Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Nov 21, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #1,201 of 2,738

Quote:
Got my ref7 this morning.  Its just sitting there because I have no idea where I'll put it.  The thing is bloody gigantic and heavy...I was hoping it wasn't as large as I was led to believe, it is large.  Looks like I'll have to retire my Yamaha receiver to storage, so no impressions until I can re-arrange a whole heap of crap in my place.  Very thick and solid panels, really impressive.  The thing is as long as it is wide, the only piece of Hi-Fi equipment I've seen with this weird dimension - its going to be troublesome accommodating it.  If it equals or surpasses the Bryston subjectively, I'll keep it and axe the Bryston - otherwise I have no problem passing this unit on.

agreed, nothing i had read or seen had even remotely prepared me for the immense size of the REF-7, i couldnt put one in my room, i have no where that it could go

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #1,202 of 2,738
Yeah, most people wouldn't think that buying a DAC would qualify as buying serious Audio IRON!

Quote:
Got my ref7 this morning.  Its just sitting there because I have no idea where I'll put it.  The thing is bloody gigantic and heavy...I was hoping it wasn't as large as I was led to believe, it is large.  Looks like I'll have to retire my Yamaha receiver to storage, so no impressions until I can re-arrange a whole heap of crap in my place.  Very thick and solid panels, really impressive.  The thing is as long as it is wide, the only piece of Hi-Fi equipment I've seen with this weird dimension - its going to be troublesome accommodating it.  If it equals or surpasses the Bryston subjectively, I'll keep it and axe the Bryston - otherwise I have no problem passing this unit on.

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #1,205 of 2,738

Quote:
I wonder if there is a demand for a single-ended Reference 7 with the same power supply quality but half of everything? I will be all over it if it exists. 

They did.  It was called the Reference 9 - exactly so, with the same PSU section, but without the half of the circuitry needed for balanced.  It was recently discontinued...but it may be worth an e-mail to Kingwa.

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #1,206 of 2,738
If you think that's big you should see the transport. The funniest thing was seeing the DHL guy struggling with the shipment when I ordered the Ref 1 and CD7 together. I guess he thought he could handle it without a dolly.

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #1,207 of 2,738
If you lack space, sit the ref 7 on its side. Make sure you put fabric underneath it, and hold it in place on both sides with shelves or something else to prevent it from falling over.

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #1,208 of 2,738

Quote:
If you lack space, sit the ref 7 on its side. Make sure you put fabric underneath it, and hold it in place on both sides with shelves or something else to prevent it from falling over.

Brilliant idea...now to work out how to implement the anti knock over support to also take up a small footprint.

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #1,209 of 2,738
Also, how the heck is this DAC "lean" or even "neutral"...if the Dacmagic is supposedly "lean"...and the Bryston is supposedly "neutral" with a touch of "warmth"...???

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #1,210 of 2,738

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder if there is a demand for a single-ended Reference 7 with the same power supply quality but half of everything? I will be all over it if it exists. 

They did.  It was called the Reference 9 - exactly so, with the same PSU section, but without the half of the circuitry needed for balanced.  It was recently discontinued...but it may be worth an e-mail to Kingwa.

I thought Reference 9 is supposed to be one of his musical DACs? 

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #1,211 of 2,738

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought Reference 9 is supposed to be one of his musical DACs? 

Some experienced members here argue that the "musical" line is more advanced than the "neutral" line...that the musical line is more "neutral" and the neutral line is a tad "leaner".

I beg to differ.

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #1,212 of 2,738

Quote:
Quote:

Brilliant idea...now to work out how to implement the anti knock over support to also take up a small footprint.

but cooling will be compromised, I wouldn't do it personally.

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #1,213 of 2,738

You may want to look into one of those U shaped gadgets that hold small computers on their side.

Unless you put something large in contact with the front bottom of the DAC, I think putting it on it's side would make it cool much better.
Quote:

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #1,214 of 2,738
Yeah, stacking it sideways should make it cool a little better I believe, there are more slots on the bottom than on the top and the bottom should vent better.

On a similar note, I have it right now so the CD player is stacked on top of the REF7.  There is a good finger and a bit width of gap for circulation, I haven't completely blocked the vents or anything.  I have no choice at the moment, this position is not ideal as the USB won't reach the computer, and an extension causes problem on my Desktop...laptop with no extension works fine.  Its not like I can stack the REF7 on other units as it is too large which I wanted to do so the REF7 can cool better.  At the moment it gets quite warm to touch as in fairly warm, but not finger burning hot or anything.  Do you guys think that finger and a bit clearance is enough for circulation...I am a little concerned...I had the CD player stacked on top of the Yamaha receiver with no problems, but I wasn't too concerned about that piece of consumer electronics - heck I never even remember checking how hot that got.

I have spent all night listening to the REF7 and cross referencing its qualities to the Bryston...the sun is coming up now and I am very tired.  I'll post my impressions tomorrow (I mean later today!) after some more evaluations with a fresh set of ears.  I will leave you guys with this statement: 

There is a reason as to why this REF7 is so revered by quite a few very experienced head-fiers - these head-fiers seem to have a closer affiliation to acoustic instruments over your typical head-fier, who tend to compare equipment to other equipment.  Whereas a few members draw comparisons to instruments that they are intimately familiar with, these members tend to gravitate towards the Audio GD threads.

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #1,215 of 2,738
SP Wild, congrats with your Ref.7.
Please let it play for a week (night and day) and then listen again.
Audio-gd stuff NEEDS burning in, at least a few hundred hours!
I suppose it's because of all the "discrete parts" in it.

After burning in, Audio-gd gear needs warming up, at least one hour before use!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back