Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Oct 14, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #677 of 2,738
Can I use the Reference 7 like the NuForce uDAC and attach RCA cables (from my amp) into the Ref 7 and then USB from the Ref 7 to my computer? My current set up is:

HD800> Matrix-M Stage Amp > RCA Cables > Nuforce uDAC > Computer

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #678 of 2,738

Quote:
Can I use the Reference 7 like the NuForce uDAC and attach RCA cables (from my amp) into the Ref 7 and then USB from the Ref 7 to my computer? My current set up is:

If you get the USB version this is exactly what it can do.  From udac to REF7, you must be serious about analogy.
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #679 of 2,738

Quote:
Did anyone already compare REF-7 and REF-7-SE?

I doubt there is any measurable or sonic difference.

Quote:

Yes, if you get the Ref-7 with the USB input option, which I think he charges an additional $50 for.  The RCA cables will then go from the DAC to the amp.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #680 of 2,738
Thats cool. I would be looking to upgrade to coaxial in a couple of months time then by getting this:

http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/Portable_Computer_Audio/product/HiFace/M2Tech_HiFace_Turns_an_Ordinary_PC_into_an_Audiophile_Music_Server.htm

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #682 of 2,738

Quote:
Thats cool. I would be looking to upgrade to coaxial in a couple of months time then by getting this:

http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/Portable_Computer_Audio/product/HiFace/M2Tech_HiFace_Turns_an_Ordinary_PC_into_an_Audiophile_Music_Server.htm

If you're using it with the REF 7, you're probably going to want better performance than the Hiface has. If you have only 16/44 files, the ART Legato would sound way better. There's also the WaveLink and the Off-ramp if you want to go real high-end.

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #683 of 2,738

Quote:
If you're using it with the REF 7, you're probably going to want better performance than the Hiface has. If you have only 16/44 files, the ART Legato would sound way better. There's also the WaveLink and the Off-ramp if you want to go real high-end.

Or you could spend $40 and power the Hiface clocks with batteries.  I put up instruction in the DIY forum.

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #684 of 2,738
Kingwa told me the new DSP-1 only only had 10 mins burn in, so it is not even close to sounding as it should... I´ve started burn in today, I´ll let you guys know how it changes. To answer IpodPJ´s question, if the sound doesn´t change I´d definately keep V4 and V5, they are quite different. A switch to move between the two signatures would be perfect
smily_headphones1.gif
 So no, I don´t think it is better. It is better in some things, but I miss the smoothness too. Having both would be perfect.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #687 of 2,738
Wav is as lossless as it gets.

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #688 of 2,738

Quote:
I use WAV files. (1411 kbps) What better format files are there?

I'm talking about bit rate, not compression. The ART Legato will only support 16-bit/44.1khz files (FLAC, WAV, APE, whatever) by design, they claim they get the best sound with one clock that only handles one frequency. The Legato costs about the same as the M2Tech EVO which does everything, but may not sound as good. I don't think an EVO vs. Legato comparison has been done. The WaveLink and Off-ramp can also do both standard and high-res, but at considerably more cost.

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #689 of 2,738

Quote:
I'm talking about bit rate, not compression. The ART Legato will only support 16-bit/44.1khz files (FLAC, WAV, APE, whatever) by design, they claim they get the best sound with one clock that only handles one frequency. The Legato costs about the same as the M2Tech EVO which does everything, but may not sound as good. I don't think an EVO vs. Legato comparison has been done. The WaveLink and Off-ramp can also do both standard and high-res, but at considerably more cost.

I ordered the PS Audio DLIII this week. If I was to get the ART Legato, would it conflict with the DLIII? I am saying this as DLIII only sample 96khz or 192khz, while the Legato only does 44khz.

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #690 of 2,738
Updated DSP V5 impressions, this time after burn-in. Previous one was done straight out of the box, didn´t know it hadn´t gone through the standard factory run...

During the weekend I´ve switched the filter two times to make some comparisons, and also burned in the new DSP-1 for about two days, mostly win music running. So, has anything changed? Yes, but I still stand by the overall direction of my original impressions. But most importantly: it´s become way smoother than it was out of the box. My main concern is gone: it´s smooth again, the trademark sound is there. Kingwa should burn these in before shipping them...

As I said, I still stand by the direction of my first post: in other words I still see it as slightly more analytical. Why? Because there is more microdetail, instrument and vocal separation is stronger, and the bass is more emphasized in the overall sound signature. Listened to Depeche Mode´s Violator and the bass has clearly more impact now. On the other hand I no longer believe this has any less roll-off, it´s simply a matter of it sounding more neutral as in the frequencies are more balanced. Seems to be a very good upgrade, especially when you consider bass impact/attack was the largest issue raised in the various Phoenix/REF7 reviews.

So no, it doesn´t change the signature REF7 sound as much as I originally thought, but I still believe it moves it slightly towards the "high fidelity" signature, which is simply the logical consequence of having more microdetail and clarity. 

All in all, I agree with the official change list: 

[size=small]Quality improvement:[/size] 
1, the full frequency more balanced, low dive deeper and more clear, more delicate sound. 
2, the sound field changes, surrounded by a sense of better, as before 16 to 9 50-inch TV, and now as the 80-inch 4 to 3. 
3, the location of various musical instruments separation is more obvious, especially for large symphony significantly improved separation of various musical instruments. 
4, the subtle sounds more clearly, to listen to audio glitches being made smaller.

(translated via Google translate)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back