AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 31, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,276 of 3,694

The upper BNC on the right accepts both WCLK and 1-10M in. That is how I hooked mine up after setting up the config to External and Re-Clock...

The labeling is confusing. Took me a few to figure it out.

Yes I see that in the manual, but could not get a lock on ext clock using the BJC BNC cable.

Fortunately the Oyaide BNC cable arrived Friday - and that one worked.  Great cable.  I will have to order another one for the wclock ext fed to the Mutec.

Right now working with a friend on a project using the BURL Dante Brooklyn 2 card and the B2 Bomber DAC. 

After some mods this thing is killer good - will report more on this later...bypassing SPDIF for a direct AOIP Dante DAC solution.

My RN3, Mutec maybe going up for sale soon.

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #1,277 of 3,694

smily_headphones1.gif

Here is a pic of my Mutec setting. Can't see the Antelope but is just to the right of the Mutec. 

It is possible that the  Mutec is doing something different than I think it is (would not be the first time). However, based on reading the manual a few times I believe the LED indicators are telling me I am externally reclocking using the Antelope. 

This pix was snapped when I was playing something from Roon/Tidal so it's at 44.1Khz. I also was able to play files natively at 96Khz and 192Khz as well. I was also able to upsample to 192Khz in Jriver.

If I'm doing something wrong someone let me know.

Hi Gldgate

This is completely RIGHT !!!

First column says it is reclocking using an external source.
Second column says it is using the AES3/1 connector for the audio signal used as reference for sample rate.

The two blue lights tell you:
1. top one: it has a lock on the incoming audio signal.
2. second from top: it has a lock on the external clock signal.

Pressing menu and select together and hold it for 3(?) seconds will turn off all the lights exept power and the two block lock leds. This is quite fiddely thought, to get them pressed properly together (according to the Mutec that is). It gives a more quiet image though.

cheers

PS.
You did also set the RedNet to use an external clock?
You set it in RedNet Control / Settings of your device (Spanner symbol) / RedNet Clock Source / BNC input (word clock)

PS2.
In RedNet Control I also saved the settings to a file using the default name offered, as I don't know if all settings are remembered across reboots/power down situations.

Thanks for confirming. Yes, I have RedNet set to use external (Antelope Live) clock as well. Did not know about the menu/select feature - thanks for passing along that tip. 

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #1,278 of 3,694
For those looking for a more affordable 10M clock option there is also cybershaft in Japan:

http://www.cybershaft.jp/a-products/a-products-rb.html

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #1,279 of 3,694
  For those looking for a more affordable 10M clock option there is also cybershaft in Japan:

http://www.cybershaft.jp/a-products/a-products-rb.html

Those phase noise figures are not something to get excited about: 
1Hz -78dBc/Hz以下 / オフセット10Hz -90dBc/Hz

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,280 of 3,694
  Those phase noise figures are not something to get excited about: 

Looks like this would be the top of line model:

http://www.cybershaft.jp/a-products/limited.html

Don't know anything about them other than 1 or 2 folks at WTB forum have cybershaft units and have posted positive things.

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #1,281 of 3,694
Right now working with a friend on a project using the BURL Dante Brooklyn 2 card and the B2 Bomber DAC. 

After some mods this thing is killer good - will report more on this later...bypassing SPDIF for a direct AOIP Dante DAC solution.

My RN3, Mutec maybe going up for sale soon.

Don't you follow our friend Mike on het Mivera Audio forum?.
He has a SuperStream Pro and PureStream DAC out for release soon that is based on Ravenna protocol going with Ravenna directly into the DAc at very reasonable price levels and with true top of the line hand picked oscilator cristals.
This Ravenna implementation has no limit of 192kHz or PCM for that matter.

http://www.miveraaudio.com/#!mivera-audio-forum/ycs0u

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #1,282 of 3,694
Jul 31, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #1,283 of 3,694

Looks like this would be the top of line model:

http://www.cybershaft.jp/a-products/limited.html

Don't know anything about them other than 1 or 2 folks at WTB forum have cybershaft units and have posted positive things.

WTB forum?

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,284 of 3,694

WTB forum?

Here you go:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/

Looks like the guy who posted there also posted on audiogon forums. He purchased a cybershaft clock that has separate 10M OCXO and Rubidbium outputs. Appears he prefers the 10M OCXO and is using it 90-95% of the time.

Here is link to the "combo" clock:

http://www.cybershaft.jp/a-products/entry27.html

and here is the premium 10M OCXO (not the limited I linked previously):

http://www.cybershaft.jp/a-products/premium.html

The premium 10M OCXO looks interesting and has pricing that is more in line with my audio comfort zone. The Cybershafts have 50-ohm connectors instead of the 75-ohm typical in audio but from what I've been reading if you keep cables short it should not be an issue.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #1,285 of 3,694

Good morning jabbr.

Are you still using optical media converters with your new REDnet system? Have you tried removing them to see if it matters now? If you are still using optical ethernet what leg(s) of your system is it deployed in?

I picked up a pair of the media converters and a lenght of optical cable to see if I could hear the isolation effects. My PC has two network cards. One goes to my D16 while the other goes to my LAN. I inserted the converters in the LAN leg.  I was hoping that the fiber would drop off some noise as the back of my cabinet is getting pretty busy these days with a D16, Mutec, Antelope, DAC, Pre, and amp.To be honest I am not sure that I hear a difference. I will probably leave it in for now and then take it out later to see if something good leaves.

Thanks!

Aug 1, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #1,286 of 3,694
Good morning jabbr.

Are you still using optical media converters with your new REDnet system? Have you tried removing them to see if it matters now? If you are still using optical ethernet what leg(s) of your system is it deployed in?

I picked up a pair of the media converters and a lenght of optical cable to see if I could hear the isolation effects. My PC has two network cards. One goes to my D16 while the other goes to my LAN. I inserted the converters in the LAN leg.  I was hoping that the fiber would drop off some noise as the back of my cabinet is getting pretty busy these days with a D16, Mutec, Antelope, DAC, Pre, and amp.To be honest I am not sure that I hear a difference. I will probably leave it in for now and then take it out later to see if something good leaves.

Thanks!

Don't forget to leave a space for the ref10!

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #1,287 of 3,694

Good morning jabbr.

Thanks!

Hi mourip

I use a set of 3 Cisco switches in my house. All switches are connected via optical cabling.
One of these switches is in my listening room and is also used for several other media devices in that room that need LAN-connection.
My Rednet D16 is connected to the Cisco switch via optical fibre using a single TP-Link media converter (the other end is connected to an optical transciever in my Cisco switch).
The Audio PC I use for playback is connected to the same switch via my Acousense GISO GB LAN-isolator, which I have anyway, so might just as well use it.

So of the RedNet D16 I only use one ethernet port.

I did not listen to any setup without optical fibre connections, as I think maximum electrical isolation is always good (but maybe not better perse), and I have fibre connections in the house anyway.
The TP-Link is powered by one of my Paul Hynes LPS rails which became available after dropping the USB-card from my Audio PC.

My Hifi-rack consists of 8 full single width levels and 2 double width levels, and I can still manage to put all of it in.
DAC is lying behind the Grimm Master Clock and the Mutec is lying behind a stack of CD's on the top-level.
I put the RedNet D16 on a set of Pangea Mega feet to give it a bit of clearance and it sits on top of another device.
I put several sheets of 3M EMI absorbers on the bottom of the RedNet to absorb any stray interference that might be radiated from the device underneath.

Get the picture 
biggrin.gif
 ?

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #1,288 of 3,694
Don't forget to leave a space for the ref10!

If it ever comes to that, I still have one level in my rack that is unused. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #1,289 of 3,694

Get the picture 
biggrin.gif
 ?

Thanks for taking the time to spell it out in detail. I appreciate it. My system is basically set up the same way.

I might try the 12v tap from my HDPlex LPS to my Antelope and I think I have an adjustable tap to get 9v for the TP-Link. My only concern is feeding back noise into the LPS which also gives 19v to my PC...

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #1,290 of 3,694
  If it ever comes to that, I still have one level in my rack that is unused. 
rolleyes.gif

That was for mourip, he's been setting up some excuses like 'space is running out'. Like, really?? More so than miserably small Singapore? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back