Audio-gd USB-32 Firmware, Drivers, and Feedback Thread
Jan 21, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #151 of 646
  It's not only Windows related. I'm using deadbeef, mplayer and audacious on Linux for playing music and I can't play 192khz files.
EDIT: Maybe your banshee is resampling? Because bitperfect 192khz playback is not working for me.

Its possible, I am not a Banshee expert by any stretch.  When I looked around in the settings I didn't see any for resampling or downsampling but it could be doing it automatically. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #152 of 646

Its possible, I am not a Banshee expert by any stretch.  When I looked around in the settings I didn't see any for resampling or downsampling but it could be doing it automatically. 

Just do the following :
cat /proc/asound/cardX/stream0  (Replace X with your card number)

Your going to see pretty quickly exactly what bit rate and frequency your USB device is at.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #153 of 646
Last night Kingwa sent me newer prototype USB firmware from VIA to try in the Master 7 to restore 192Khz playback.  It works OK in my Windows 7 64 system and currently evaluating sound quality as well operational performance.  Kingwa didn't say in the Email but he is probably testing this firmware for all his products and if all goes well release in a short period time.  I gave Kingwa a thumbs up from my testing up to this point.

So new firmware load with the same 2014 Windows driver is the more than likely the permanent solution.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #154 of 646
Quick question for Windows users:

Under the Audio_gd properties (Windows Mixer) in the advanced tab there is a subsection called Signal enhancements, and "Enable audio enhancements" was the ticked as the default setting upon installing the Audio_gd drivers. Should we select it or not; also, does anybody have any idea what on earth it does? I know it's not Windows DSP/processing the signal, so what is it?

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #155 of 646
So new firmware load with the same 2014 Windows driver is the more than likely the permanent solution.

Great.  I look forward to hearing your comparisons.  I'll email Kingwa a request later this week.

Just do the following :
cat /proc/asound/cardX/stream0  (Replace X with your card number)

Your going to see pretty quickly exactly what bit rate and frequency your USB device is at.

Sweet.  I'll try it out as soon as I fix the mess that Ubuntu 13.10 has created.  I updated from 12.10 to 13.10 last night in order to try out J River on Linux.  I ran into a host of ridiculous issues from not being able to to boot to the Grub boot manager to having to install mint display manager because light display manager wouldn't work anymore.  I have installed quite a few Linux distros including a couple Ubuntu version but this is by far the worst install experience ever.  I have to fix everything. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #156 of 646
  Last night Kingwa sent me newer prototype USB firmware from VIA to try in the Master 7 to restore 192Khz playback.  It works OK in my Windows 7 64 system and currently evaluating sound quality as well operational performance.  Kingwa didn't say in the Email but he is probably testing this firmware for all his products and if all goes well release in a short period time.  I gave Kingwa a thumbs up from my testing up to this point.

I think i am going to need to resort to buying a new F/W chip. Update won't seem to work via Virtualbox.
I don't have any Windows or Mac machines.

Given what you have said about I may wait for that F/W version... (Just in case , since I will be paying I don't want beta) 

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #158 of 646
I now have 192khz playback working. All other sample rates works as well. The SQ is now again dynamic (I felt a narrow dynamic range with the previous firmware). Good job Kingwa!

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #162 of 646
You can or should be able to change bitrates within your playback software which is a better option.  The new driver behaves more like a pass through instead of changing bitrates and and bitdepth itself.  That control panel really shouldn't be there anymore, I'd contact Kingwa.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #164 of 646
Getting some crackling with ASIO using JRiver 17 on V2. Kernal Streaming seems solid.

Edit- after a pause the music played back sped up like the turn-table was cranked. Very strange.

Restart the DAC. I get this once in awhile but I'm using older driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back