Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Oct 3, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #541 of 2,738

Quote:
Thanks for the great info - not that I would ever mod Kingwa's designs ( I cant even mod a cable
redface.gif
) but I wonder if mains power spikes could damage the chips?

In the case of the Lite DAC60 it was just a poor design with a 180V tube sharing the same small ground trace as the PCM1704.  I would have a surge suppressor but everyone uses those.

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #542 of 2,738

Quote:
If he has really sold 20,000 chips, why wouldn't he place an order for a new reel?  It can't be the cost, since you can get them for $18 each when you buy 1000 of them.  We know it can't be the cost since his Altera chip is like $50 and he uses it in the Digital Interface, plus people are willing to pay the extra amount.  So it sounds like he just prefers the Sabre.  It must sound better, and he probably doesn't want to say that yet empirically until he is able to sell the rest of his R2R units.  This is the only scenario that makes sense.

The other reason is: as the Sabre is of a simplier implementation, it will be easier for mass production (i.e. the NFB1 and NFB7 uses the same digital section PCB), and potentially give Kingwa better profit margin (fewer components, fewer QC steps, no need to pay external guy to write DSP codes...). As the Audio-gd business is getting bigger, the single chip Sabre design makes much more sense than the 8 x PCM1704 + external DSP implementation, say,  if they are within 5% the performance of each others.  For whom do not know the labour cost in China has also been rising in recent years.

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #543 of 2,738

The other reason is: as the Sabre is of a simplier implementation, it will be easier for mass production (i.e. the NFB1 and NFB7 uses the same digital section PCB), and potentially give Kingwa better profit margin (fewer components, fewer QC steps, no need to pay external guy to write DSP codes...). As the Audio-gd business is getting bigger, the single chip Sabre design makes much more sense than the 8 x PCM1704 + external DSP implementation, say,  if they are within 5% the performance of each others.  For whom do not know the labour cost in China has also been rising in recent years.

Hmm, and the C-core transformators are replaced by toroids...no doubt you are right and costs have gone up; glad I've got one of the old batch.

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #546 of 2,738
Ah, my mistake, you're right on both accounts, I was looking at the wrong picture. Sorry for the confusion.

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #548 of 2,738
Heck I am this close to pulling the trigger on the ref-7.  I just don't want to miss the boat with these PCM1704 dac chips - I've emailed AudioGD,  the balance now hangs in his customer service.

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #550 of 2,738

Quote:
Heck I am this close to pulling the trigger on the ref-7.  I just don't want to miss the boat with these PCM1704 dac chips - I've emailed AudioGD,  the balance now hangs in his customer service.

In that case you are going to buy one because the customer service is pretty good.

24hr turn around usually...

Oct 4, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #552 of 2,738
Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You sure you don't want RE-7 HE?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #554 of 2,738
I purchased my Ref 5 from Pacific Valve and the Ref 7 from AGD. Price plus shipping is about the same, shipping from AGD was faster because instead of them shipping to PV then to me AGD just shipped straight to me.

Oh and shipping from PV was double boxed, essentially PV added a box when they got the shipment from AGD.

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #555 of 2,738
If you don't mind the extra wait, ordering from Pacific Valve gives you the benefit of repairs being performed in the US instead of overseas. Shipping to Chicago is almost always going to be less expensive than shipping to China. I recently placed an order for a Reference 9 through PV, and it was $1222 instead of $1249 through AGD. PV also has a promotion going on where you can get free AGD interconnects (RCA or ACSS) and an AGD power cable for $25. I started looking at Pacific Valve because I didn't want to figure out bank transfer or pay the PayPal fees, and it just turned out being a better deal. Though the wait is killing me 
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back