Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Jul 1, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #2,597 of 2,738
Since audio-gd start to now, I always use the words " a little" and " slight" to answer customers question on " how much improve" .
I prefer give users a less expect rather than give a large expect .

I don't recommend the HE version because the cost is costly but the improve is a little or slight blacker on the background .

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #2,598 of 2,738
Thanks for the info kenvisor and Kingwa.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #2,599 of 2,738
A quick update here. I ordered and just received the I2S input mod kit from Kingwa. Basically, here is the kit with details (click image for higher res):

So, this little board allows for two extra selectable I2S inputs in addition to preserving the original I2S line.

The beauty of this is that the digitally selectable input front panels on Ref 7 and similar DACs can be modded to incorporate the two extra inputs with the addition of a few resistors, I believe the boards are provisioned for up to 9 inputs or something like that if I remember correctly. So, once everything's modded, the front panel selector will scroll through 1~7 or how many ever new inputs you want to have added.

Anyway, I was told this little mod board is what Kingwa is using to incorporate USB inputs on the latest batch of TE8802-enabled Ref 7.1s...

...WHICH, by the way, is different from the way it was done before (and until Kingwa ran out of these boards)... Check these photos out from the old Ref 7 and 8 pages:

Ref 7 USB version (click to enlarge):

Ref 8 USB version (click to enlarge):

What is different, you say? Note where the wires are heading to under the DSP-1 board from the USB input board... And compare the middle section (around the DSP-1) with the non-USB versions...

Reference 7.1, non-USB version:

Do you see the differences? :) When I asked Kingwa about the differences, here was his response:

[size=10.5pt]The image is a design compatibility PMD100 or DF1706.[/size]
[size=10.5pt]The image(1) is only can use the DSP1.[/size]

So, looks like there were two versions for the "digital mainboard", one with PMD100 or DF1706 capability and one solely for DSP-1. And, in the "official" USB versions of the past, the I2S lines of the PMD/DF section were being tapped directly from the USB board to provide for an additional I2S input without the need for a separate mod kit.

On a related but separate note... I sent in my old Ref 1 to be modded by Kingwa using the I2S input mod kit board so that in addition to the single SPDIF input, I can have two additional I2S inputs, one of which I have asked to be connected to an internal TE8802 board for 24/192 USB input and the other left as an RJ-45 I2S input connector for other external I2S devices. To facilitate input switching, Kingwa will install a 3-way toggle switch on the front panel for me as well.

Anyway, this is all very exciting for me - I look forward to receiving the modified Reference 1 back from Kingwa and doing some extensive comparison between quality DIR9001-based SPDIF input (fed by Audiophilleo) and various other I2S inputs including Audio-gd's TE8802 board. I will post my impressions here as soon as I can. Stay tuned... :)

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #2,600 of 2,738
Quote:
Anyway, this is all very exciting for me - I look forward to receiving the modified Reference 1 back from Kingwa and doing some extensive comparison between quality DIR9001-based SPDIF input (fed by Audiophilleo) and various other I2S inputs including Audio-gd's TE8802 board. I will post my impressions here as soon as I can. Stay tuned... :)

Im looking forward to reading your findings of the  Audiophilleo-DIR9001 (which Ive got) input versus the TE8802 board that Ive never heard.
Thanks for doing the testing.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #2,601 of 2,738
Quote:
NOS? Are you kidding? 
smile.gif

8x oversampling.

By the way, I've ordered an I2S kit from Kingwa. I'm pondering getting an exadevices async USB board and installing that.

Hello Currawong,

You have ordered the Exadevice now?

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2,602 of 2,738
This may be a little off topic...I've been enjoying my Reference One for a little over a year now. Has the DSP-1 v5 and is working great, but it gets a little hot as various members have noted. I just noticed today that the voltage sticker reads 110v. I am feeding the Reference One through the DI with separate power supply which has a voltage sticker of 125v. Would this cause any problems in the long-term, or have impact on SQ? Do the newer USA Reference 7.1 have 110v or 125v sticker? I've noticed on the Audio GD website the voltage for the Ref 7.1 is noted between 100-120v. I realize these power supplies are built to handle a variation in the input voltage so I'm not too concerned...As I mentioned, I've been enjoying the Reference One without problems for a while now but maybe those with more knowledge of electronics can enlighten me. Thanks!

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #2,604 of 2,738
This may be a little off topic...I've been enjoying my Reference One for a little over a year now. Has the DSP-1 v5 and is working great, but it gets a little hot as various members have noted. I just noticed today that the voltage sticker reads 110v. I am feeding the Reference One through the DI with separate power supply which has a voltage sticker of 125v. Would this cause any problems in the long-term, or have impact on SQ? Do the newer USA Reference 7.1 have 110v or 125v sticker? I've noticed on the Audio GD website the voltage for the Ref 7.1 is noted between 100-120v. I realize these power supplies are built to handle a variation in the input voltage so I'm not too concerned...As I mentioned, I've been enjoying the Reference One without problems for a while now but maybe those with more knowledge of electronics can enlighten me. Thanks!

The Ref 1 got hot. The 7.1 doesn't.

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #2,607 of 2,738
Just saw an interesting custom option I haven't seen before - cables from Toxic Cables UK, http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/RE7.1/RE7.1EN_Custom.htm .

I wonder what those bring to the table...?

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #2,608 of 2,738
Quote:
Yeah, mine gets that maybe at most but usually runs fairly cool.

Interesting, fairly cool like how many degree C?  and what's your room temperature?

My room temperature is like 30C, I would say my Ref. 7.1 runs about 41-42C (definitely hotter than my body temperature which is about 36.7), never really measure though.
In contrast to my NFB-2, it goes like about 31 to 33 max, that's how cool it is.

Is that sounds similar to your 7.1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back