Audio Grade Fuses
Sep 15, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #241 of 804
The SR Red fuse was recently reviewed at Positive-Feedback. The reviewer preferred it to his previous favourite Platinum "more than a fuse", which he preferred over the Supreme.
Which makes me also curious. The Quantum fuse did seem to polarize opinion.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #242 of 804
  The SR Red fuse was recently reviewed at Positive-Feedback. The reviewer preferred it to his previous favourite Platinum "more than a fuse", which he preferred over the Supreme.
Which makes me also curious. The Quantum fuse did seem to polarize opinion.

I bought the SR Red at a local meet as they were on discount. I am fuming due to wasting £50 on it. It is actually so bad it is not even subtle how it killed my amp's treble detail and extension. It was an What moment... and switched back a couple of times to the stock Bussman trying as usual the reverse position as well. No different. I wonder what materials they are using inside it? Straws?

I did not like the SR-20s very much, because they expand the sound stage to an unnatural and constant big size, mess up imaging and it was softening transients. All of which are wrong things to have, unless one needs those specific tweaks for whatever reason. But at least these were better than stock fuses in overall clarity and did some things well.

The SR Red however is a disaster sound wise in my system... Is it possible I received a "lemon"? I may not even be able to return it as with all the SR fuses they are slightly wider and get scratched as soon as inserted in the slot.

I have also bought the Russs Andrews mains "Superfuse". I haven't A/B'ed this one properly yet, due to how pissed off I was with the SR Red, but first impressions were good with the Russ Andrews compared to stock fuse.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #243 of 804
Blimey! I wasn't expecting quite such a negative respose. I was close to trying one myself.

Looks like you've got grounds for getting your money back - if you can be bothered with the faffing around. I'd like to hear SR's response to this. They claim to offer a money back service. From the SR website:

If you haven’t already auditioned our amazing new RED fuses in your system contact an authorized Synergistic Research dealer or distributor today for a no-risk 30-day in-home trial. All SR RED Fuse values are sold with a 30-day no-risk money back guarantee. With Synergistic Research RED Fuses you have everything to gain and nothing to lose except of course yesterday’s performance robbing fuses, guaranteed!

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #244 of 804
Many thanks for that. I have requested a return based on the SR guarantee and will revert with how it turns out as well as impressions on the Russ Andrews fuse.

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #245 of 804

I bought the SR Red at a local meet as they were on discount. I am fuming due to wasting £50 on it. It is actually so bad it is not even subtle how it killed my amp's treble detail and extension. It was an What moment... and switched back a couple of times to the stock Bussman trying as usual the reverse position as well. No different. I wonder what materials they are using inside it? Straws?

I did not like the SR-20s very much, because they expand the sound stage to an unnatural and constant big size, mess up imaging and it was softening transients. All of which are wrong things to have, unless one needs those specific tweaks for whatever reason. But at least these were better than stock fuses in overall clarity and did some things well.

The SR Red however is a disaster sound wise in my system... Is it possible I received a "lemon"? I may not even be able to return it as with all the SR fuses they are slightly wider and get scratched as soon as inserted in the slot.

I have also bought the Russs Andrews mains "Superfuse". I haven't A/B'ed this one properly yet, due to how pissed off I was with the SR Red, but first impressions were good with the Russ Andrews compared to stock fuse.

Interesting.  My experience was just the opposite.  I find the SR Red to be the best fuse I have yet to hear in my ECBA.

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #246 of 804

Interesting.  My experience was just the opposite.  I find the SR Red to be the best fuse I have yet to hear in my ECBA.

- Did it need a long burn-in?
- And did it sound night and day different after burn-in, resolving the nasty treble rolloff I've been hearing?

I am struggling to commit to put it back in my amp.

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #247 of 804
For me, it sounded good right out of the box and continues to improve in realism, air and soundstage depth.  I think fuses are like power cables - very system dependent.

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #248 of 804
Must be. I am using it in a Furutech aftermarket UK mains plug, if it helps anyone. I use the cable to power my KGSSHV.

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #249 of 804
Many thanks for that. I have requested a return based on the SR guarantee and will revert with how it turns out as well as impressions on the Russ Andrews fuse.

Try rotating it.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #250 of 804
That I have tried already with it granting no improvements in this case.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #251 of 804

I had similar results with the synergistic fuses myself . I returned the fuses that I tried . I have hifi tuning supreme fuses in most of my equipment but I have recently tried the isoclean fuses in my vintage receiver. I am thinking they may be better than the supreme fuses in some ways. I think they may be more open sounding and have better soundstage reproduction based on what they have done with my receiver.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #252 of 804

I had similar results with the synergistic fuses myself . I returned the fuses that I tried . I have hifi tuning supreme fuses in most of my equipment but I have recently tried the isoclean fuses in my vintage receiver. I am thinking they may be better than the supreme fuses in some ways. I think they may be more open sounding and have better soundstage reproduction based on what they have done with my receiver.

My go-to fuses are also the Hi Fi Tuning Supremes. I really like the sound articulation, detail, speed and sound stage on the Supremes. I was hoping that the SR Red would be comparable or better, I guess also given their marketing targets Hifi Tuning directly. That assertion was obviously not the case in my experience. I am also using AHP and AMR fuses in less significant gear, but they're not on par with the HFT S.

Would you say the Iso Clean are also detailed, neutral and crisp sounding fuses?

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #254 of 804
I found the hi-fi tuning supreme to be slow, rolled off and unexciting.  

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #255 of 804
This is a joke right? 17 pages of lulz? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back