AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Feb 17, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #3,346 of 3,694
Latency is not an issue. Just something "fun" to play and tweak. It was a problem with older configuration, after that I bought a new computer. As I said, this is my third PC configuration with the same error and it only occurs after 24 hours uptime - everytime and always on every configuration. I have re-formated and re-installed windows from scratch few times and I am not doing it again. Also tried different network interfaces, network cables, power cables and DACs.

Jriver 23.0.102 32bit, Foobar2000 v1.3.9, VB-Audio ASIO Bridge 1.0.0.7

EAR Acute III, Densen FabelDAC (Tellurium Q Black Digital)
Densen B-175
ATC SCM50

My PC:
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5
Intel Core i7-7700k
16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600 CL16-16-16-36
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe 500GB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 AORUS Xtreme
Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium Fanless
Intel I350-T2V2
Windows 10 build 1079

Previous PC:
Asus P8P67 EVO
Intel i5-2500k
ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix 4GB DirectCU II
16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3
Crucial MX100 512GB
Seasonic X-660
Dual integrated Intel NIC
Windows 10

Laptop:
Lenovo X230
16GB
160GB
Intel NIC
Windows 10

I am hoping to that the people with the same problem to would make contact with Focusrite tech support. The same people who has written in this same thread.

This is what Focusrite tech support told me:
"We've run countless tests here and we've never been able to reproduce the issue that you seem to be experiencing. As you've noted, one or two other people have mentioned it in forums - my colleague joined the forum you mentioned and requested that anyone having this issue should contact us directly but I'm not aware that we've heard from anyone else."

I know this "Not present on the network" is not problem with everyone since many people won't keep computer up all night and day or need to change sample rate that often.

You've got a nice PC there. Your Latency in DC should average less than 1 msec. If you just ran W10, fb2k/DVS and Rednet Control that's what you'd get. I don't use JRiver or anything else and all is flac at 192. There's much on settings etc earlier in this thread. Focusrite are brilliant but their mindset is Pro Audio not audiophile. They "couldn't" reproduce on their bench a definite problem I had with an Yggy. I would trawl thread, reinstall starting simple. P.S. I am going for an Optane o/s next and you have the perfect machine for hd caching too ...

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #3,347 of 3,694
You've got a nice PC there. Your Latency in DC should average less than 1 msec. If you just ran W10, fb2k/DVS and Rednet Control that's what you'd get. I don't use JRiver or anything else and all is flac at 192. There's much on settings etc earlier in this thread. Focusrite are brilliant but their mindset is Pro Audio not audiophile. They "couldn't" reproduce on their bench a definite problem I had with an Yggy. I would trawl thread, reinstall starting simple. P.S. I am going for an Optane o/s next and you have the perfect machine for hd caching too ...
Average latency is 1,8msec. I would not recommend that Gigabyte motherboard to anyone wanting good DPC latency performance. It works just enough though. Kaby Lake architecture is not that good on those things on average. Nvidia GeForce is not that good for audio either, but that card have some things that I want to have. Like properly working video accelerations performance - Intel GPU is very poor. I have tried those all those HPET etc BIOS & SpeedStep settings. No luck.
I don't think Optane would give any benefit. I am loading decoded file into memory with Jriver. Still interested on how it goes. Music playback is disk(network),cache, memory and CPU job, so sure there is many things to go wrong (and right). :)

I play FLAC files from QNAP TS-453A-4G and using HP 1810-8G v2 switch between. Both could be upgraded to linear PSU, haven't done that.

I have tried some power cables too. Now I am using Essential Audio Tools Current Conductor cable. Works ok. Not sure if any better than standard black thing. Neotech NEP-3003 wasn't any better either. Then tried Oyaide Tunami with different plugs (079,004,046,GPXe,GPX-Re) and those really made a difference! Really great performance. I have to make some tests again..
There were some recommedation in this thread about power cables but those are not really available here in europe (Finland). So please if you have something to recommend, tell. :)

Edit: Qnap and power cables..

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #3,348 of 3,694
Have you tried removing the GPU card and running music files locally from hard drive?

I only get 1.8ms when resampling rate is 44.1. When running at 176.4 it drops below 1ms.

My machine runs at 1.6ghz with 8gb of ram. Have never had an issue running months and months 24/7.

Are you using your PC for multipurpose use? My previous comments were meant to get you to a starting point with just Windows and Dante software to see what happens (no external devices with the exception of D16).

Typically, when I change any of the Dante settings, I reboot the D16 via the software.

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #3,349 of 3,694
Since my system has been up for awhile now, I tried going into RNC/Dante/Audinate (Stop/Start) a couple of time and eventually ended up getting the error.

No way to fix it, other than reboot my PC. So your right, there is a bug. However, this isn't something that bothers me (not sure about anyone else). I very rarely use RNC since I use the same sample rates for everything.

You'd think Focusrite should be able to troubleshoot this...

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #3,350 of 3,694
Have you tried removing the GPU card and running music files locally from hard drive?

I only get 1.8ms when resampling rate is 44.1. When running at 176.4 it drops below 1ms.

My machine runs at 1.6ghz with 8gb of ram. Have never had an issue running months and months 24/7.

Are you using your PC for multipurpose use? My previous comments were meant to get you to a starting point with just Windows and Dante software to see what happens (no external devices with the exception of D16).

Typically, when I change any of the Dante settings, I reboot the D16 via the software.
My PC is for multipurpose use. Using RedNet to youtube-videos(ASIO Bridge), music(ASIO) and videos(MPC-HC, ASIO Bridge - WASAPI Exclusive). 44.1kHz for youtube and music and 48kHz for movies. There is not that much of high-res music.. but it really bugs off when playlist hits those 96kHz files and all I got is silence.
Yes, I have tried to use just integrated Intel GPU and play FLAC files locally. Definitely there were small difference in DPC latency, but not much in real playback performance quality/dante latency nor there were any affect in that bug.

When running at 192kHz latency is below 1ms too. My DAC(s) just do not support over 96kHz so I am not resampling anything. So there is constant need for changing sample rate. ..First I though that there were something wrong with RedNet when 176.4/192kHz didn't work. Just gave some weird static electric noise. Contacted Focusrite tech support but they didn't found any solution to problem.. It is hard when manufacturer won't give any specs for supported sample rates (EAR & Densen). Borrowed Audiolab M-DAC once and tadaa.. 192kHz works great. Learned that hard way.
Since my system has been up for awhile now, I tried going into RNC/Dante/Audinate (Stop/Start) a couple of time and eventually ended up getting the error.

No way to fix it, other than reboot my PC. So your right, there is a bug. However, this isn't something that bothers me (not sure about anyone else). I very rarely use RNC since I use the same sample rates for everything.

You'd think Focusrite should be able to troubleshoot this...
Thank you for confirming this. Rebooting the RedNet device from power button works too, but yeah rebooting PC is one solution.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #3,351 of 3,694
My PC is for multipurpose use. Using RedNet to youtube-videos(ASIO Bridge), music(ASIO) and videos(MPC-HC, ASIO Bridge - WASAPI Exclusive). 44.1kHz for youtube and music and 48kHz for movies. There is not that much of high-res music.. but it really bugs off when playlist hits those 96kHz files and all I got is silence.
Yes, I have tried to use just integrated Intel GPU and play FLAC files locally. Definitely there were small difference in DPC latency, but not much in real playback performance quality/dante latency nor there were any affect in that bug.

When running at 192kHz latency is below 1ms too. My DAC(s) just do not support over 96kHz so I am not resampling anything. So there is constant need for changing sample rate. ..First I though that there were something wrong with RedNet when 176.4/192kHz didn't work. Just gave some weird static electric noise. Contacted Focusrite tech support but they didn't found any solution to problem.. It is hard when manufacturer won't give any specs for supported sample rates (EAR & Densen). Borrowed Audiolab M-DAC once and tadaa.. 192kHz works great. Learned that hard way.

Thank you for confirming this. Rebooting the RedNet device from power button works too, but yeah rebooting PC is one solution.

Just a few peripheral thoughts:
Your machine is doing a lot more than mine - mine is stripped right back in every way to play flac only and, so, I am tempted to think that bells and whistles do not help.
Re audio, have you thought of re-sampling everything to 96 (or some other value) in fb2k so that only 96 goes thru DVS/RC2 - no constant fluctuation of sample rate.
Are you sure you have settings in DVS, RC2 and DC all optimised.
Finally - although some are obsessed with low power in the mobo/CPU I have tended to disable Speedstep etc in BIOS running "High" power (CPU = 100%) in Windows/CP - if I permit Speedstep in BIOS and run "Low" power in Windows/CP then DC Latency definitely increases - I do not notice any SQ enhancement with Low power - so I take the Latency improvement.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #3,352 of 3,694
Just a few peripheral thoughts:
Your machine is doing a lot more than mine - mine is stripped right back in every way to play flac only and, so, I am tempted to think that bells and whistles do not help.
Re audio, have you thought of re-sampling everything to 96 (or some other value) in fb2k so that only 96 goes thru DVS/RC2 - no constant fluctuation of sample rate.
Are you sure you have settings in DVS, RC2 and DC all optimised.
Finally - although some are obsessed with low power in the mobo/CPU I have tended to disable Speedstep etc in BIOS running "High" power (CPU = 100%) in Windows/CP - if I permit Speedstep in BIOS and run "Low" power in Windows/CP then DC Latency definitely increases - I do not notice any SQ enhancement with Low power - so I take the Latency improvement.
Dedicated machine would be ideal for sure. I have tried 96kHz resampling but meh, it would be downgrade in quality.. 192/176.4kHz would work better I guess.. EAR Acute III DAC is already doing internal 192kHz resample so that would double resampling. I have thought buying EAR DACute 192 though, same stuff inside but 192kHz works too.
Settings in DVS,RC2 and DC should be optimized. Just trying to reduce buffer size to 64 samples.. less latency-candles on right side of the window, so it's better I guess.

Tech support asked about network config, it is configured with manual IP address. That gives faster initialization speed than Automatically setting. No change in bug. Device latency is set to 0,25msec. Can't think any other settings to matter. Logs have been checked by Focusrite too, many times.

One single constant CPU speed would be optimal. Since I am running this machine semi-passive and needing power for high CPU intensity applications - that SpeedStep is ok compromise. I have finetuned some voltages down to keep it cool.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #3,353 of 3,694
Dedicated machine would be ideal for sure. I have tried 96kHz resampling but meh, it would be downgrade in quality.. 192/176.4kHz would work better I guess.. EAR Acute III DAC is already doing internal 192kHz resample so that would double resampling. I have thought buying EAR DACute 192 though, same stuff inside but 192kHz works too.
Settings in DVS,RC2 and DC should be optimized. Just trying to reduce buffer size to 64 samples.. less latency-candles on right side of the window, so it's better I guess.

Tech support asked about network config, it is configured with manual IP address. That gives faster initialization speed than Automatically setting. No change in bug. Device latency is set to 0,25msec. Can't think any other settings to matter. Logs have been checked by Focusrite too, many times.

One single constant CPU speed would be optimal. Since I am running this machine semi-passive and needing power for high CPU intensity applications - that SpeedStep is ok compromise. I have finetuned some voltages down to keep it cool.

OK well I do not set IP (or mobo voltages) manually and my machine does not multi-task. ?"high CPU intensity applications" - Maybe Windows is just getting its knickers in a twist - you know how easily that can happen ...

Also my DAC (Convert-2) follows - no internal resampling.

In case it helps here are my some misc. settings:

foobar2000
ASIO/64-bit/High Priority
Output Buffer Length - min = 50ms [250ms for gapless]
Sox @ 192000/Best

DVS:
Dante Latency: 4ms
ASIO Buffer: 32
ASIO Encoding: 32 bits
ASIO Latency: 1ms

RedNet Control:
SR: 192000
ASIO Buffer: 32

Dante Controller:
SP3 Device Config
Sample Rate: 192k
Encoding: PCM 32
D16 Device Config
Sample Rate: 192k
Latency - 250us (150us is greyed out)

All this said - I don't leave my machine on 24/7 although I know it has run 24-48 hrs no problems and very stable Latency. I don't recognise the phenomenon you are describing in my own experience - but I am so used to all IT being so perverse and fussy that it would not surprise me if I had but don't remember.

I wouldn't contemplate digital music but for AOIP. And sheer armchair convenience.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #3,354 of 3,694
This is what Focusrite tech support told me:
"We've run countless tests here and we've never been able to reproduce the issue that you seem to be experiencing. As you've noted, one or two other people have mentioned it in forums - my colleague joined the forum you mentioned and requested that anyone having this issue should contact us directly but I'm not aware that we've heard from anyone else."

Having used a D16 for about a year and a half I am surprised to hear that they are monitoring this thread. They certainly have not identified themselves nor do I know of any forum where they have a declared presence. I looked at my email and found a thread exactly one year ago where I sent them information and screen shots regarding the "Not present of network issue" and also the unreliability of rate switching. My guess is that they are hesitant to cater much to audiophiles since Pro Audio folks probably have a set rate for a given project/system and seldom switch. In fact they may even lock down their system to avoid possible conflicts between various devices. This is just a guess.

Do you keep the RC interface running all of the time or do you close it one you have your settings determined?

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #3,355 of 3,694
Having used a D16 for about a year and a half I am surprised to hear that they are monitoring this thread. They certainly have not identified themselves nor do I know of any forum where they have a declared presence. I looked at my email and found a thread exactly one year ago where I sent them information and screen shots regarding the "Not present of network issue" and also the unreliability of rate switching. My guess is that they are hesitant to cater much to audiophiles since Pro Audio folks probably have a set rate for a given project/system and seldom switch. In fact they may even lock down their system to avoid possible conflicts between various devices. This is just a guess.

Do you keep the RC interface running all of the time or do you close it one you have your settings determined?
That's my guess too.
I have RedNet Control 2 open all the time and using Sample rate follow function on "Auto". Works fine on Jriver with direct ASIO connection. Sometimes with ASIO Bridge and WASAPI Exclusive mode I have to click ASIO ON/OFF few times and do start/stop on Jriver and again start ASIO ON which resets all things. This is more related to Windows audio stack unable to release hooks on application and drivers. Normal stuff.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #3,356 of 3,694
New version of Dante Virtual Soundcard has been released.

https://www.audinate.com/content/dante-virtual-soundcard-v4031-windows

Bug Fixes:
  • DVS-531: When enrolled in a Dante domain, renaming the DVS device was not reflected in the DDM UI.
  • DVS-540: After installation, DVS would appear to start with no network selected.
Known Issues:
  • DVS-354: With only one hardware Dante device on the network, and DVS subscribed to that device, audio from the device to DVS is not restored when the device is rebooted. Workaround: Restart the audio after rebooting the hardware device.
Just installed, works ok.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #3,358 of 3,694
New version of Dante Virtual Soundcard has been released.

https://www.audinate.com/content/dante-virtual-soundcard-v4031-windows

Bug Fixes:
  • DVS-531: When enrolled in a Dante domain, renaming the DVS device was not reflected in the DDM UI.
  • DVS-540: After installation, DVS would appear to start with no network selected.
Known Issues:
  • DVS-354: With only one hardware Dante device on the network, and DVS subscribed to that device, audio from the device to DVS is not restored when the device is rebooted. Workaround: Restart the audio after rebooting the hardware device.
Just installed, works ok.

Did it have any effect on your issue?

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #3,359 of 3,694
Did it have any effect on your issue?
Nope.

No fix here. Attached a screenshot from VB-Audio software test and Dante Controller software. Biggest processing frame 49.36ms. At the same time Dante Controller Latency window shows 10msec peak. Some correlation. Not heard in sound, so not that big problem still.

latencyprob2.png

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #3,360 of 3,694
Anyone here running Windows 2012R2 with Audiophile Optimizer in Core Mode in their AOIP setup. My OS has crashed trying to switch to Core Mode and I am looking for solutions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back