AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Dec 13, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #2,641 of 3,694
For those that have been looking at AOIP, I just posted my review of the Atterotech unDAES-O.

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #2,642 of 3,694
For those that have been looking at AOIP, I just posted my review of the Atterotech unDAES-O.

Just finished reading your review. Well put together and enjoyed reading it. Easy to tell your excitement about AOIP.

I also read your comments in the other thread when you compared the unDAES-O with the D16 and couldn't hear any noticeable differences.

I've always felt by not using USB, and additionally, including JETPLL clocks to help manage jitter is what makes the D16 what it is.

It's interesting that the unDAES doesn't use any clocks to manage jitter (at least nothing I could find written about it).

Not to be taken the wrong way. This is just a thought. I'm wondering now, if using a speaker system would have highlighted any difference (ie. soundstage, imaging).

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #2,643 of 3,694
This is just a thought. I'm wondering now, if using a speaker system would have highlighted any difference (ie. soundstage, imaging).

Thanks, comments appreciated.

Won't be hearing it with speakers in the immediate future, that system is disassembled for a while. :D

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #2,647 of 3,694
Interesting thing Lyrebird APP ETH Network Audio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cR100Hs-Xw

I think you need another dante piece of hardware for it to work

It is a listener just like a RN3 or D16 from Focusrite. You need somerhing to play Dante into the network like the Virtual Soundcard from Audinate on a PC.

This piece of kit does not use Audinate Brooklyn or Via hardware, I wonder if they are free to use/interpret the Dante protocol or whether that is protected intellectual property.
The business model of Audinate is based on using Audinate hardware when working with the Dante protocol.

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #2,648 of 3,694
I think VSC will not stream unless it detects another dante device and that is why there is am2 in the video. Once there is a stream Lyrebird can listen. I hope I am wrong , because then we have $200 Dante to AES or spdif converter.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #2,649 of 3,694
I have what I'm sure will turn out to be a stupid question.

But, between better audio and self-esteem, I'll sacrifice the latter.

Since I have to use the Dante Virtual Soundcard to output to my D16, should I assume that using a JCAT or SOtM USB card is not possible as it requires its own driver?

And if it is possible, where would I enable the driver to make it possible to use the card?

Bracing for the answer.

Joel

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #2,650 of 3,694
Since I have to use the Dante Virtual Soundcard to output to my D16, should I assume that using a JCAT or SOtM USB card is not possible as it requires its own driver?

And if it is possible, where would I enable the driver to make it possible to use the card?

If you are asking if you can use both the ethernet output for the D16 and also a USB output on the same machine the answer is probably yes, but probably only one at a time.

If you are asking if you can set them both up to switch between two different chains without an issue or conflict the answer is probably yes also.

Try it using a normal USB port and then if that works try with one of the other add-on cards.

I had a PPA card in my server when I first moved to AOIP using a D16 but soon just removed and sold it.

Perhaps you are pondering trying out Robs newest USB path without risking what you already have set up :)

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #2,651 of 3,694
You're a smart man, mourip.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do.

But it seems I may have to use a generic USB card that won't require a special driver.

In that way I'm hoping I can get both Ethernet output and have my drive read at the same time.

Any other thoughts about that?

Thanks.

Joel

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2,652 of 3,694

If you are asking if you can use both the ethernet output for the D16 and also a USB output on the same machine the answer is probably yes, but probably only one at a time.

If you are asking if you can set them both up to switch between two different chains without an issue or conflict the answer is probably yes also.

Try it using a normal USB port and then if that works try with one of the other add-on cards.

I had a PPA card in my server when I first moved to AOIP using a D16 but soon just removed and sold it.

Perhaps you are pondering trying out Robs newest USB path without risking what you already have set up :)

Easy - both are completely compatible.  I use Foobar and would just change source from the DVS ASIO to the USB KS or ASIO under 'Devices'.  In fact still have DVS ASIO showing up in my devices list, even though running USB.

But you can't do both at the same time - your music player needs to 'know' where to direct the audio music data stream down a Ethernet or USB pipe

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #2,653 of 3,694

Easy - both are completely compatible.  I use Foobar and would just change source from the DVS ASIO to the USB KS or ASIO under 'Devices'.  In fact still have DVS ASIO showing up in my devices list, even though running USB.

But you can't do both at the same time - your music player needs to 'know' where to direct the audio music data stream down a Ethernet or USB pipe

It's that "same time" thing that's forcing me to buy the Startech device, Rob.

Thanks for the information.

I'll let you know what I find out in terms of what I get with that and the D16.

Joel

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #2,654 of 3,694
Has anyone else been using their D16 without a router/switch/modem (Ethernet cable directly from PC to D16, and no Ethernet cable from D16 to router/switch/modem)? I'm sure it would work with RN3, but would have to connect to router first (wake-up port), then unplug and plug Ethernet cable from PC to RN3. For D16, just have an Ethernet cable on hand and plug one end into Primary, and other end into Secondary ports. Remove cable when D16 ports start flashing and then plug PC cable into D16 Primary or Secondary port. Without router/switch/modem - no FMC, optical cable, LPS needed for this connection anymore. Latency in my system dropped a bit more as well.

Obviously, you won't have an internet connection without a link to your modem. But, if you don't need the internet while listening to music, it might be something to consider.

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #2,655 of 3,694
  Has anyone else been using their D16 without a router/switch/modem (Ethernet cable directly from PC to D16, and no Ethernet cable from D16 to router/switch/modem)? I'm sure it would work with RN3, but would have to connect to router first (wake-up port), then unplug and plug Ethernet cable from PC to RN3. For D16, just have an Ethernet cable on hand and plug one end into Primary, and other end into Secondary ports. Remove cable when D16 ports start flashing and then plug PC cable into D16 Primary or Secondary port. Without router/switch/modem - no FMC, optical cable, LPS needed for this connection anymore. Latency in my system dropped a bit more as well.

Obviously, you won't have an internet connection without a link to your modem. But, if you don't need the internet while listening to music, it might be something to consider.

I added a second ethernet card to my PC so I have one link to the D16 and the other to my switch for Internet and copying music. One of the D16 ethernet ports goes unused.

If you do not have a PC card slot to use you can get a USB to ethernet dongle. 

BTW. The D16 will work with a self-assigned IP address 169.x.x.x so you do not need to worry about it getting an address from your router.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back