Audio-gd USB-32 Firmware, Drivers, and Feedback Thread
Jan 19, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #136 of 646
Hi,

I own a reference7.1 modified with the usb32 chip. Yesterday I installed the firmware and driver 2014. 
The sound is really different, more 3D; treble and medium are more "present" and up front and the bass is lower than with the driver 2.0, but more precis and faster.

Personally, last year I choose for the Audio-GD Reference7.1 with USB32 chip because I like the "sweet and warm sound" (that are not the only qualities of this unit).

So, really, I'm not sure sure I prefer the driver 2014 .... Yes sonically it is superior, better medium, faster bass ... but personnally I miss "something" in the sound, something I have with the driver2.0. I have the impression that the driver 2.0 is more "analog sound"

This is really a question of personal taste and I have to listen more, but I guess I prefer the driver 2.0 because it is sweeter and warmer and this is something I like.

By the way, I use JPLAY5.2, and kernell streaming.

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #137 of 646
Feedback... in the Master 7 the 2014 USB32 firmware sounds much better than the early 2013 version.  I notice an immediate difference in sound for the better.  Less grain, more open, wider stage.  Better bass and smoother highs.  Great job Kingwa and think you have the  makings for a real winner here! 

I do have no playback with 192kHz audio files using Foobar2000 WASAPI event (or push).  I played with buffer sizes no help.  My computer has only USB2 ports running Win 7 64 Pro.  Not worried at the moment and enjoying great sound!

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #138 of 646
I had a problem under Windows 7, I can't change the volume from Windows.

Somedoby had this issue ?

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #141 of 646
  Hi,

I own a reference7.1 modified with the usb32 chip. Yesterday I installed the firmware and driver 2014. 
The sound is really different, more 3D; treble and medium are more "present" and up front and the bass is lower than with the driver 2.0, but more precis and faster.

Personally, last year I choose for the Audio-GD Reference7.1 with USB32 chip because I like the "sweet and warm sound" (that are not the only qualities of this unit).

So, really, I'm not sure sure I prefer the driver 2014 .... Yes sonically it is superior, better medium, faster bass ... but personnally I miss "something" in the sound, something I have with the driver2.0. I have the impression that the driver 2.0 is more "analog sound"

This is really a question of personal taste and I have to listen more, but I guess I prefer the driver 2.0 because it is sweeter and warmer and this is something I like.

By the way, I use JPLAY5.2, and kernell streaming.

Hi, I think I tend to agree with David's impressions. 2014 is a cleaner presentation but comes at the expense of losing some musicality. I need to do some more listening as well but I think I find the new driver fatiguing. My upgraded NFB2 has lost some smoothness, I agree with David that maybe 2013 is more analog or smoother presentation. I only listened for 20-30 minutes before listening fatigue set in.
Using Jriver 19.

I might be interested in reverting backward, how do i do that?  Thanks....

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #143 of 646
Just did the upgrade to firmware 2014 on my nfb-15.32
It seems that it opens the sound, more space around instruments and it does feel more alive.

Will wait a few days to see if anything "strange" happens and will do the same upgrade on 17.32...

For now it seems like a good upgrade!!!

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #144 of 646
Kingwa responded to my Email about no 192Khz playback with 2014 firmware.  A few hours ago he confirmed the issue on a Master 7 in his lab.  If I hear of any solutions or workarounds I will forward them here.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #145 of 646
That is great to hear.  I have a grand total of three 192 khz albums so its not like I'm hurting.  The new firmware is great and I'll be selling the Audiophilleo as I have not used it since I did comparisons between it and the upgraded the USB32.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #146 of 646
Last night I decided to bite the bullet and update the firmware/driver on my NFB-28 to 2014 version. The resulting sound is very good. Since I can't AB test the differences, I can't really comment on the sound quality changes. On my system, 24/192 playback is possible even without altering the ASIO buffer (kept it at default 512 samples).

I had a problem under Windows 7, I can't change the volume from Windows.

Somedoby had this issue ?

I have that too with Windows master volume control. I wonder if this is a bug, or maybe the new version somehow completely bypasses Windows audio. Note that local volume control (application based like Foobar or JRiver) can still control the volume. To control web browser sound, go to the Mixer section of your volume control.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #147 of 646
Kingwa responded again last night stating his team accepted and tested the 2014 firmware with ES9018 based DACs.   Since PCM1704 DACs are almost out of production his lab is clear of those products.   So perhaps the PCM1704 products suffer the most from no 192Khz playback.  Kingwa also said he will have to discuss with USB32 chip maker VIA for a solution and once remedied post a fix on the Audio GD web site.

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #148 of 646
The 192kHz playback issue is a windows driver issue i though? IE Mac/Linux won't suffer that issue?

I don't think updating via a VM works :

I get an error saying switching to DFU mode failed. Anyone seen this?

Will email Kingwa as well.

Nothing happens to the DAC I plug it back in and works like normal.

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #149 of 646
  The 192kHz playback issue is a windows driver issue i though? IE Mac/Linux won't suffer that issue?

I got 192 playback with Banshee media player on Linux so its definitely a Windows driver issue.  I may end up switching my server over to Linux completely (right now its on dual boot windows 8 and Ubuntu) provided that J River on Linux works to my satisfaction.

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #150 of 646
It's not only Windows related. I'm using deadbeef, mplayer and audacious on Linux for playing music and I can't play 192khz files.
EDIT: Maybe your banshee is resampling? Because bitperfect 192khz playback is not working for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back