AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jan 16, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #2,686 of 3,694
Agree with many of above. Lot of gear changes over past year on my end and am very happy with current sq. If power supply turns out to be a weakness to the RedNet boxes than I am happy to wait out and investigate the inevitable Dante based solution which allows for external power supply option. 

For what it is worth, all the "hype" over MQA got me curious so I sprung for a $200 Explorer 2. Not a game changer IMO. Some of the new masters are very nice but I do not see this as a hi-fi "revolution" as some of the audio press pontificates. It likely raises sq for the streaming masses but probably not for the serious hobbyists. If the MQA  catalog (Warner Music) really appeals to you, then by all means check it out. I did find that while the absolute sq did not blow my socks off that hw mqa decoding>sw decoding> unencoded. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #2,687 of 3,694
Odd. Rednet in my system is anything bit sterile. It is very natural, non-fatiguing, and involving.

It seems to me that our hobby will always be somewhat subjective and very few systems are exactly alike. We all have different downstream components and cables to add to the mix.This makes comparisons somewhat like "apples to oranges". Sometimes I think audio is more like cooking than science. 

Glad he found something that works for him in his system. Hopefully there are some "golden nuggets" in there that can translate well for other systems also.
Well said! 'More like cooking then science'. His system is even more extreme then my ' ultra USB' chain. $3000 in LPS's alone! Worth a read.

I have moved to another level using industrial SLC USB flash drive in the Startech for music storage and playback.

The level of resolution and detail on whole other level.

Not just incremental, but a sea change in SQ improvement.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #2,688 of 3,694
Agree with many of above. Lot of gear changes over past year on my end and am very happy with current sq. If power supply turns out to be a weakness to the RedNet boxes than I am happy to wait out and investigate the inevitable Dante based solution which allows for external power supply option. 

For what it is worth, all the "hype" over MQA got me curious so I sprung for a $200 Explorer 2. Not a game changer IMO. Some of the new masters are very nice but I do not see this as a hi-fi "revolution" as some of the audio press pontificates. It likely raises sq for the streaming masses but probably not for the serious hobbyists. If the MQA  catalog (Warner Music) really appeals to you, then by all means check it out. I did find that while the absolute sq did not blow my socks off that hw mqa decoding>sw decoding> unencoded. 
Really don't think MQA, DSD, or HiRes PCM is really necessary. I'm getting a breathtaking level of audio from just plain Redbook Wav files.

Better then what my old $30k analog rig could produce on 200gm virgin vinyl.

:beerchug:

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #2,690 of 3,694
Really don't think MQA, DSD, or HiRes PCM is really necessary. I'm getting a breathtaking level of audio from just plain Redbook Wav files.

Better then what my old $30k analog rig could produce on 200gm virgin vinyl.

beerchug.gif

+1

DSD is way over rated. In a good system Redbook can be stunning. I went through two DSD DAC's then bought an Yggy. Never looked back.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #2,691 of 3,694

I think with audio gear, you can get to a certain point where things seems to be side grades or a little bump in sq here and there but further tinkering can lose sq-gains to make way for others... it is at this point (to me) that you stop buying gear for swapping/testing/upping and just start enjoying the music. Otherwise you're just a chef and never the guy that relaxes to eat.

+1

Having Hi Fi hobby for 40ish years, I have purchased more "side grades" than most HeadFiers. Some of that is purchases not well thought out, some a result of "latest and greatest" carelessness, but as you suggest, a lot is likely due to synergy (or lack of) with the rest of the system and taking the time to achieve that.

My purchase of Yggy in 2015 and feeding it via Dante Ethernet in 2016 are rare "without a doubt" upgrades in my rig - clarity and "touch" in spades.

IMO
YMWV

I agree, the AOIP had the same bonus for me. AND I could ditch the hideous spaghetti behind my Mac Mini!. I dig the neatness of it and the one box solution.

I wonder if Rednet would make at some point, a all out home audio version? I am thinking the digital out in the Rednet routers is a 'monitoring' facility for a studio? i.e. damb good but could be improved maybe? And the power supply for it upgraded. Realistically it will probably be a non pro use audio manufacturer that makes such a product. I am not complaining mind (only wondering) it sounds so good and clearly beats my USB chains and CDP.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #2,692 of 3,694
Sorry to cut in...

Has anyone here compared the Rednet 3/D16 to any of those well-regarded USB interfaces? Such as Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, Hydra Z and Weiss int204...not of those selling at a much cheaper level..

It would be more persuasive if u did it.

Thx.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,693 of 3,694
  Sorry to cut in...

Has anyone here compared the Rednet 3/D16 to any of those well-regarded USB interfaces? Such as Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, Hydra Z and Weiss int204...not of those selling at a much cheaper level..

Thx.

I believe there ARE comparisons buried in the thread. I have tried the OffRamp 5 and had the M2Tech EVO full stack and sold them for the RedNet3. My observations were more fluid and smoother, same detail but less harshness and cold / digital sound I had accepted with USB.

It may be system dependant how big a difference mind. The server you use, the DAC, and the SQ level you have right now i.e. the better systems IMO will show more difference between the two. Expect a similar sound signature you have with your USB chain BUT crucially more smoothness, fluidity and real sounding. Zero fatigue in fact. Very undigital and more analogue.

Also, IMO some of the current testing on the USB fights back thread (no disrespect for that threads content) may be due to the extra reclocking in a chain, and that can be DAC dependant as well.

I would say try and get to hear the RedNet3 in your system somehow, so you know for sure. I bought without a demo and am very happy I did.

Lastly, if you need to upsample beyond 192 then it might not be right for you as Rednet is limited to 192, even thought Ethernet can go way beyond USB as it is faster. It may be the software limiting that, I am not sure. I have an R-2R DAC with Redbook so not an issue for me.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #2,694 of 3,694
  Sorry to cut in...

Thx.

I compare the Hydra Z and the Mutec MC-3+ USB - as well as a dozen others.  On my old XU208 thread and over on CA some folks who had the Berkeley preferred the F-1 and the Rednet

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #2,695 of 3,694
  Sorry to cut in...

Thx.

I have owned a Berkeley Alpha USB and definitely prefer my D16. I've since sold my Alpha USB.

Joel

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #2,697 of 3,694
Thx..Just got my D16 yesterday but still cant get it working right. I only have an AES cable, but it seems that the AES in-out (DARS) is not for digital signal output?.. Do I need to buy a DB25 breakout..?

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #2,698 of 3,694
Thx..Just got my D16 yesterday but still cant get it working right. I only have an AES cable, but it seems that the AES in-out (DARS) is not for digital signal output?.. Do I need to buy a DB25 breakout..?

Ethernet-in, AES-out, that's all you need (nothing else).

Have you loaded DVS, Dante Controller, and Rednet Control?

Did you set-up Rednet Controller?
Did you set-up the routing in Dante Controller?

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #2,700 of 3,694
Have a question....i plan to get into AOIP and using the cheap Odante right now...I have an NUC (win 10 optimized for audio nothing else)  which is connected to Yggy...i have another PC (desktp[ , lot of other software not optimized at all for audio)..... If i can get dante , can i use my other PC without loss of quality??? Or how much does the pc config and optimization matter for AOIP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back