Audio Grade Fuses
Sep 26, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #257 of 792
I was one of the first to introduce the AMR fuse to this thread. It's main claim to fame being that it is substantially cheaper than the usual suspects. Since then, various opinions have been stated, and the consensus seems to be that the AMR is a bit warm and soft and ultimately not a match for the best out there.

I haven't directly compared models to agree or not with that consensus, but the following observation got me thinking:

A while back, I replaced my BHSE's AC power input stock fuses with AMRs with total success:  i.e. a subtle all round improvement with absolutely no down side.

More recently, I did the same swap at the other end of the amp: there are two fuses that help protect the amp from tube failure. I don't know the design details, so not sure if this location is pure DC or signal modulated, but whatever, it's not mains AC.  When I first swapped in the AMRs, I got a mixed result: the sound did get a bit too smooth and the improvement over stock was not clear cut. Then I changed the fuse direction and the system just woke up with a more dynamic "live" and detailed sound. This was clearly better, but there was a partial downside in that it slightly exacerbated bright recordings - completely contrary to AMR's warm reputation. I like my hifi tweaks to have no downside at all, i.e. the dynamics without the brightness. So I was considering the new SR Red, as the pf review said all the right words, but negura's experience has caused me to pause.

So, any suggestions as to what to try? I realise I'll probably get 8 conflicting recommendations :wink:

I should add that it is particularly important for the fuse to meet its spec in this location. E.g. it must be fast blow, which is not an available option with some models (including AMRs, so I was only trying them as a temporary test). The reported comments about UL conformance are a real concern, although not the whole story.

Sep 26, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #258 of 792
It also depends on your gear. The KGSSHV is slightly warm sounding with outstanding bass. I use the HFT Supreme in the amp and Russ Andrews Superfuse in the mains chord. They are both very detailed fast and transparent. I personally dont really like slow and warm fuses no matter of the gear.

You could try the AHP fuses. They are middle of the way imo. PS Audio uses them in their Dacs.

I've tried again the SR Red fuse last night, this time in my DAC mains plug. I still do not like it. Decent mids, BIG soundstage, but that's it.

I'd rate my preference in mains plug fuses like this:
Russ Andrews >> Bussman stock* = Hifi Tuning Gold >= SR Red

On my speaker gear:
Hifi Tuning Gold > SR Red

*I have two of these from Furutech plugs, so I don't know if they did anything fancy to them like plating/cryo/wtvr. But this fuse sounds very decent. That is as opposed to other stock fuses which sound dirty and generally horrible.

Internal to device fuses:
Hi Fi Tuning Supreme > AHP > AMR > SR-20 > stock clear glass fuse

A separate finding is that the more transparent the system is, the higher the impact fuses make. My experience is the same with both my headphones and speakers rigs. It is actually ridiculous that fuses have this impact on gear this expensive.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #259 of 792
Great to get your take on fuses Negura :)
I really appreciate everyone who has shared their experiences with fuses.

Synergy Hifi
I've only tried one fuse in the Conductor - the Synergy Hifi fuse. They're a Chinese company that cost Euro$24. (The US$10 'Create Audio' fuses on the VALAB ebay site are knock offs based on these.) They made a substantial difference to the stock fuse. i was very happy with the improvements in resolution and dynamics. But obviously, without other comparisons, that means bugger all. I wasn't able to see much feedback online, so may well not be well regarded. Synergy Hifi's tubes were favourably reviewed on a few sites like 6Moons, so that gave me some confidence to try.. So if anyone is looking to try something different, I'd say give them a whirl.

http://www.synergyhifi.eu/#a_hififuse

AMR
I was happy with the AMR fuses I put into my Galllo sub and just recently, my monoblocks (SS). But again - I haven't compared them with any other after-market fuse.

Burn-in
I didn't notice any changes with the Synergy Hifi fuse in the Conductor. But the AMR fuses in the monoblocks do seem to need some burn in time (hard to be sure given software changes).

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #260 of 792
Why on earth do Brits carry on using the fused 3 pin plugs, they just are'nt nec. at all. I moved to the mainland over 13 years ago and bought myself a really cheap dis.block from Lidls. It out-performs a very expensive UK dis-block. Nobody in Europe has any problems using Schuko plugs which have no fuses. Why do you want to go on using fuses especially expensive ones, just crazy.

As to using Russ Andrews hugely over priced components - LOL.

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #262 of 792
  Why on earth do Brits carry on using the fused 3 pin plugs, they just are'nt nec. at all. I moved to the mainland over 13 years ago and bought myself a really cheap dis.block from Lidls. It out-performs a very expensive UK dis-block. Nobody in Europe has any problems using Schuko plugs which have no fuses. Why do you want to go on using fuses especially expensive ones, just crazy.

As to using Russ Andrews hugely over priced components - LOL.

Yes fused mains plugs are silly. I have considered switching to an EU block for audio, but it's not like the EU plugs are a perfect solution. How do you ensure you're not plugging out of phase?

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #263 of 792
You check the wire position on your plug and your main. Also you could use tester to check the wire position. Make sure you mark the side with red wire once you worked it out. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #264 of 792
When I first swapped in the AMRs, I got a mixed result: the sound did get a bit too smooth and the improvement over stock was not clear cut. Then I changed the fuse direction and the system just woke up with a more dynamic "live" and detailed sound. This was clearly better, but there was a partial downside in that it slightly exacerbated bright recordings - completely contrary to AMR's warm reputation. I like my hifi tweaks to have no downside at all, i.e. the dynamics without the brightness. So I was considering the new SR Red, as the pf review said all the right words, but negura's experience has caused me to pause.

It also depends on your gear. The KGSSHV is slightly warm sounding with outstanding bass. I use the HFT Supreme in the amp and Russ Andrews Superfuse in the mains chord. They are both very detailed fast and transparent. I personally dont really like slow and warm fuses no matter of the gear.

You could try the AHP fuses. They are middle of the way imo. PS Audio uses them in their Dacs.

I've tried again the SR Red fuse last night, this time in my DAC mains plug. I still do not like it. Decent mids, BIG soundstage, but that's it.

I'd rate my preference in mains plug fuses like this:
Russ Andrews >> Bussman stock* = Hifi Tuning Gold >= SR Red

On my speaker gear:
Hifi Tuning Gold > SR Red

ooohh  that's your personal taste, you like silver  which fast detail transparent. Others perhaps will like SR because more warm, holographic, big soundstage. It depend the system and taste.

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #265 of 792

ooohh  that's your personal taste .... you like silver  ... fast detail transparent .. others perhaps will like SR because more warm, holographic,  .... 

I thought that was made very clear. 
beerchug.gif

Fortunately warm and holographic come with cheaper materials, like copper. That's one pragmatic reason why I don't get why the SR cost what they do. AMR on the other hand, fair game within that price range.

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #266 of 792
negura,
sleepy one gave you an answer that should relieve any doubts you have. Some years ago now a new design of Schuko was introduced, the old ones were an absolute bugger to wire up. It really is a no brainer. If you make the move don't get conned into buying an expensive dis-block. A dis-block has a very simple function and that's it. The LAT International dis-block I bought did'nt even have any surge control built into it whereas the Lidls cheap as chips one did and the spring clips were copper, which I protected from oxidisation with a dilute coating of Pro-Gold, absolutely no need to use it straight, just dilute with alcohol..

I should add that I'm definately one who has heard the difference that good fuses make. Thanks to a Dutch friend who made me a present of 2 Furutech fuses some years ago.

Also I must introduce something that many will disagree with - the higher the fuse rating the better your gear will sound but you must have the expertise to be able to measure the voltages in your amp and to know absolutely that it is stable in operation, you'd be surprised how much commercial gear does'nt fulfill that criteria.

I've always been surprised that all those who moan about the 'dirty mains' don't do something about it namely buy yourself a BPS - balanced power supply which by it's function cancels out noise and gives protection from power surges - IMO this is where building a sound system should start. There is a company in the south where you can buy one ITRO £220 or you can buy a Russ Abbot one or similar in the US for 10 times that price.

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #267 of 792
I've used a balanced PSU in the past, but it was mainly for the purpose of voltage conversion powering US equipment. Once I had the equipment rewired to EU voltage and plugged directly into the mains I cannot say I noticed a drop in quality, but there are several variables here.

Where would you buy balanced PSUs anyway? 

This is where I bought from in the past and they make euro plugs models too:
http://www.airlinktransformers.com/balanced_power_supply/standard_balanced_power_supplies/BPS1506/
http://www.airlinktransformers.com/balanced_power_supply/standard_balanced_power_supplies/BPS1502/

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #268 of 792
First I must apologise to Russ Abbot who is a very good comedian and not a snake oil salesman.

Negura - that's the company - Airlink Transformers. Sadly I see their prices have rocketed. As their BPS gained popularity so they have raised their prices, an all too common practice in rip-off Britain. If I can I buy in the US or the far East and I never get ripped off on shipping charges.

I should be building my own house within 2 years and whether I get connected to EDF or go off-grid I shall be using batteries with a pure sine wave inverter that also has voltage regulation, not only very good for my sound system but for all electrical equipment.

I did buy from Hong Kong a small populated PCB that like a BPS cancels out any noise as well surge control. I hav'nt had a chance to use it yet but I see no reason why it should'nt work. Just connect mains cable at both ends. Ive checked out the components used and they are correct.

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #269 of 792
Meanwhile this could be interesting, surprisingly this is an American website, and nowhere I could find it in the UK:

http://www.vhaudio.com/fuses.html#hififuses
Furutech's T series fuses are made with similar construction as the TF series above, but use a slo-blo pure silver conductor, rhodium plated contacts, and has been cryogenically treated and demagnetized by Furutech. Dimensions are 6.4mm X 25mm. Fits Furutech U.K. male AC connectors.

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #270 of 792
Hi negura,
silly money and I would'nt touch anything with rhodium plating a completely hyped metal with conductivity way below copper, gold or silver. I once wasted money trying rhodium plated plugs, yeilding a brittle and slightly distorted sound. There are so many products that set out to fleece joe the punter. The problem is that so many are willing to believe what they are told, a bit like religion and politics.

I once bought into some Dutch hand made silver foil caps that were an outrageous price, only to read a thread on diyaudio about K73-16 Russian mil. spec caps. The silver foil caps were very,very good but for absolute neutrality and a capacitor version of Z foils they cannot be beat. All the useful values have now disappeared and they literally were pennies and their construction was way above caps produced in the west. I think I will stick with the Furutechs I have been using for a few years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back