AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Aug 1, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,291 of 3,694
  That was for mourip, he's been setting up some excuses like 'space is running out'. Like, really?? More so than miserably small Singapore? :p

I guess I will just have to build another room :)

Actually one more item in the Den and I will be single again...

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #1,292 of 3,694

Yes I see that in the manual, but could not get a lock on ext clock using the BJC BNC cable.

Fortunately the Oyaide BNC cable arrived Friday - and that one worked.  Great cable.  I will have to order another one for the wclock ext fed to the Mutec.

Right now working with a friend on a project using the BURL Dante Brooklyn 2 card and the B2 Bomber DAC. 

After some mods this thing is killer good - will report more on this later...bypassing SPDIF for a direct AOIP Dante DAC solution.

My RN3, Mutec maybe going up for sale soon.

I look forward to your comments!  

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #1,293 of 3,694
Thanks for taking the time to spell it out in detail. I appreciate it. My system is basically set up the same way.

I might try the 12v tap from my HDPlex LPS to my Antelope and I think I have an adjustable tap to get 9v for the TP-Link. My only concern is feeding back noise into the LPS which also gives 19v to my PC...

The TP-link can also run from 5V (see the manual) and that's how I run it from my PH LPS (the 5V was previously feeding my USB card).

Aug 2, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #1,294 of 3,694
Anyone run across this Dante dongle yet?

http://www.amphenolaudio.com/products/dante/adapter/amphe-dante/#more-info

Interesting although certainly not going to be high-end. 24/96 and costs $200 and has a built in DAC :)

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #1,296 of 3,694
  Is there a fundamental difference between d16 and rednet 3?

In SQ probably not, mostly in features.

Both do up to 192K however the RN3 cannot do 176K while the D16 can.
The D16 has two ethernet ports making it a little more versatile for network config and redundancy.
The D16 has AES/EBU outputs while the RN3 needs an adapter to get AES out. 

Lots of good details like these earlier in this thread and also on the Rednet thread over on The Computer Audiophile.

If you decide to get one Sweetwater has great service and if you ask for "their best price" will trim some off of the advertised price...

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #1,298 of 3,694
Been awhile since going into this thread.

So are the Rednet units still ahead of the USB offerings as far as SQ including the su-1? Not including reclocker and atomic clock, just Rednet v USB.

I would say easily, expecting the SU1 to be only marginally better, if at all, than the F-1, and the Rednets being leaps ahead of the F-1.

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #1,302 of 3,694
Right on, just scratching my head why there's still activity in the USB threads lol. I know people have yet to make the switch but amazes me people aren't exploring this avenue in droves and are still fiddling with usb chains.

Well the stock SU-1 is likely better then a stock F-1 fed by a PC USB power, as the SU-1 would have much cleaner power source.  A well fed F-1 should as good or even better then a SU-1 unmodded.

The reason is likely cost #1, simplity of setup #2, and the flexiblity of the i2s output on the SU-1 #3 (they engineered a great pin adpation scheme with those jumper settings.)

For $400 shipped the SU-1 is a terrific bargain - turn key solution.

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,304 of 3,694
I can understand the i2s but simplicity is out when you've got cleaners and linear power all lined up to the usb. I suppose those are plug and play as well. The price is definitely up there in comparison to stock units. Even an F1 with a Schiit Wyrd sounds amazing for USB so I suppose that extra 10-15% might not be worth reaching for if you've never heard it.

Then there's the argument that servers don't have the same issues as consumer pc usb issues...I don't know about that one.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #1,305 of 3,694
I can understand the i2s but simplicity is out when you've got cleaners and linear power all lined up to the usb. I suppose those are plug and play as well. The price is definitely up there in comparison to stock units. Even an F1 with a Schiit Wyrd sounds amazing for USB so I suppose that extra 10-15% might not be worth reaching for if you've never heard it.

Then there's the argument that servers don't have the same issues as consumer pc usb issues...I don't know about that one.

Well I think alot of folks think like @Luckbad, that is just don't really want to explore (and spend for) complex USB chains, or power supply chains as well.  So are looking for a simple plug and play turnkey solution.

We tweekers are really a unique group - looking to push the envelope.  Yes the payoff is high if done right - but not for everyone.  Reminds me of my teenage muscle car days.  We were always looking for ways to eke out a little more horsepower or cut ET times.  Some folks just wanted to go to the dealer and drive away.

Then there is a group devout to i2s - this is not to surprising with the ability to do DSD natively if your DAC can handle that.

Anyway - sota AOIP chains can get more complex then USB ones.  I mean I have two LPS for my fiber ethernet - then an Antelope OCX Wclock, Mutec MC-3+USB as a SPDIF reclocker, etc...maybe more insane (and definitely more expensive) then my uber USB chain.

And you should see what we've done to a BURL B2 Bomber + BURL Dante BK2 card!  Oh man this is crazy and good!

Excited to see what Mike is coming up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back