When you exit Rednet Control, it appears the network drops the connection and cannot reestablish it again because there is no router/switch. By plugging both ends of a LAN cable into the Primary and Secondary ports it wakes the D16 up. For me, the primary reason for the direct connection is to avoid any noise the router may introduce into the system. To be honest, I don't look at Rednet Control after the system is up.

After reading Mourip's comments on the other site, I went into Rednet Control and everything was fine (running non stop for about 2 months). After I exited Rednet Control, I went back into Rednet Conrol and the D16 was dropped. So I did the LAN cable trick, and it came back. I tried exiting Rednet Control several times afterwards, and the D16 was still there.

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #3,545 of 3,694
If you've lost your D16 from Rednet Controller, try unplugging your LAN cable from the D16. Use a single cable, and plug one end into the Primary and other end into the Secondary ports of the D16. Once the lights begin flashing, unplug both ends and put you original LAN cable back into the Primary port. This should bring the connection back. I think Miska might be right. When you exit Rednet Control, it appears the network drops the connection and cannot reestablish it again because there is no router/switch. By plugging both ends of a LAN cable into the Primary and Secondary ports it wakes the D16 up. For me, the primary reason for the direct connection is to avoid any noise the router may introduce into the system. To be honest, I don't look at Rednet Control after the system is up.

After reading Mourip's comments on the other site, I went into Rednet Control and everything was fine (running non stop for about 2 months). After I exited Rednet Control, I went back into Rednet Control and the D16 was dropped. So I did the LAN cable trick, and it came back. I tried exiting Rednet Control several times afterwards, and the D16 was still there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried many things in my troubleshooting. Actually I usually keep Rednet Control up and leave it up, partially so I can see when it drops both my D16 and the Dante server entries. If I leave it up eventually it drops both. If I close it while both are still showing and then reopen it then they are usually both still there. I have found no repeatable pattern yet. I do know that rebooting my server will reestablish the connections showing in RC. I did not have this issue with the first couple of versions of RC. It came with an update and has never been resolved.

I briefly thought that stopping and restarting DVS would reestablish the link but further testing found that not to be true. Probably power cycling my D16 would work but both doing that and using your method are pretty inconvenient as they involve diving into the back of my somewhat inaccessible cabinet. It just seems to me that there is an inherent software bug with DVS and RC.

Regarding Miska's idea. I have spent a lot of energy removing SMPS's and isolating all of my audio devices to avoid ground currents. Currently my only connection to the "dirty" side is my ground isolating fiber media converter connection to my router. I might try his idea just to see if it solves the dropping issue but currently my system has such a black background with great low level detail that I am hesitant to sacrifice that to solve this irritating but intermittent issue.

BTW. My current setup is a server with two NICs. One goes through fiber to my LAN switch. The other goes to my D16 on port 1 and uses the self assigned address range that the D16 can use.

I think that it is time for me to contact Focusrite again about this and also now try Audinate.

Sep 28, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #3,546 of 3,694
Occasionally my dante network seems to be undetectable. I fix it by closing the dante controller and rednet app, then using a .bat file to stop and start all the dante related services in the correct order:

net stop conmon
net stop DanteDiscovery
net stop dvs.manager
net start conmon
net start DanteDiscovery
net start dvs.manager

Obviously this shouldnt be necessary but maybe it helps someone

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #3,548 of 3,694
Occasionally my dante network seems to be undetectable. I fix it by closing the dante controller and rednet app, then using a .bat file to stop and start all the dante related services in the correct order:

net stop conmon
net stop DanteDiscovery
net stop dvs.manager
net start conmon
net start DanteDiscovery
net start dvs.manager

Obviously this shouldnt be necessary but maybe it helps someone

Thanks Pete, it's nice we can share these types of things.

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #3,549 of 3,694
The batch file works well if Rednet Control is exited first. When RC is launched again the D16 is recognized however it will not play music until a new button is clicked which says "Conform". Once clicked, that button disappears and sample rate following starts again and music plays. I am currently seeing a pattern where all is well for about two days and then the D16 drops out of RC again.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #3,550 of 3,694
I am continuing to work with Focusrite on the Rednet Control dropout issue. They suggested that I uninstall Rednet Control and run Wireshark, a network protocol analyzer, to monitor one of the ports for issues. In the process I have learned a few things.

First, you do not need to run Rednet Control or even have it installed once you have your Dante system configured. It is mainly for monitoring and making changes for Pro Audio. If you leave Dante Controller installed you can still tell if there are issues. I also found that my version of Dante Controller was a bit old. I guess that I had not been keeping that part updated. So far my system has not lost contact with my D16. I am close to the 2 day mark at which point things usually drop so I will see how it goes. I left both of my ethernet connections connected to a Cisco SG200 which is powered by an LPS and has its LAN connection provided over fiber optic to ensure ground isolation.

The really good news is that I am using Roon now and it sounds much better than JRMC plus rate following is working perfectly. I am playing each track at its native rate and my SQ has never been better.

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #3,551 of 3,694
I have somewhat similar results. Without RedNet Control 2 installed, Dante Controller do not drop connection as ofter or it comes back up after few minutes. So there is still some bugs left.. Now it has been working fine for 2 days but sometimes it takes a bit longer time. I have send a few Wireshark captures with logs too.

I don't see how Roon would follow sample rate without RedNet Control. Dante Controller alone do not change it or does it?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #3,552 of 3,694
Now I am routing through HP 1810-8G v2 switch with single ethernet cable. When I previously used direct cable just for D16 AES I did not have any problem with heavy traffic on 'Internet' port. Now when I utilize that single port with traffic (10MB/s) I get some lost packets. That 10% port usage should not be a problem but it seems so. I guess this is fine with dedicated computer with low traffic and using switch.

I set "Interrupt Moderation" and "Flow Control " to Disabled from network card settings and it got much better, but still some packets are late. Sound quality is the same even with a few late packets but of course too many leads to skips in sound.

EEE settings could be affecting with Dante Controller connections. That setting was Enabled even though it should not matter when it was set to Disabled in switch.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #3,553 of 3,694
I have somewhat similar results. Without RedNet Control 2 installed, Dante Controller do not drop connection as ofter or it comes back up after few minutes. So there is still some bugs left.. Now it has been working fine for 2 days but sometimes it takes a bit longer time. I have send a few Wireshark captures with logs too.

I don't see how Roon would follow sample rate without RedNet Control. Dante Controller alone do not change it or does it?

I have rate following set to follow my Win2016 server so that means that it will follow whatever the rate the application is sending via DVS.

Sound like they already have the information that you sent from Wireshark. Do you have the most current versions of DVS and Dante Controller? Dante Controller is up to 4.1.0.5 for Windows.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #3,554 of 3,694
I have rate following set to follow my Win2016 server so that means that it will follow whatever the rate the application is sending via DVS.

Sound like they already have the information that you sent from Wireshark. Do you have the most current versions of DVS and Dante Controller? Dante Controller is up to 4.1.0.5 for Windows.
Do you use WDM driver with DVS then? Jriver with ASIO driver won't change sample rate without RC2..
I have DVS 4.0.4.4 and DC 4.1.0.5.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #3,555 of 3,694
I use the DVS ASIO driver. I recently stopped using JRiver and am now using Roon. When I used JRiver I did find sample rate following to be very flaky but it is unfailing with Roon. Before using Roon I had given up on SRF and just set everything to 192K in JRiver.

In RC I set the Global Sample Rate Follow to be my DVS computer, not my D16. I am using those same versions of DVS and DC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back