Audio Grade Fuses
Oct 5, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #271 of 792
So, Black Stuart, you've been impressed with Furutech fuses in the past, but now are saying Furutech are snake oil merchants because they use rhodium plating?

Furutech give users the choice of gold or rhodium plating on many of their plugs and sockets. Some users prefer one over the other, there doesn't appear to be a clear winner, although the consensus is that gold gives a warmer sound. I'll reserve my own judgment until I've tried them myself.

Most of the posters here have already got the memo about expectation bias - many times. The variety of opinions posted here show that we are quite capable of making up our own minds irrespective of marketing hype or skeptics trolling.

FWIW, I've been told that the harder rhodium plating can be made thinner than for gold, which negates the resistance issue. I don't know if that's a factor or not, but is an example of not basing decisions on simple electrical theory. It's the end result that counts.

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #272 of 792
Just got a SR red fuse last week, swapped out a supreme fuse for my DAC and I thought the results was unsatisfying. First the sound became thinner and the vocals were pushed back. Overall, the sound was less organic and less musical. Then I swapped back the Supreme fuse to my DAC and put the SR red for my AMR Dp777 which I use for preamp and out came the original AMR gold fuse. I was stunned by the change. The sound became organic, realistic and musical again, but in spades! After hearing the latest sound, I know I am done with the fuses asI just love it. From my experience, I think one simply just have to experiment the fuses in their own set up to find out what they like which is probably why there are so many polarized reviews. It has been a fun ride :)

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #273 of 792
The Attorney,
sorry to burst your balloon but conductivity still applies regardless of the microns involved, it's basic science and many are influenced by snake oil salemen who otherwise would go out of business.

A fuse is no different from any other component it should not influence or change any information directly or indirectly - unless you want it to, which is fine if that's what you want - I have no time for the fascist style police.

There are those who will pay loads of money for RCA/XLR  plugs but what is their actual function - to connect one piece of equipment to another with the least interference with the signal they are conveying. Superb engineering is irrelevant if this function is achieved simply and economically. likewise a sexy appearance - unless you listen to your music from  behind the equipment rack.

I like those original Furutechs because they are made using sound scientific principles and it can be heard. It is easy to become very anal about such things, now I just enjoy the music. To each their own.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #274 of 792
I could no longer resist the temptation to try for myself the controversial SR Red fuse.

So, after first checking with the UK supplier (analogueseduction) that I could return the ones I didn't like, I've ordered a pair of Reds and also Supremes.
So for the first time, I'll be able to directly compare audiophile fuses against each other: The Reds vs Supremes vs my existing AMRs. Will report back in a couple of weeks or so.

I'll tell you what though, when I saw the total price of these posher fuses, gulp, they damn well better be better than the AMRs!

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #275 of 792
Just for reassurance, my full refund on the SR-Red went through successfully. The dealer insisted I let it burn-in which I had obliged, and then returned it.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #277 of 792
Hi people of sound, Ive entered the world of Hifi audio fuses prabably an obsessive expensive mistake Im sure! lol So far Ive tried the Hifi gold tunning fuse & the Iso Clean. I thought the Hifi gold tunning was to smooth/soft….it had a nice sound but lacked midrange.treble sparkle, where as the Iso clean has this with ease & I generally like it to what it has done to my sound. Im also thinking of buying the Russ Andrews fuse as Im curious about this one, I cant seem to find much reviews or opinions on this one but I like what it says on the website so im thinking about giving it a shot! Anyone tried the Russ Andrews thoughts & opinions compared to  the Iso clean?  Cheerz guys!

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #278 of 792
What are the impressions on the Synergistic Research RED fuses. Have not got them yet:frowning2:

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #280 of 792
Further to my earlier post, I did compare SR Red vs Supreme vs AMR in the Output of my BHSE Power Supply.

There were other changes going on during the trial period, so I wouldn't class my impressions as definitive, but FWIW the Reds won easily, making the sound clearer, more natural, with with a larger soundstage with more precise images. The advantages were so strong over the Supremes that I didn't really bother much further into working out where the Supremes were vs AMRs, both seemed in the same ballpark with each other compared to the Reds. 

The Reds did have reduced upper frequencies compared to the Supremes. I didn't have the time nor inclination to work out if this was them being just ultra refined, or if there was an actual reduction in upper frequency response. So the Reds not recommended for those wanting a more forward sound.

I'm not even through the burn in phase yet, so I don't know what may change with time, but I made my decision early and the Supremes were sent back (and I got my money back as the supplier had promised).

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #281 of 792
Thanks for the impressions. Having recently bought another Supreme for my Theta DAC, I utterly disliked it for the first few days that I almost took it out. Well actually I did, but I put it back as I was reminded by my previous experience with a HFT in my amplifier. After a couple of weeks which was a couple of nights ago, I compared the HFT again with the stock fuse, and the HFT is way better, as it should be. It is simultaneously detailed, clear and very musical with better layering. The highs are no longer harsh, but retained the detail.

This is one of the big fuses, 32mm and for whatever reason considerably more expensive. I would have returned it immediately if it sounded like at first.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #282 of 792
I came across a comment somewhere that the Reds require above average burn-in, 150-200 hours. 
With a tube based amp, that would take many weeks (if not months) to complete for me. It could be, that after that length of time, my opinion of these fuses would have changed, but I just couldn't wait that long. Much easier if they can be left on continuously.

BTW, during the trial, I was following the feeding frenzy HOTing up in the Sound Science forum, which didn't put SR in a good light on another of their products, but in the end I had to go with what my ears were telling me.  

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #283 of 792
I'm on the rational-skeptic end of the spectrum i.e. willing to try something for myself after reading all the scientific/experience based critiques - if the price is right. So for the heck of it I purchased some silver fuses and some generic ceramic sand filled fuses. On the latter I was thinking of the claims that fuse geometry impacts vibration imparted by AC cycle. The sand should act as a damper right? Again just
satisfying my urge to tinker
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #284 of 792
So, BeatsWork, you're trying to apply rational thought to audiophile fuses. Are you mad?!?
Everybody knows that the only law of physics that applies to audiophile fuses is the Law of Unintended Consequences.

But if you must persist in rational thought, you should consider if these fuses have UL or CE safety approval.
Personally, I'd avoid sand filled fuses because this will almost certainly affect the temperature and therefore the burn rate of the fuse wire. Unless the manufacturer has taken this into account, the chances are that the fuse will fail at a different point than specified.

Here ends my only rational thought for today.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #285 of 792
  So, BeatsWork, you're trying to apply rational thought to audiophile fuses. Are you mad?!?
Everybody knows that the only law of physics that applies to audiophile fuses is the Law of Unintended Consequences.

But if you must persist in rational thought, you should consider if these fuses have UL or CE safety approval.
Personally, I'd avoid sand filled fuses because this will almost certainly affect the temperature and therefore the burn rate of the fuse wire. Unless the manufacturer has taken this into account, the chances are that the fuse will fail at a different point than specified.

Here ends my only rational thought for today.

I absolutely checked the specs for fast-acting ceramic and only buy gear with UL/CE after a bad experience <insert smoking emoticon>. Agree you don't value the certification until well... you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back