AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jan 5, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #2,656 of 3,694

I use a Mac mini 2012 with the native ethernet connected directly to my Rednet 16 (with FMCs) and I use a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter on the same mini  connected to my TimeCapsul so I can stream Tidal. I do not use the second ethernet input on the Rednet. Works perfectly.

Tommy

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #2,657 of 3,694
Rednet 3 with LPS mod anyone?

I was wondering if anyone has managed to do this yet. There was some posts a couple of months back about an interested in feeding DC from an LPS and bypass the SMTP in the Rednet 3.

I have outputs spare on my LPS so if it is possible would be interested in a method to do this.

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #2,658 of 3,694
I have received my triple output LPS and am in the process of configuring and preparing to wire them together.
And one of the tests will be to determine if all 3 voltages or just the +5vdc will be necessary to power the RN3.

And now that the silly season is over I'll have more time to fuss with wires and such.

JJ

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #2,660 of 3,694
Hey mourip,

Have you ever used the USB to Ethernet solution?

If so, do you believe you paid a sonic penalty by using that option?

Joel

Yes. I actually have two rigs. One for speakers and one for headphones, each using a D16. My speaker rig has the extra ethernet card while my HP rig uses an additional USB to ethernet dongle. Both rigs use internal SSD's for music so I am not going over the LAN to play music files. Both setups have a direct connection to the D16 to play music. The HP rig uses the ethernet dongle just for network/Internet access and remote control so it should not affect music playback.

Hope this helps.

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #2,661 of 3,694

I added a second ethernet card to my PC so I have one link to the D16 and the other to my switch for Internet and copying music. One of the D16 ethernet ports goes unused.

If you do not have a PC card slot to use you can get a USB to ethernet dongle. 

BTW. The D16 will work with a self-assigned IP address 169.x.x.x so you do not need to worry about it getting an address from your router.

Your right, no need to wake-up the ports as the 169.x.x.x address is assigned automatically.

It's nice that a router doesn't need to be attached (if internet is not required).

I think I will add a NIC to my PC so it gives me Remote access from my laptop, but as you mentioned later, this has no impact on sound quality.

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #2,663 of 3,694

It's that "same time" thing that's forcing me to buy the Startech device, Rob.

Thanks for the information.

I'll let you know what I find out in terms of what I get with that and the D16.

Joel

Hi Joel,

I ordered a mircoSD SLC and a SLC USB drive from Digikey to compare to the USB PNY 256GB's

Thanks for your suggestion - I only ordered the small capacity to test.

I'm still following this thread - interested to see what some try as far as external music storage with AOIP.

Cheers!

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #2,665 of 3,694

Hi Joel,

I ordered a mircoSD SLC and a SLC USB drive from Digikey to compare to the USB PNY 256GB's

Thanks for your suggestion - I only ordered the small capacity to test.

I'm still following this thread - interested to see what some try as far as external music storage with AOIP.

Cheers!

You're a good man, Rob.

We're all interested in the same thing . . . better sound.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Joel

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,666 of 3,694
  Thanks a lot for your reply, mourip.

Do you believe the sound is as good as a standard Ethernet direct connection?

Joel

To be honest I did it mainly based upon theory. It just made sense. Also I am a terrible audiophile when it comes to only doing one thing at once. I believe that I added the fiber link at the same time.

Bottom line is that my system is sounding great. Very black background with a lot of depth and detail. Add on ethernet cards are cheap:)

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #2,667 of 3,694

To be honest I did it mainly based upon theory. It just made sense. Also I am a terrible audiophile when it comes to only doing one thing at once. I believe that I added the fiber link at the same time.

Bottom line is that my system is sounding great. Very black background with a lot of depth and detail. Add on ethernet cards are cheap:)

Added NIC to my PC. This is the perfect setup. Thanks.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #2,669 of 3,694

For a "terrible audiphile" I've been getting some good information from you, mourip.

Thanks for the information.

Joel

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #2,670 of 3,694
Probably a stupid question... Using a network digital streamer like for example SoundAware D100 (or even the Hegel h160, capable of dlna) will not bring the same results/improvements as "audio over ip"?

No, completely different technology.
AOIP is a realtime protocol. Regular streamers are a kind of file transfer protocol.
Its main difference is in what the receiving end still has to do to create an audio signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back