Audio Mirror NOS DAC
Sep 2, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #76 of 142
bg4533:

Thanks for the pics. Your photography skills are appreciated!
280smile.gif

Nice mods as well. I still think you can eek out some more performance!

Sep 2, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #77 of 142
Alright... I made a bid on the Dialogue II.

So no one else bid on it! Please.
biggrin.gif

I was thinking once we all have our nice DACs from abroad, maybe someone wants to do a comprehensive review of these units at various price points? I'd send mine out for something like that as I'm terribly curious myself, plus this info is great for Head-fi. Lotsa people are wanting to move to an outboard DAC for their computer setups. I believe more (verified) choices in the cheap DAC market are needed to bridge the gap between the likes Bel Canto/Ack/Apogee/Benchmark/etc and soundcards.

Sep 2, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #78 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
If you guys venture into CD territory why not just get the EastSound? That thing slaughters everything up to like $7k or so according to the large thread in this very forum, lol.

I think there's something to be said for trying out obscure designs and, in my personal case, building things oneself. If there's anything I've been able to figure out over the last few months, it's that DIY and overseas purchases really *can* give you superior sound to better known products simply due to the inherent price/performance ratio for major retail high-end goods.

So while it's rather easy to simply settle for the Eastsound, what's wrong with trying something out that isn't especially well known around Head-Fi?
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #79 of 142
Quote:

Alright... I made a bid on the Dialogue II.

So no one else bid on it! Please.
biggrin.gif

Well I hope you win it. Then there'd be at least 3 of us with them.
-Dan

Sep 2, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #80 of 142
Quote:

HI:

DAC 38 is the best DAC in Lite's product line.

Thanks

The e-mail I just got from the founder of www.iwdiy.com..

Sep 2, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #82 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by WK446
The modding has begun... RAM (Reference Audio Modifications) has officially announced modifications to the Audio Mirror DAC and DAC-Ah here.

Price for the mods appears to be $350 installed incl. return shipping.

I'm completely happy with my stock Audio Mirror, but if I ever get upgraditus again, I always have this mod option. It's nice to know.

Sep 2, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #83 of 142
iamdone:

I completely agree. I am always worried that something about the DAC will be "lost" after modifications. That's the inherent risk. I'll be staying stock for the time being...

I guess a product has finally "made it" when companies start modifying it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I'm completely happy with my stock Audio Mirror, but if I ever get upgraditus again, I always have this mod option. It's nice to know.

Sep 2, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #84 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by WK446
iamdone:

I completely agree. I am always worried that something about the DAC will be "lost" after modifications. That's the inherent risk. I'll be staying stock for the time being...

I guess a product has finally "made it" when companies start modifying it...

Same fealing here. Now that I'm happy with the sound why change it even if it's supposed to be better. It the same idea as a more expensive wine doesn't always taste better to a cheaper wine you already love.

Sep 2, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #85 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwc
Well I hope you win it. Then there'd be at least 3 of us with them.
-Dan

I did
biggrin.gif

Also just ordered a PPX3 Slam. For some reason I feel it's better to have an $800 amp and $200 source rather than $200 amp and $800 source... which surely makes no sense whatsoever, lol.

Sep 2, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #86 of 142
Quote:

I did
biggrin.gif

Also just ordered a PPX3 Slam. For some reason I feel it's better to have an $800 amp and $200 source rather than $200 amp and $800 source... which surely makes no sense whatsoever, lol.

From the source first point of view, no it doesn't make alot of sense on paper but it's also about how well that $200 source performs overall.
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #87 of 142
Quote:

I did
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

No that's perfectly fine. Price doesn't always determine quality, especially when it comes to these products from China/HK.

I think I'm going to balance my budget by going ~$400 source and ~$400 amp though.

After spending a couple of months in this hobby, I've realized that I want to get a reference setup (for my budget at least) in place before I buy other headphones. And I now know the sound that I like so that should save me from more headaches.

Sep 2, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #88 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
From the source first point of view, no it doesn't make alot of sense on paper but it's also about how well that $200 source performs overall.
wink.gif

Agreed, and thank you for your impressions to push me in this direction.

I know some Chinese tube amps are well regarded but I'm very afraid of hiss/hum issues which seem to be common. The one thing about these eBay DACs is no issues like this were reported.

Plus people lob some incredible compliments at the Slam Singlepower amps, so I must try...

Sep 2, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #89 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
biggrin.gif

After spending a couple of months in this hobby, I've realized that I want to get a reference setup (for my budget at least) in place before I buy other headphones. And I now know the sound that I like so that should save me from more headaches.

Yeah well, I didn't really plan on the headphones so much... but when there's only 500 in the world and suddenly they've become hot on Head-fi you take your good used deals when you can get them.

I hope this setup will carry me for a good while. With my guitar stuff I have several nice pieces that I'm in love with (and have been for years now), but I don't get the very best. I like to hit that magic entry level to the high-end/boutique stuff before the diminishing returns goes exponential.
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #90 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Alright.. I don't read or write Chinese, but my dad can and I spent a good hour surfing up iwdiy.com's forum for DAC38 vs. DAC68 vs. DAC60 impressions.

Nice work with all the research Akwok!

Kinda strange how the CD-15 beats the stand alone DAC-38 in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back