Audio Mirror NOS DAC
Sep 16, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #121 of 142
In case you missed it in the comp thread I'll post here too-

Lite DAC just came, i hooked it to Pinkie - channel 2. HP2's as the headphone.

Channel 1 = modded 0404 analog out to Solo. headphile breakout Blacksilver.

Channel 2 = modded 0404 optical digital out to Lite DAC to Solo. audioquest diamondback ICs

yep, i can tell that with the DAC the bass is bigger without being sloppy. the impact is just as big, but doesn't seem as agressive. i am hearing a smoothing on the highs, not sure if that's less etchy or more smeared right now.

the wierdest thing is that the center of my head's soundstage doesn't seem as crowded. before the imaging around my head was more narrow, but now it's like it's emptier and certain instruments are more in the background, not hiding, but just further away. dunno if i like that yet or not, because it can feel like a hole in my soundstage with some tunes because of that right now. i guess i'm used to having the "crowded elevator" sound hehe.

i think it needs more burn in, because there seems to be a slight film on some tunes, not as clean - again, may just be due to the feel of less resolution b/c of the lessened treble. i'll give it more time!

depeche mode's "i feel you" remixed by renegade soundwave just came on and it's big blasting bass is far more cannonlike with the DAC - but still has a bit of smear up top, guess i'm used to the more etchy 0404 still, considering it a pleasing agressive sound. remember my 0404 is modded so ymmv. i anticipate the sound to clean and tighten and deepen once the caps burn in.

Edit- Next day. i got to thinking - i need to wean myself off of a compressed digital signal hehe - i think the DAC sounded more "natural" than I'm used to. again, i'm going to wait until it's properly warmed up for me to call if the sound changes and if the final comparo shows that i like or don't like the new sound (it's definitely different).

Sep 16, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #123 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Photos of Moodlab TDA1543 and Mhdt Lab Dialogue II

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=173

Wow! The Moodlab is a lot smaller than I thought, I figured it was about the same size as the Dialogue II and it's not very big itself. Any first impressions?

Sep 16, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #124 of 142
Yes, the Moodlab is tiny. Also, no power switch.

I'm switching between the Dialogue II and Moodlab using the CDPs as transports. It's a bit of a pain to unplug and plug the cables.

I'll also use the 1212m coaxial output to compare the two, and also compare the Moodlab on coaxial with the Dialogue II on toslink.

I'll hold off more comments until I've had plenty of listening time. Both sound very good. I do know I'm definitely not going back to the 1212m analog out.

Sep 16, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #125 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Yes, the Moodlab is tiny. Also, no power switch.

I'm switching between the Dialogue II and Moodlab using the CDPs as transports. It's a bit of a pain to unplug and plug the cables.

I'll also use the 1212m coaxial output to compare the two, and also compare the Moodlab on coaxial with the Dialogue II on toslink.

I'll hold off more comments until I've had plenty of listening time. Both sound very good. I do know I'm definitely not going back to the 1212m analog out.

Your a tease!
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #127 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
the wierdest thing is that the center of my head's soundstage doesn't seem as crowded. before the imaging around my head was more narrow, but now it's like it's emptier and certain instruments are more in the background, not hiding, but just further away. dunno if i like that yet or not, because it can feel like a hole in my soundstage with some tunes because of that right now. i guess i'm used to having the "crowded elevator" sound hehe.

I felt that the stock DAC-AH had an odd concave quality to the soundstage. Certain guitars and other instruments always seemed a tad closer than they should of compared to vocals and drums. It was subtle, but I could never get used to it. This was my biggest complaint about the DAC.

Sep 16, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #128 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
I felt that the stock DAC-AH had an odd concave quality to the soundstage. Certain guitars and other instruments always seemed a tad closer than they should of compared to vocals and drums. It was subtle, but I could never get used to it. This was my biggest complaint about the DAC.

Hmm that very well might be the case- it might not go away then eh? We'll have to see if it bugs me in the long term or not then - the 0404 doesn't have that curiosity to it.

Sep 16, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #129 of 142
Quote:

Hmm that very well might be the case- it might not go away then eh? We'll have to see if it bugs me in the long term or not then - the 0404 doesn't have that curiosity to it.

It did not go away with burn in. I believe the concave soundstage in my unit disappeared with modding, but it is possible my ears adapted to the sound. I noticed the biggest changes with the removal of the analog output stage and I believe this is what cured the problem.

Sep 16, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #130 of 142
Quote:

It did not go away with burn in. I believe the concave soundstage in my unit disappeared with modding, but it is possible my ears adapted to the sound. I noticed the biggest changes with the removal of the analog output stage and I believe this is what cured the problem.

Hmm or even bypassing the opamps and sticking a resistor in there, and thus not using half of what's in the box - surely that might get rid of it. i'm not joking, i think i might look into this after the DAC finishes burn in and i'm still hearing it (if).

Sep 16, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #131 of 142
Quote:

Hmm or even bypassing the opamps and sticking a resistor in there, and thus not using half of what's in the box - surely that might get rid of it. i'm not joking, i think i might look into this after the DAC finishes burn in and i'm still hearing it (if).

The opamps are soldered in so removing them requires a bit of work.

To quickly bypass the output stage all you need is 2 coupling caps, 2 resistors and maybe 2 pieces of wire. There are already holes in the PCB right after the TDA1543s. Disconnect the output stage wires from the RCAs. Use the coupling caps to connect the holes in the PCB to the RCAs. The resistors go from signal to ground on the RCAs. Thats it. If you like it I recommend you also disconnect power to the analog stage as it is no longer needed.

There are a lot more mods you can do, but they are a little more complex.

Sep 16, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #132 of 142
Quote:

The opamps are soldered in so removing them requires a bit of work.

To quickly bypass the output stage all you need is 2 coupling caps, 2 resistors and maybe 2 pieces of wire. There are already holes in the PCB right after the TDA1543s. Disconnect the output stage wires from the RCAs. Use the coupling caps to connect the holes in the PCB to the RCAs. The resistors go from signal to ground on the RCAs. Thats it. If you like it I recommend you also disconnect power to the analog stage as it is no longer needed.

There are a lot more mods you can do, but they are a little more complex.

Hmm the possibilities are endless...thanks for the suggestions, looks like I'm not done with this hobby yet!

Sep 17, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #133 of 142
i actually laughed out loud when i heard "Stream" live at luther college with tim reynolds and dave matthews. it was AWESOME with this DAC! so much impact and detail! bass even with acoustic guitar was fast with great PRaT and the soundstage was totally different than i was used to - this thing has alot of potential. it's really starting to gel with my rig, maybe i should rethink selling Pinkie hehe...

Sep 17, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #135 of 142
Quote:

I am glad to finally have another DAC-AH fan around here.

What amp are you planning on replacing Pinkie with?

ah i shouldnt say yet lest it get sold before i get payment for pinkie and send it - it's still only payment pending on my end
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back