Audio latency issues using DAC/Amp on Windows PC. Is there a work around?
Mar 16, 2023 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Azonic

New Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I have my Windows 10 laptop hooked up to a SMSL DP5, which is plugged in to an SMSL SP400 headphone amp via XLR. I then run XLR cables out the back of that to a pair of active monitor speakers or plug headphones in to the front of the unit. Since I've had this setup i've noticed a slight delay with the audio compared to the video on screen. I can appreciate this is the probably the price of feeding audio through multiple external devices before it reaches my ears however I was wondering if there's any work around for this?

If I'm using a video player like VLC or Pot Player I can advance the audio slightly in the settings so it syncs the audio/video perfectly however I was wondering if there was a more general solution? It would be nice to have YouTube videos synced, as well as PC games and the like. Is there a program out there that can delay all video or advance the audio by like 0.10 seconds perhaps? What have other people done to mitigate the audio latency issue? Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 9
Just confirming, do you have Spatial sound off and audio enhancements disabled? And what is your sample rate set at?

Mar 17, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 9
Just confirming, do you have Spatial sound off and audio enhancements disabled? And what is your sample rate set at?
Hi there, yes Spacial Sound is turned off, sample rate is set to 32 bit, 96.0khz. I don't believe I have any audio enhancements on that i'm aware of. Do you think turning the sample rate down would make a considerable difference?

Mar 17, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 9
Mar 17, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm unsure if I've done this already, as far as i'm aware I have installed the driver recommended by SMSL - https://www.smsl-audio.com/upload/portal/download/SMSLUSBAudioDriverV512.rar (XMOS_USBAudio_v5.12.0_2021-05-30) is this an ASIO driver?

Could you direct me as to how to do that? Sorry i'm fairly inexperienced with this stuff.

Thanks for the responses.
I don't believe WASAPI exclusive is a global fix, the player you are using has to support it, and games do not. ASIO is also not supported in games.

Using SPDIF will likely result in lower latency than USB but since you are using a laptop that is probably not an option. Using a DAC will always add latency as any conversion to analogue can cause delays but that should not be noticeable, have you tried plugging headphones directly into the laptop to verify the delay is in fact caused by the dac?.

Try to lower the audio buffer size to the lowest you can before the audio starts to drop out, but keep in mind that especially for gaming, a lower buffer size takes up more resources (increased frequency of communication). I suggest trying 128 samples and adjusting from there. If that does not work try going into BIOS and disabling HPET and see if that helps, there is a debate around it.

Mar 17, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #8 of 9
Hi there, yes Spacial Sound is turned off, sample rate is set to 32 bit, 96.0khz. I don't believe I have any audio enhancements on that i'm aware of. Do you think turning the sample rate down would make a considerable difference?
I would try 16 44 just to see if it helps.

Mar 18, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 9
I'd try to contact SMSL and ask if there is a lower latency method (could be a particular input/output, could be something about output resolution, fixed sample rate, reconstruction filter...). I read the manual online and there is nothing obvious on the subject, but it does not mean they don't know about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back