Audio Mirror NOS DAC
Sep 27, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #136 of 142
Glad to see some people who've tried the DAC-ah in this forum. I've got a question for any takers:

I've read about some people modding the DAC-AH, especially upgrading the capacitors. But how does the unit sound out of the box? One much advertised mod package out there runs in the $350 range. After shipping costs, we're at $525-$600 easily. If I upgrade that way, I feel I might as well get a Scott Nixon TubeDac+ or similar. I don't know if my local stereo shop will upgrade just the caps for me. Does it sound ok out of the box? I'm trying to improve the sound of my Squeezebox2.

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #137 of 142
I just recieved a 24/192 dac from china.Found out about the dac from a friend of mine.He meet this guy on e-bay and has been buying equipment from him over a year now.The dac sounds very good and is very nice looking on top of that.It cost me $243 delivered.Took 3 days to reach me in the usa.After i have had a chance to let it break in and listen some i will start a new thread about it.

The fellow that sells them lives in HK,but they are made in china so it seems you get alot for your money.He told me he is aware of cattylink,but does not have to make as much money as they do.
icon10.gif

The little dac also have XLR ,digital and coax outputs.A volume knob is on the front just for listening to headphones.

Oct 1, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #139 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellzan Wissles
Glad to see some people who've tried the DAC-ah in this forum. I've got a question for any takers:

I've read about some people modding the DAC-AH, especially upgrading the capacitors. But how does the unit sound out of the box? One much advertised mod package out there runs in the $350 range. After shipping costs, we're at $525-$600 easily. If I upgrade that way, I feel I might as well get a Scott Nixon TubeDac+ or similar. I don't know if my local stereo shop will upgrade just the caps for me. Does it sound ok out of the box? I'm trying to improve the sound of my Squeezebox2.

i'm still using my Lite DAC-AH straight out of the box unmodded and I think it's the best DAC in my house, over any integrated DAC here (EMU0404, what i remember of the 3960, on and on).

Oct 1, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #140 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i'm still using my Lite DAC-AH straight out of the box unmodded and I think it's the best DAC in my house, over any integrated DAC here (EMU0404, what i remember of the 3960, on and on).

Why don't you volunteer to be the guinea pig and send your DAC-AH to ReferenceAudioMods for their DAC-AH mods, which I believe are the cheapest mod package they have ever offered.

It's very tempting, especially if you say the stock is a good platform to begin with...

Oct 1, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #141 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

Is there full support for HDCD? And what is the dac? 20/48?

Oct 1, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #142 of 142
Nonoversampling doesn't use digital filter so no HDCD. This philips DAC chip is 16bit and handles the sample rate it's given which is limited by the digital receiver chip. In the case if CS8414 it's 96khz I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back